I don't want to go deaf with my amp.
Apr 17, 2008 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

filipelli

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

I have a Xin Supermini IV paired with my iPod Nano, and while I love the amp (man so good), I am deathly afraid that I might nudge the volume control accidentally, and possibly damage my hearing. I am using UE5cs at really low volume with this set up and was wondering if there is something I can do to limit the volume besides alter the impedance jumper inside the amp. At this point, I will take any advice, mechanical or electrical.

Is there perhaps an opamp I can use? Adjust the ipod in someway?

Edit: Yes, I am using an LOD. Sorry I forgot mention that.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 11
Hmmm, interesting one.

Im assuming you are using a LOD so limiting the iPod volume very low isnt going to help....

You might be able to make some kind of 3.5mm jack with permanent attenuation for use somewhere in the chain. But then im thinking that will just mean you have to turn the amp up more, so *if* it ever did get knocked, the shock just wouldnt be as much.

Sorry, i dont think im being much use!

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 11
I agree the volume thing was kind of annoying when I had my SuperMini. The best solution is to be very carful, but other than that, you could try to make a velcro system over the volume wheel that would hide the wheel when you're not using it...

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 11
I dont think you will damage your hearing when its just a flash of abnormal loud volume. You would reach very, very fast for the volume on the amp if its in reach or pop out your earbuds. Is the volumeknob that loose?

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Actually the inline volume attenuator is a good idea. I do that when i use my Koss Pro-1/Pro-35 Radioshack version headphones, because it has a built-in volume control.

Start with the inline control on minimum, then set the amp all the way up, then raise the inline control to the max youd ever want to use it......then lower the amp volume to a comfortable level.

It may even act as a 75 ohm resister mod. Alot of people do that mod with sensitive iems to get rid of hiss, add more play to a volume control, and make their iems sound better also.

Radioshack sells an inline volume control.

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 11
You could just give your amp to me. Then you will be safe from going deaf. :p

Apr 17, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 11
I recall reading a couple of threads on these boards discussing whether the fidelity of the ipod's line out is actually any better than the sq through the headphone jack - the argument to the contrary being that the line out is simply louder and that people are mistaking high volume for hifi.

If I were in your position, I might try out your setup without the LOD, limiting the volume (to a certain extent at least, within the ipod). See if it actually sounds better or worse than through the LOD. If you can't tell the difference, as many here appear to report, I think you've found an easy fix?

Apr 17, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recall reading a couple of threads on these boards discussing whether the fidelity of the ipod's line out is actually any better than the sq through the headphone jack - the argument to the contrary being that the line out is simply louder and that people are mistaking high volume for hifi.

Have you ever listened to an iPod via the headphone jack and/or via the line out connected to an amp?

Apr 18, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 11
Yes, but my ipod is old (3g) and is full of lowfi music. I also don't have a hq lod, so I'm really in no place to contribute a personal opinion on the topic. My ipod sounds similarly lousy when amped.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts though...(although I presume that as an ALO cryo owner you have a vested interest in your gear and are going to refute the comments offered in the thread?)

I have no motives here, I was simply raising it as an option based on comments I have read on these boards.

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but my ipod is old (3g) and is full of lowfi music. I also don't have a hq lod, so I'm really in no place to contribute a personal opinion on the topic. My ipod sounds similarly lousy when amped.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts though...(although I presume that as an ALO cryo owner you have a vested interest in your gear and are going to refute the comments offered in the thread?)

I have no motives here, I was simply raising it as an option based on comments I have read on these boards.

Actually to be honest, the supermini increases the clarity of the output. I just did some A/bing and the headphone out of the ipod is somewhat congested and muddy. When using my supermini, there is an increase in clarity and crispness which I really like when I pair the set up with my Ue5cs. It is certainly an option to go sans the amp...but not as enjoyable. This is using 320kbps Mp3 files.

Perhaps you get the same "lousy" sound because of your files. Crap in crap out they say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back