i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier impressions
Oct 9, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #31 of 118
The ipower is a problem. When i had a nano usb3 the ipower provided squaled at a high pitch, an issue that is common. Seems like there are consistent complaints around the ipower and imo it is a weak link. So the ipurifier may be even better with a proper linear supply. Ifi should make linear power supplies for these devices.

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #32 of 118
  Received my SPDIF iPurifier two days ago. Have been burning it in with my Modi Multibit DAC non-stop sense they were unboxed. Didn't bother to listen to them without burn in.

Listened today and I noticed a noticeable noise coming from my headphones when no music was playing. My audio chain is as follows.

(PC w/ Asus Xonar STX -> Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1659A Coax (True 75Ohm, FEP/Teflon Insulation, solid coppor conductor, Canare RCA plugs) -> IFI SPDIF iPurifier direct into -> Schiit Audio Modi Multibit DAC -> Audioquest Evergreen RCA to 3.5mm Male -> JDS Labs CMOY -> Meze Audio 99 Classic Headphones.

I randomly noticed that when I Touched (grounded) my CMOY, that the noise stopped. Oddily enough, even when the CMOY was OFF, the noise was still there. I knew I had to isolate the problem in the audio chain.

I have a RCA to 3.5mm female adapter cable, I plugged that into my Modi MB, and headphones directly into the Modi MB. Interestingly enough the Modi MB drives my headphones without an amplifier. Anyway, the noise was still there.

I immediately went to investigate the iFi SPDIF iPurifier. I touched it and guess what, the noise was attenuated. Oddily enough the noise stopped when I touched it right on the logo. I unplugged the power from the iPurifier and the noise went away. I investigated further; plugging the power back into the iPurifier, the noise came back. Using the input selection switch to toggle to optical input on the Modi MB did nothing; the noise was still there and would go away with touching the iPurifier.

I took the iPurifier out of the audio chain and connected my Blue Jeans Coax directly into my Modi MB DAC, no noise

EDIT: After some through experimenting, i found that the culprit is an odd combination of the Ifi power supply and the SPDIF iPurifier. Long story short, the Ifi power supply is injecting noise on the power line.
I found this out by unplugging my headphones and started touching the 3.5mm headphone plug against various metal things. I touched it to my BJC Coax output and noticed there was noise- WTH? I plugged it into my Schiit Modi MB DAC with NO inputs- just power, and the noise was there. I was really confused at this point. I unplugged the ifi power supply and the noise vanished. 

Plugging the ifi power supply back in, i unplugged the SPDIF iPurifier from the power supply, and the noise was noticeably decreased. Extremely odd. Even weirder is plugging the power supply in (without iPurifier), the noise increases dramatically by coiling the cable up...WTH. 

Anyway, i found a way to produce noise in a reproducible way that proves it's injecting noise into the power lines; it is possible to see if your product is doing it.

*Plug in your DAC with no inputs- just power, and turn it on. In my case I'm my Schiit Modi MB.
*Connect Headphones into DAC- directly or through your headphone amp, whichever.
*Connect Ifi power supply and ifi SPDIF iPurifier, do not connect into DAC.
*Touch your iPurifier, notice that noise does not exist when not touched.
*Realize that your DAC has no inputs, and your hearing noise through your DAC only when you touch the SPDIF iPurifier.
*Unplug Ifi power supply & iPurifier combo, notice that the noise completely goes away.

Sounds like a ground loop issue.  Or the iPower is feeding high levels of noise back into the AC lines - as most SMPS are known to do.

One good solution (and what I have had good success with) is using separate Art Audio PB4X4Pro AC line filters and isolators.  One for my DDC chain - another dedicated for my DAC and a third for my PC Server.  I try and keep my DAC fed with as clean of power as possible.

They aren't to expensive - $85.  If anyone decides to try one - be sure to get the 'Pro' version, the regular 4X4 doesn't have the AC filtering.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=433046&gclid=CM_CipKPzs8CFcOBfgodh0YMFQ&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91438732682%2C&A=details&Q=

All PRO SERIES models have an additional internal discrete module called APF™ (Advanced Power Filtering) which filters out digital and dimmer hash as well as any high frequency noise that is above the audio range. Some off-the-shelf add-on modules saturate and lose their filtering effectiveness as the load increases, but by using a high power discrete design we were able to create a filter that stays effective over the full operating range.
By using both Common Mode and Differential Mode topologies in series for the filter design we are able to block virtually all of the unwanted noise that is between the AC line and ground, and also the two sides of the AC line. This has the additional benefit of reducing ground loop problems in your system. High frequency noise currents in particular are highly attenuated in both directions so that any line noise that could be generated by one of your components is not allowed to get back into your main A.C. wiring so if you use a number of PRO SERIES Power Conditioners in your setup, you can distribute and isolate the noisy components from the sensitive components in your system. Additionally, any signals above 10kHz are filtered from the line with over 40dB of attenuation above 100kHz and beyond.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #33 of 118
Hi Rob, 

With 4 days passed, any improvement with the iPurifier with your DAC60?
Still waitng for my replacement and wondering what is your experience?
I am also a happy Singxer F1 user thanks to your recommendations.
Appreciate the great advice so far, the SQ just gets better and better.

Oct 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #34 of 118
  Hi Rob, 

With 4 days passed, any improvement with the iPurifier with your DAC60?
Still waitng for my replacement and wondering what is your experience?
I am also a happy Singxer F1 user thanks to your recommendations.
Appreciate the great advice so far, the SQ just gets better and better.

It's made the sound worse.  Sending it back.  I really like what the Synerigstic Research Element Copper SPDIF does directly between the F-1 and the DAC60.  It's somewhat subtle  - but over many weeks of listening - there is a magic there.

Very sweet sounding  - I added the Galileo MPC and that was even better.

The F-1 doesn't use a output transformer for SPDIF galvanic isolation but a CLPD chip.  I went through my USB chain trying to eliminate those things that where not really adding much.

So sold the Curious link - but kept most of the rest.

PC>JB (modded to VBUS +5VDC blocker)>2G split cable (data leg only)>Recovery>iPur2>F-1>SR Element Copper SPDIF Digital Cable>DAC60.

The Recovery is fed from a TeraDak DC-30W (upgraded caps) and DC iPur to supply 9VDC.

I really wanted the iSPDIF to work - and I really like the iPur 2 and DC iPur.  But it robbed that natural musicality and added an edginess.  A relief to remove it.  I also noticed the included iPower - made the SQ worse - better without it plugged in.  SMPS noise added back through the mains?

Oh well,  trial and error - sometimes success.

Oct 14, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #35 of 118
Yeah, trial and error, sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much...

And as always there is synergy at play besides the quality of the source, the implementation of the SPDIF input of the DAC, cables etc. Man, it's not easy/cheap to get those last persentages in SQ...
beyersmile.png

Speaking about synergy, yesterday I reveived my E-MU Teak headphones. My current cans are Fidelio X2. I use Marantz HD DAC1 and also a Graham Slee Novo with linear power supply connected to the line out of the HD-DAC1.

When using the X2 I get more balanced and dynamic sound from the NOVO. The HD DAC 1 comes as too velvety and mid-centered.
When using the EMU Teak with it's better resolution and slightly recessed mids the HD-DAC 1 obvously balances out and the end result is more pleasing. The NOVO in this case seems to over-emphasize the U-shape.

This only confirms I think that only testing in one's own set-up can show if a component is good or bad for this particular set-up and of course taste. I will share my thoughts when I get my replacement unit. 

By the way, did you test powering the iPurifier with a linear PSU? Probably this could lead to better results?

Oct 14, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #36 of 118
  Yeah, trial and error, sometimes for the better, sometimes not so much...

And as always there is synergy at play besides the quality of the source, the implementation of the SPDIF input of the DAC, cables etc. Man, it's not easy/cheap to get those last persentages in SQ...
beyersmile.png

Speaking about synergy, yesterday I reveived my E-MU Teak headphones. My current cans are Fidelio X2. I use Marantz HD DAC1 and also a Graham Slee Novo with linear power supply connected to the line out of the HD-DAC1.

When using the X2 I get more balanced and dynamic sound from the NOVO. The HD DAC 1 comes as too velvety and mid-centered.
When using the EMU Teak with it's better resolution and slightly recessed mids the HD-DAC 1 obvously balances out and the end result is more pleasing. The NOVO in this case seems to over-emphasize the U-shape.

This only confirms I think that only testing in one's own set-up can show if a component is good or bad for this particular set-up and of course taste. I will share my thoughts when I get my replacement unit. 

By the way, did you test powering the iPurifier with a linear PSU? Probably this could lead to better results?

I had the original iPurifer and the iUSB2.0 - the iUSB power by the new iPower and a LPS.  Sold all of them.  The original iPur is a waist of money imo.  The iPur2 is a major redesign and is excellent.    I had the best results using the iPur2 AFTER the Regen and Recovery - versus before them.  Since each has their own LDO power regulators - it kind of defeats one of the purposes of the iPur2. 

I did not try powering the iPur SPDIF with a LPS.  I was going to try that - but did not want to mess with it as I was going to return it.  The results were so poor with the iPur SPDIF  - I lost all enthusiasm.  BTW I have have the W4S Remedy - which I liked  - but not enough to justify the cost.  Same for the Mutec MC-3USB as SPDIF reclocker.  Both have better clocks on board  - as does my USB DDC - the Singxer F-1 (Crystek CCHD ultra low phase noise).  That may account for my experience.  So possibly with another USB DDC someone could get better results using the iPur SPDIF.

Oct 18, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #37 of 118
I'm using iFi S/PDIF iPurifier with my Grace m920 on coaxial input. Using DLNA renderer (over network) as digital transport and also used high-end CD player as transport. Immediately the improvement with S/PDIF iPurifier were apparent: better focus and absence of digital artifacts. It works the best with 44.1kHz (CDDA) sampling frequency where the improvement is almost ideal digital playback. It is much preferred to my high-end CD player. On higher frequencies the effect is less noticeable and I prefer my Media Player DAC chain, which produces much better focus. 

Oct 23, 2016 at 5:44 AM Post #38 of 118
I have been trying this device out and will post a proper review shortly.

I have been using it taking the coaxial output of a dx90 into the iFi S/PDIF iPurifier and then into a Chord Hugo. The Hugo feeds a SET Tube amp into stereo speakers. (Not done any real testing into headphones yet).

And the result has really surprised me. The sound shows a significant improvement and noticeable sharper focus & clarity, yet combined with an overall silky smoothness. And the difference is absolutely there and can be heard.

I guess it shows the real benefits of making the data input into your DAC to be as "clean & accurate" as possible.

Recommended for others.

Oct 23, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #40 of 118
Using the system in my signature the ifi SPDIF iPurifier has been breaking in for over three weeks now. The sound has continued to shift over that time frame. The bass heaviness heard at the ninth day wore off after another 2 days. Most recently, at about the 3 week mark, the high frequency (I think >10 kHz) was too strong and fatiguing. This has also subsided, thankfully. Neither of these sonic swings were huge, just concerning since I didn’t want the resulting sound profile for my system.

The last couple of days the ifi SPDIF iPurifier has been very pleasant. I hope it stops on this sonic profile. Its smooth, clear, beautifully detailed, excellent sense of the space recordings have been made in. The natural reverb & decay, and room reflections in a large room are astounding. I never heard most of those details before the ifi. There is an elegant, natural sound to the entire frequency range. I think the bass is better than before the ifi, stronger and cleaner, but not too much like earlier. The bass slam is still there, but not as powerful as on day 9.

I really like what it has done in my system. My one caution to others who give the ifi a try: you need some patience with it while it settles in. Heres hoping mine has settled in.
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #41 of 118
  Using the system in my signature the ifi SPDIF iPurifier has been breaking in for over three weeks now. The sound has continued to shift over that time frame. The bass heaviness heard at the ninth day wore off after another 2 days. Most recently, at about the 3 week mark, the high frequency (I think >10 kHz) was too strong and fatiguing. This has also subsided, thankfully. Neither of these sonic swings were huge, just concerning since I didn’t want the resulting sound profile for my system.

The last couple of days the ifi SPDIF iPurifier has been very pleasant. I hope it stops on this sonic profile. Its smooth, clear, beautifully detailed, excellent sense of the space recordings have been made in. The natural reverb & decay, and room reflections in a large room are astounding. I never heard most of those details before the ifi. There is an elegant, natural sound to the entire frequency range. I think the bass is better than before the ifi, stronger and cleaner, but not too much like earlier. The bass slam is still there, but not as powerful as on day 9.

I really like what it has done in my system. My one caution to others who give the ifi a try: you need some patience with it while it settles in. Heres hoping mine has settled in.
beerchug.gif

thanks for the feedback. tot mine did not work in my system. still getting harsh highs

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #42 of 118

Looks like you were hopeful on the third day.  If it has consistently been too harsh, then I think you are right.  The issue could be synergy or the unit itself.  

Mine was harsh initially, but clearly on the right path by the third day.  The fatiguing high frequencies last week sounded more like someone turned up the treble (although much higher frequency than normal treble controls).  I tried to equalize it using software, and that took away some of the room acoustics and a little of the clarity.  But that episode also only lasted for a couple of days, not weeks like in your case.

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #43 of 118

beerchug.gif

YOU ARE RIGHT! 

the highs have settled after around 3 weeks! just finally getting the tonality right today

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #45 of 118
Received my SPDIF iPurifier yesterday. Here's how I am using it:

Sony UHP-1H Universal Disc Player -->HDMI Out --> Kanex Pro HDMI De-embedder --> coax SPDIF out --> SPDIF iPurifier --> TOSLINK out --> Bel Canto DAC 2.5

See the attached photos (I will clean up the wire mess after I am satisfied this is OK
L3000.gif
 ).

Some comments:

1. There was no way for me to use the coax directly into the Bel Canto DAC input without unplugging the AES/EBU connecter next to it, which is in-use with my Bryston BDP-1; I understand why the output is a male plug, but for audiophile DAC users, I think this is going to be an issue. I could go get a female/female adapter and use a second cable, but opted to use the included plastic TOSLINK cable. Longer term, I will use one of my SILFLEX glass TOSLINK cables with a built-in mini plug connecter.

2. I am impressed that the entire playback chain can handle 192 or 176.4 across TOSLINK. Nice work, iFI Audio!

3. I am sure there were many discussions about where to place the micro USB power input, but the side seems like a bad choice, since it will always compete with adjacent SPDIF connections. Placing the connector on the bottom would have made it possible for me to use the coax connecter directly into my DAC, but I'm sure for others, YMMV.

4. The sound - glorious! My initial listening impressions are very positive and I can see using the Sony BD player as my dedicated CD, BD, DVD, DVD-Audio and SACD player (see the photo, which the shows SACD playback output as 174.4/24 PCM).

it's a keeper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back