I finally decided RE-ZERO's over the RE-0's
Oct 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

jschristian44

Member of the Trade: Justin's Headphone Modding
CAUTION: Incomplete trades
After doing much, much, and yet again I say much research, I got the RE-ZERO's.  The main thing that persuaded me, is the better detail in the voices in male/female rock/pop songs.  I originally wanted to get the RE-0's because of their clarity and detail.  But then, I saw that the RE-ZERO's look tons nicer, have the same sound almost, and have better bass.  So it was really a no brainer considering they only made 1000 of these things and I myself am a collector.  I like to collect limited edition things.  I really hope I made the right choice, and if anyone with the RE-0's could chime in and tell me what their earphones are good at, it would be great.  I listen to stuff that varies from Eric Clapton to Michael Jackson.  Actually, I listen to everything besides Country.  I will be doing my mini-review of the RE-ZERO's here when I get them burned-in a little bit, but I'm no expert in reviewing headphones like some people here.

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 86
Head-direct tricked us, RE-Zero is no longer limited. They deleted the word limited in their site.

Well, if this was planned, they did a really good job of advertising a new product. If this was not, they made a wise choice. And, I'm happy with the sound, so I don't blame them.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 86
I think the RE-ZERO is a significantly better earphone than the RE0.  I wish I could say the RE0 was close, but I just don't feel that way.  I think the RE0 is limited in many areas, including: uneven frequency response, lack of dynamics, and poor ability to create any meaningful sound stage.  The ability to work on things that aren't powerful amps is also a big plus.  So what does the RE0 actually do better?  Well, texture.  Some may call treble detail to be a benefit too.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 86
yeah that's what i figured.  but coming from my ad700's which lacked bass completely, they were great for eric clapton and stuff like that , but when it came to linkin park or dr dre or something, they just didnt cut it.  thats why i think the re-zero will be a better all arounder than the re-0 because it has more bass, better mids, etc.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 86
i had them both at the same time and sold the RE0s i had for 8 months.The mids are what appealed to me with the ZEROs. Great for vocals. The RE0s seemed a little dry in the mids by comparison.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 86
paulypaul, since you've had the RE-ZERO at the same time as the RE0, do you know if they made the earphone hole a little bigger? The reason I'm asking is that when I bring the RE0 to the gym, it gets waterlogged after about 45 minutes and stops producing sound.

P.S., props to whoever came up with the naming scheme.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #7 of 86
if it's no longer a limited 1000-pcs only thing i am glad

these babies are very nice and now i could go on and buy a 2nd if i decide to,without having the fear of being sold out

on the other hand , if those are no longer limited , the warranty should go back to normal ie 1 year and not just 3 months

i am emailing them asking for a warranty extension and all of you who bought one should do so yourselves

enjoy your zero , these are some nice IEM's

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 86
I would say both the sound nozzle hole and the port holes are the same as the RE0
Quote:
XxATOLxX said:

paulypaul, since you've had the RE-ZERO at the same time as the RE0, do you know if they made the earphone hole a little bigger? The reason I'm asking is that when I bring the RE0 to the gym, it gets waterlogged after about 45 minutes and stops producing sound.

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 86
yeah, when i first starting to search for IEM's, i found endless reviews on the re-0 and i was pretty much set on them.  but after doing more research on the re-zero, i found the mids were way better, they look tons cooler, they have a balanced connection on them, and i heard they have just as much clarity as the re-0's.  plus i've heard they are easier to drive, which is a plus when i connect them to just a source without an amp.  there was only one website that raved the re-0 way over the re-zero for some reason.

RE-ZERO's
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/REZERO/3.html

RE-0's
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/RE0/

the guy reviewed the re-0's in 2008 and the re-zero's just a few months ago, so my guess is that it's just his preference, like a lot of people said it's just preference in the sound.  but after weighing out everything and reading teh re-zero's have better vocals, i was sold on them because i listen to a lot of acoustical music and rock/pop that demands details in vocals that i would really like to hear.  same with movies i think they will really shine.  originally i thought the re-0's were much better because i heard they create the most detail in things, which i am pretty much a detail/treble freak.  but the re-zero's will produce just as much detail in things right?

Oct 27, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 86
zeROcks.

Oct 27, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 86
Good choice.

Personally, I didn't find the RE-ZEROs to be significantly better than the RE0s but for what you're looking for, I'd say the ZEROs are the better choice. I hope you enjoy them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 86
yeah and i figured that guy who gave those reviews, since he gave the re0's when they came out and he paid like 200 and got a free e3 with them, i imagine he was really excited because the e3 was probably really cool back then and the re0's were probably the best iem's he has heard then.  and now the re-zero's came out and he was less impressed but he still gave them a good review.  but yeah for all the things i was looking for, i thinkt he re-zero's were the much better choice.  but i am a detail freak so i was glad to hear most of the detail was still there.

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #13 of 86
is a FiiO E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier gonna improve my listening pleasure with the zero's ?

Are there other mini,kinda cheap amplifiers that you would propose for use with the zero's ?

anyone ?

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 86

Quote:
is a FiiO E5 Portable Headphone Amplifier gonna improve my listening pleasure with the zero's ?

Are there other mini,kinda cheap amplifiers that you would propose for use with the zero's ?

anyone ?

i've done a little research on this as well.  if you have 25 dollars for the e5, i would suggest if you have like 50 dollars more, to get a mini^3 amplifier.  they look tons cooler and i think they would create a much nicer sound for the price paid.  i heard endless good reviews about them working with smaller headphones that benefit from amps.  the re-zero's don't require as much amp usage as the re-0's do, but they still like it.  that's another reason why i bought the zero instead of the 0, because it's easier to drive.  but yes, both headphones would very much appreciate an amp.  i think anything out there will benefit from amplifier's, but the re-0's need it more than the zero's.  if i were you, i'd use your money to invest in better sources, like if your still using a realtek HD sound from your computer, get an upgraded sound card.  i just got a modded xtrememusic xfi, and i just have to say wow it's so much better than the realtek.  realtek i thought was ok, but it is total crap.  so i would suggest upgrading that stuff first.  also, i have a ha400 behringer amp to act as a switch panel for my desktop speakers/headphones and it's working rather nice for me.  but the mini^3 will make your re-0's and re-zero's sound the best for the price range it is in.  i'm trying to find a link to the one already built.

Oct 27, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #15 of 86
i'm gonna check it out asap

thanx a ton for the info
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back