I finally got my Sony MDR-R10s!!!
Oct 19, 2004 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

WulfmanJax

100+ Head-Fier
This has REALLY been an eventful last few days... I'm not sure how to tell the story without dragging it out forever.... Ok, well, the guy i bought my cables from (some local guy who does this stuff as a hobby) actually CALLED me up the other day to see how i liked them. I said i haven't got to really test them yet as i still didn't have my amp or headphones. I mentioned i was in the hunt for some Sony MDR-R10s and he said he knew a few people that still had some in stock. The closest guy he knew lived in Dallas.

Well, wouldn't it be my luck that my dad and i were going to see Queensryche down in Dallas on the 15th! So, of coarse we go down there, see the show, stay the night, then, on the 16th, we go to see the guy. Turns out he doesn't even have a shop, per say. He just collects stuff and usually sells and/or trades them at shows and stuff. The cable guy told us he'd call him and tell him we would be coming. So, we show up, talk to the guy for SEVERAL hours. He lets me try the phones out on the R10s with his system... Needless to say they blew me away... I have never heard anything so amazing in my life. Anyway, we talked for a long time and, to make an incredibly long story short, we come to terms on a price. We finally got back on the 17th and i've been sleeping, more or less, ever since.

I don't want to start a controversy like the Hart thread, so i'm not going to disclose the guy's name or price. Let's just say it's a price i definitely felt was more than fair. I seriously could not be happier. Can't wait for my amp to get in so i can get everything hooked up...

I just want to sincerely thank everyone who's taken time to help me put this whole thing together. I would've been completely lost if not for so many of the fine folks here. The reviews and recommendations have all been so incredibly helpful. Hopefully one of these days i'll be able to make it to some sort of audio "hi-fi" convention and try out even more stuff. But for the moment, and probably for an extremely long time i think i'm going to be really happy.

As a side note, i don't want people to think i spent ALL of my life savings on this system. I still have more than enough to build on. I spent a good chunk of it, but, IMHO, it's money well spent. I spend more time listening to my music than anything else. I just figured i have the money, i might as well make it an experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by WulfmanJax
As a side note, i don't want people to think i spent ALL of my life savings on this system. I still have more than enough to build on. I spent a good chunk of it, but, IMHO, it's money well spent. I spend more time listening to my music than anything else. I just figured i have the money, i might as well make it an experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

The motto of this site isn't "Welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet!" for nothing. We'll see how your life savings hold up after a few more months on this site
wink.gif
... Enjoy those cans!
icon10.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 46
congrats on your new cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by NKT
The motto of this site isn't "Welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet!" for nothing. We'll see how your life savings hold up after a few more months on this site
wink.gif
... Enjoy those cans!
icon10.gif

That could be the motto for alot of hobbies... I've seen guitar hobbyists spend upwards of $20k plus on setups... With like 20+ guitars... Sometimes muliple copies of the EXACT same brand and model.
eek.gif

Maybe i'm weird or something... but when it comes to stuff like this and guitars, i just want ONE great setup. So while i may spend alot on that setup, i know it's atleast ALMOST as good as the very best out there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
If you have them in your possession, let's see some pictures! Are they as beautiful as the W2002s?
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

I don't have a digital camera, but my friend does. So i'll borrow it when i get it all set up and get pictures of everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 46
Nice. I like the strategy of going straight to the top and avoiding incremental upgrades.

What is the rest of your system?

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 46
I think the W2002 is more beautiful.
tongue.gif

shot of my MDR-R10 and ATH-W2002 (and some other stuff in there)

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Nice. I like the strategy of going straight to the top and avoiding incremental upgrades.

there are always side-grades.
evil_smiley.gif

see the nice cans I linked to above? those sound great with the Supra too. (well, at least the ones that are dynamic cans and work with the Supra.)

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan

What is the rest of your system?

Rega Jupiter, SinglePower Supra, Virtual Dynamics Nite II ICs and Nite II power cords for the Jupiter and Supra.

And yeah, that was my strategy. That was my problem when i got into the guitar thing years back. Started with the basics, and ended up upgrading and losing lots of money before FINALLY finding the perfect rig. I wanted to avoid that first part with this whole headphone thing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I think the W2002 is more beautiful.
tongue.gif

shot of my MDR-R10 and ATH-W2002 (and some other stuff in there)

Yeah, those Leatherheads and W2002 sure do look nice... But from everything i heard and from everything my gut was telling me, those R10s were for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
there are always side-grades.
evil_smiley.gif

see the nice cans I linked to above? those sound great with the Supra too. (well, at least the ones that are dynamic cans and work with the Supra.)

I have no doubt that most would've sounded great... It's just that... i don't know, something was just CALLING me towards those R10s. And i just KNEW that if i didn't get them soon, i might not have an opportunity later. Sure there are always the used and ebay thing, but getting one that way is a long shot with so many others looking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back