I found a lot of people here may be from china
Aug 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #106 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by policeman0077 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean you are shanghainess or you are american in new jersey and you are in a flight to shanghai

Native of Shanghai. Live in New Jersey, but I travel to Shanghai a lot for business.

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #107 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Native of Shanghai. Live in New Jersey, but I travel to Shanghai a lot for business.

your english is so well
atsmile.gif

how did you learn it?

Aug 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #108 of 167
Quote:

they may mostly japaness not chinese

Wha?

Quote:

MA??? The smartest state in the US??

If we're supposed to be the smartest state, than Pretzel save us all.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #110 of 167
^ Well I'm referring to mainly Americanized Asians. As a whole, they have no real identity in America, so they become very susceptible to influence by the media etc.

Aug 22, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #111 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Well I'm referring to mainly Americanized Asians. As a whole, they have no real identity in America, so they become very susceptible to influence by the media etc.

may be

Aug 22, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #112 of 167
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, chinese girls are way too conservative...

A lot of Chinese are, I asked some Chinese people here or they know about Tiananmen Square protests, and a lot didn't know and refused to believe it..
so indoctrinated

Aug 22, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #113 of 167
What I gather, China's improved a lot in that department, but the government still is pretty strict (i.e. Great Firewall of China..), and IMO japan and korea are much more worldly, open, and generally less parochial...it definitely has to do something with the government, economics, and general political structure...

That's why I think I'm going to have to go with a japanese or korean girl, (my mom studied in japan, so she wouldn't mind)...I need to learn both languages just in case...I wouldn't mind living in either country for a while either, maybe once I go to college, I'll find an exchange program for a couple of months...

There's probably some great japanese or korean girls in cali that I might meet in the future, but this place is infested with the chinese, as of now...

Aug 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #114 of 167
In junior high, I had a conversation with a teacher who thought all the Chinese came here specifically to learn from our top schools then relay the info back to their govt. Guy was actually arrested later for something gambling-related.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #115 of 167
Quote:

as we all know Zheng Chenggong was in the charge of taiwan from 1662
and after world war II japan surrended and then HeYingQin ,the represent of China, received taiwan. so, undoubtedly taiwan is a part of China.

So the world only begins in 1662? How about the yuan zhu ming (Native Taiwanese?) who were there before Zheng Chenggong? Perhaps at that time Taiwan did not exist.. Actually, I think Genghis Khan ruled China for a while before 1662- does that make China part of Mongolia? Your arguments are littered with logical loopholes. In effect you're saying:

"What matters is what had happened from 1662 and also after world war 2" "And btw, whether Taiwan accepts that Japan had the legal right to surrender Taiwan to China is not important" "Oh one more thing, if Japan could and did surrender Taiwan to China, there is no way this can change right now, even if Taiwanese people decide that they no longer want to be part of China"

While history matters, it is far from the only determinant of what country a region belongs to. In fact, 'history' is extremely subjective, and is riddled with problems with interpretations of what documents are legal (eg. Japan's surrender of Taiwan), which period matters (do we start counting from 1662 like you do, or some time in 1000bc? Did the Chinese empire only begin in 1662 with the Qing Dynasty, or did it begin even before the Xia Dynasty? If we are only concerned about 1662, then either 1) Before the Qing dynasty there was no China, only different dynasties, and China as we know it only applies after 1662 (just like Taiwan's relevant history is only from 1662) 2) Taiwan is part of the Qing dynasty, not China (since Chinese history stretches before 1662, and China's claim on Taiwan does not begin before that). In addition, how do we know that Zheng Chenggong was legally 'in charge' of Taiwan'? I could literally go on forever, but my point is, this is not a question of merely history. There is healthy debate on what history is relevant, the politics of the matter, the Taiwanese people's choice, etc.

I'm not the only one irritated about your posts, although I'm the only one who has picked up on Taiwan. Others seem to take offense to:

1) your stereotypes/biases on how Chinese people can act. For instance, you think Chinese people aren't promiscuious. My gosh, anyone who has spent anytime in China at all will know that there are prostitutes EVERYWHERE, far more than in Japan. Now, it could very well be that all these prostitutes (and the men visiting them) aren't Chinese. They're Japanese... which brings me to my next point:

2) your stereotypes/biases on Japanese people. Again, I suspect you're pulling this out of your ass because how many Japanese people do you know who live in the US anyway? Even if you did know many of them (I realise this is a slight contradiction from the implications of my first question), how well do you understand them?

Actually I really like your proverb ("when the environment changes people change"). I honestly don't think you're trying to be offensive- instead, I think that (and I find that of a lot of the Chinese people I interact with) you've grown up in a culture that is very inclusive, very inward-looking, with very fixed preconceptions of the world, and this 'environment' has made you who you are. Maybe you can try listening more on this thread and understanding how people outside of China think, and maybe question some of the assumptions you've grown up with at the same time.

A good exercise for anyone, to be sure, not just those from China.

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #116 of 167
Jelt, you aren't chinese or asian? This is impressive.

I think the majority of mainlanders have the conviction that Taiwan is theirs. Even my dad, who's lived here in California for almost 20 years shares some of the same thoughts on Taiwan. I guess it's part of the parochialism that's embedded in the chinese (mainland).

Maybe he's just trying to get his post# up...oh look, it's already +100...

Aug 23, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #117 of 167
I'm originally from Singapore, but have spent the past couple of years in the US.

This parochialism is also typically tied to nationalism, that unfortunately tends to affect even the best and most highly educated (who may not be parochial, but seem to find it difficult to escape from applying that same wisdom to nationalistic issues).

I recall a conversation I had with a Chinese friend here about Tibet (and I go to a good business school in the US so this friend was certainly very highly educated), and her first (ok, and second, to be precise) sentence went like this: "I really can't understand the Tibetans. Why would they act this way against their own country?"

I ended the conversation right there.

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #119 of 167
Mother tongue English. I'm doing my MBA at Wharton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back