i-Fi SPDIF iPurifier impressions
Sep 15, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 118
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM Post #17 of 118
This is what I wrote on another forum:

I received the new ifi spdif purifier, and it is impressive:

My expectations were low. IFI advertises the purifier mainly for cheap media streamers and components like Chromecast, etc. In my case I have an Oppo 103 with custom linear power supply and ethernet streaming using fiber media converters to a soekris r2r dac, so I didn't think the purifier would do much. But I've been impressed with previous IFI products and Music Direct has a great return policy so why not. 

Although the spdif purifier does not offer quite as dramatic an upgrade as the fiber media converters, it nevertheless raises overall performance up a notch. Mainly increased realism of the instruments, which I attribute to the reclocking. For other folks who don't already have a lot of isolation/linear power setups, I would not be surprised if they experienced even better results. 

Definitely worth trying for the $160.

Oct 1, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 118
Xaborus, were you able to test the SPDIF Ipurifier with the Modi Multibit

Oct 1, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 118
Xaborus, were you able to test the SPDIF Ipurifier with the Modi Multibit

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for it to ship from Music Direct. I saw other stores had them in stock but I only buy audio equipment through authorized dealers. I'll be sure to post impressions as soon as I have a hold of it!

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 118
Just added an ifi SPDIF iPurifier 3 days ago. It has been connected and running for most of that time. I wanted to try it because of a bit of softness to sounds that I thought should be crisp using a Bifrost Multibit. I also thought that the imaging was a bit fuzzy. These issues had me pondering a Gumby for its Adapticlock, greater bit depth, and discrete output section. I didn’t really want to spend that much, or have a need for balanced output. Reading comments from @ earnmyturns made me think that the input source was the real issue (http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here).

From the first listen out of the box: Success!! OK, maybe it seemed a bit like too much sharpness on a photo, but clearly there was an improvement. Initially the bass seemed well defined but weak. The ifi appears to be smoothing out over time and sounding more musical now, and the bass fullness is back. Is it me getting used to it? Is the iPurifier breaking in? The world may never know...

I have used two connections before the iPurifier: Toslink from a 2011 Mac Mini, and USB-to-S/PDIF via an Audio GD DI-V3 with the TCXO clock. Using my current Bifrost (an original that was upgraded to Uber, and then to Mulibit last December) both were similar enough that I would struggle to pick out the unimproved Toslink from the DI-V3 in a blind test. I prefered the DI-V3 over the unimproved Toslink because of the added depth to the sound’s image, and a slightly fuller sound. I never did get a Schiit USB card, so no comparison there.

And after three days? The ifi fed by Toslink is a clear improvement over the prior two inputs. I am loving the changes now, and can clearly tell the difference between the ifi and the other two inputs without the ifi. Its a keeper!

Oct 5, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #22 of 118
I am also waiting for mine to arrive. Will test it with Modi Multibit, Marantz HD-DAC1 and Chord Mojo. I will also share my experience.

Oct 5, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 118
day 1
initially had problems with computer. seemingly resolved after reboot
mashed sound with tonality leaning towards lean
hated it and wanted yank it out
tell myself it will take quite a few days to cook it up (remind me of Gustard H10)

day 2
tonality improved and bass slowly returning to the norm. still brighter than my norm
now hearing much better imaging; center voice, left and right corners better defined. even depth is better
still cannot play normal recording :frowning2:

day 3
same as above; thought this is going to suck 
still cannot play too loud 
couple of hours later the leanness slowly wearing off; OH! YES!
not sure but bass seemed to fleshed more but still tight

am going to continue to update once i hear more improvement

* equipment used
- windows 10 PC using Asus STX sound card with SPDIF out 
- Benchmark DAC2 HGC modded extensively with outboard power supply
- Dynaudio BM-5A mkII with iso acoustic Aperta stands, Rythmik F12SE sub
- Gustard H10 amp to Hifiman HE-560 (not tested)
- acrolink signal cables digital, XLR interconnects; acrolink power cables; Oyaide power connectors
- Plixir BAC distributor & conditioner (highly recommended! http://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power)
- Foobar playing music via Synology NAS; mainly flac files 

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #24 of 118
My iPurifier arrived yesterday. Worked for about 3 minutes and then stopped. When I tried to reset by plugging off and on the power the female USB port just gave in. Seems like the PCB inside got misplaced. Bad luck with my unit I guess. It's a shame because I liked what I heard in the short time I had with it. Now I am waiting for instructions from Artsexcellence how to handle the defect.
Anybody else having problem with bad connection on the USB power port?

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #25 of 118

That's no fun.  I just checked mine.  No sign of the same problem.  The USB power plugs in firmly and feels tight when connected.  Hope that Artsexcellence can get your issues resolved quickly.

Oct 7, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #26 of 118
Opened a support ticket with iFi Audio as intructed by Artsexcellence.

It makes sense that the manufacturer should handle warranty issues directly and not the distrubutor avoiding double shipping charges, etc.

I have confidence that the issue will be resolved. As customer for nano iUSB and nano iDSD I have never had any issues and both units are very solidly built. 

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 118
After 9 days the ifi SPDIF iPurifier has been playing music most of each day, but powered constantly. Maybe 8 of the 9 days total playing time. After the third day the changes occurred more slowly, but have continued.

Bass is stronger still, and the bass slam is more than I ever had before. It sounds a little heavy, maybe too much low end now? I had used about 1dB extra bass using the Audirvana Plus audio units parametric EQ before the ifi. AudioUnits has to be off now. I may have to drop the bass to -1 dB next.

The sound of cymbals, drums, vocals, piano all sound great. The sound is clean, precise, vocals are articulate, and the sense of acoustic spacial location is very clear. I think the sense of being ‘musical’ has not been lost, maybe improved a bit further.

The clarity makes sounds that have always been in the lossless CD rips that I listen to most sound so clear that I am in awe. It takes extra effort to put the head phones down and get some sleep.  

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #28 of 118
Got mine today - feeding my heavily modded DAC60 from a Singxer F-1 - well out of the box how is the sq?

Not much of a change - just a tad bit smoother - maybe just a bit more bass.

I notice the male output end jack does not fit nearly as snuggely as my SR Element digital cable (which has excellent slide locking RCA plugs).

So she is set to run for a few days to re-evaluate.  I hope I hear it improve like others.

Cheers

Oct 8, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #29 of 118
Received my SPDIF iPurifier two days ago. Have been burning it in with my Modi Multibit DAC non-stop sense they were unboxed. Didn't bother to listen to them without burn in.

Listened today and I noticed a noticeable noise coming from my headphones when no music was playing. My audio chain is as follows.

(PC w/ Asus Xonar STX -> Blue Jeans Cable Belden 1659A Coax (True 75Ohm, FEP/Teflon Insulation, solid coppor conductor, Canare RCA plugs) -> IFI SPDIF iPurifier direct into -> Schiit Audio Modi Multibit DAC -> Audioquest Evergreen RCA to 3.5mm Male -> JDS Labs CMOY -> Meze Audio 99 Classic Headphones.

I randomly noticed that when I Touched (grounded) my CMOY, that the noise stopped. Oddily enough, even when the CMOY was OFF, the noise was still there. I knew I had to isolate the problem in the audio chain.

I have a RCA to 3.5mm female adapter cable, I plugged that into my Modi MB, and headphones directly into the Modi MB. Interestingly enough the Modi MB drives my headphones without an amplifier. Anyway, the noise was still there.

I immediately went to investigate the iFi SPDIF iPurifier. I touched it and guess what, the noise was attenuated. Oddily enough the noise stopped when I touched it right on the logo. I unplugged the power from the iPurifier and the noise went away. I investigated further; plugging the power back into the iPurifier, the noise came back. Using the input selection switch to toggle to optical input on the Modi MB did nothing; the noise was still there and would go away with touching the iPurifier.

I took the iPurifier out of the audio chain and connected my Blue Jeans Coax directly into my Modi MB DAC, no noise

EDIT: After some through experimenting, i found that the culprit is an odd combination of the Ifi power supply and the SPDIF iPurifier. Long story short, the Ifi power supply is injecting noise on the power line.
I found this out by unplugging my headphones and started touching the 3.5mm headphone plug against various metal things. I touched it to my BJC Coax output and noticed there was noise- WTH? I plugged it into my Schiit Modi MB DAC with NO inputs- just power, and the noise was there. I was really confused at this point. I unplugged the ifi power supply and the noise vanished. 

Plugging the ifi power supply back in, i unplugged the SPDIF iPurifier from the power supply, and the noise was noticeably decreased. Extremely odd. Even weirder is plugging the power supply in (without iPurifier), the noise increases dramatically by coiling the cable up...WTH. 

Anyway, i found a way to produce noise in a reproducible way that proves it's injecting noise into the power lines; it is possible to see if your product is doing it.

*Plug in your DAC with no inputs- just power, and turn it on. In my case I'm my Schiit Modi MB.
*Connect Headphones into DAC- directly or through your headphone amp, whichever.
*Connect Ifi power supply and ifi SPDIF iPurifier, do not connect into DAC.
*Touch your iPurifier, notice that noise does not exist when not touched.
*Realize that your DAC has no inputs, and your hearing noise through your DAC only when you touch the SPDIF iPurifier.
*Unplug Ifi power supply & iPurifier combo, notice that the noise completely goes away.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #30 of 118

EDIT: After some through experimenting, i found that the culprit is an odd combination of the Ifi power supply and the SPDIF iPurifier. Long story short, the Ifi power supply is injecting noise on the power line.
I found this out by unplugging my headphones and started touching the 3.5mm headphone plug against various metal things. I touched it to my BJC Coax output and noticed there was noise- WTH? I plugged it into my Schiit Modi MB DAC with NO inputs- just power, and the noise was there. I was really confused at this point. I unplugged the ifi power supply and the noise vanished. 

Plugging the ifi power supply back in, i unplugged the SPDIF iPurifier from the power supply, and the noise was noticeably decreased. Extremely odd. Even weirder is plugging the power supply in (without iPurifier), the noise increases dramatically by coiling the cable up...WTH. 

try the IFI using another power outlet. currently am using IFI along my computer power supply. audio equipment is plug into a power conditioner. am using PC & STX combo too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back