I Don't Understand You Subjective Guys
Aug 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #481 of 861
Quote:

Your view is too myopic. You would be surprised how much the individual parts for say even a simple design such as the Pimeta would cost. Find a bill of materials, don't forget a custom metal chassis and the "little" stuff such as fuses, jacks, wire, switches, heatsinks, etc. (some customers like this stuff) and then come back. Heck some quality jacks or big caps cost more than DAC chips.

You are correct that it's not competitive, but no one is forcing you to buy any of these things. Personally, I would never want to be in the chip business.

It is quite true. Capacitors, jacks and such can be expensive. When I first saw the BOM price on Pimeta, I practically fell on the floor. However, OEM prices are significantly lower than Digikey price. But however you add it up, a $1,000 DAC/amp is hard to justify. I just think they're overpriced. You can get a pretty good amp for $1K from Adcom, Harmon. I guess I'm just a cheapskate with limited resource.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #482 of 861

So you're saying a DAC should be cheaper than a router, aren't internal sound-cards actually very cheap?  It's the high-end development cost like all the employees at Texas Instruments or whereever which raises the cost for the higher-end units, the same applies to capacitors etc., you don't have that sector in routers, hence there is no elevated cost.

Yes, that's my point. Most of the R&D cost are beared by TI, Yamaha, the silicon vendor. The R&D cost for a router chip is approximately $10M and a DAC is less than $1M. A single wafer will yield more than 20K DAC and a lot is 24 wafers. So you can expect a single run can be about 400K DAC produced. The silicon guys can not go for low volume business or they'll be out of business. I should know this since I am a product line manager. So to me the most expensive part of the system is the power supply, large capacitors and knobs. But since we are talking about a headphone amp, these things should not be super expensive. In my opinion, the price should be between a decent sound card and a reasonable preamp. The silicon cost is minimal. The real cost is in the power supply and casing and a very good 50W power supply is less than $10. 

If we only compare the silicon cost, router is about $10.00 and DAC/amp is $1.00.

Someone talked about the economic of scale. This is quite true. The manufacturing cost for 10 vs 10K can be as high as 10X. But from a consumer point of view, this is not competitive. Since I sell the chips, I think it is a total rip off, since I am making significantly less money than the guys making the boxes.

I imagine if someone like RealTek gets a deal with Sony, suddenly Sony needs 20,000 sound-cards for their laptops, this doesn't happen with external amplifiers or DAC's.

Let's take solar panels as an example, if the sales are limited / exclusive, the cost is high.  If a certain company wanted 10,000 of them, the cost is lower, so I imagine it's the exclusivity of the audio niche which raises the price quite a lot higher than the actual cost of the materials involved.

Another example is custom IEM's, I know approximately what they cost to make, but they're very exclusive and the process to make them is (ideally) rather time-consuming to make sure every pair is uniform in FR to the next, and the craftsmanship of the acrylic I imagine is a bit of an art too.

Concerning IC's in amplifiers, have a look at the OPA627 and MUSES01, they're around $50 for a single IC, interesting right?

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #486 of 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

I am not asking to be snarky or rude or mean... I honestly hope someone has a direction they'd like to see things go... I agree with both sides and a disagree with both sides.... and though I affirm the principles behind the objective camp I want to know what the point is..... I get the idea, I agree.... Now what?

Interesting thoughts. Here's my take:

Some time ago I found a post buried in a thread about why headphones will never be speakers and started a thread on it. The topic is certainly interesting from a number of view points, but what really hit home for me was a followup from the guy who wrote the post himself about how people attempt, basically, to reproduce the effect of going to a concert hall in their homes. As I'd never wanted to attempt that myself, since I listen at quiet to moderate levels, it suddenly struck me why high-end audio can be a big deal to people. Let me explain.

Another member made an interesting comment that he chose equipment to audition or buy by reading the comments about it from people who listened to the same types of music as he did. At the very least, we know with headphones that the frequency response and its relationship to the frequencies that are prominent or not in the music is important. People who listen to classical will find issue with the response at 2-4 kHz as that is where quite a few classical instruments have prominence. Bass response is important with a number of modern genres and so on.

However, what is also important is how loud people listen. While I listen at moderate levels that may not find issue with many pairs of headphones, someone who listens significantly louder than I do may with harshness in the treble or boomy bass as a result of reflections in the design, to give a couple of common examples. Likewise, this is why room treatments are such a big deal in high-end audio, as similar issues exist with those people trying to immerse themselves in a large orchestral performance.

For the electronics, the issues when trying to reproduce complex works with a high dynamic range is that the electronics have to perform in a linear way regardless of the frequency, volume or load they are connected to, so that the people who want to pick out the exact number of a particular instrument playing can do so, even when the music gets highly complex.  I wish I could find it, but in one of the LCD-2 threads a member compared the experience listening with HD-800s to the LCD-2s on his system, and stated that with the former he could hear 5 of a particular instrument, matching the information about the performance, but only 4 with the LCD-2s.

What we observed, after months of listening, was that, while they do have excellent measurements, the LCD-2s can, with complex music (and possibly depending on the amp used) be very slightly blurry when the music becomes complex (relative to other high-end headphones, note!), despite their very fast attack, which gives an impression of great speed.

Similarly, I have a range of electronics here from a variety of manufacturers, including the cheapest and most expensive products from one. I observed that the cheapest component, while it sounds great to the point that, listening to the well-recorded but relatively simple jazz as I often do, I could almost fool myself into thinking I was listening to a component that costs considerably more. However, if I break out something considerably more complex, such as a big, dramatic orchestral work or fast club music, the differences between the two components become apparent, as the low-end one starts to blur in complex passages and the high-end gear doesn't. Hence the comment: 

What is the difference between "high end" DAC and "low end" DAC now?

Everything that's not the DAC chip.

Similarly, much of the music I own and have liked for many years, such as Van Halen, isn't recorded very well. That stuff I find pointless to switch on my power-sucking main rig just to listen to and have relegated it to being listened to while I'm driving. Similarly, I recall a comment from a member attending a meet who listened to someone's high-end rig and was disappointed that the music the owner was listening to was lousy -- much like that previous comment about the guy who spent big dollars on an audio rig and bought awful Christmas music, not realising that enjoyment comes from listening to music you like, something which is obvious to all of us, I'd think.

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's my point. Most of the R&D cost are beared by TI, Yamaha, the silicon vendor. The R&D cost for a router chip is approximately $10M and a DAC is less than $1M. A single wafer will yield more than 20K DAC and a lot is 24 wafers. So you can expect a single run can be about 400K DAC produced. The silicon guys can not go for low volume business or they'll be out of business. I should know this since I am a product line manager. So to me the most expensive part of the system is the power supply, large capacitors and knobs. But since we are talking about a headphone amp, these things should not be super expensive. In my opinion, the price should be between a decent sound card and a reasonable preamp. The silicon cost is minimal. The real cost is in the power supply and casing and a very good 50W power supply is less than $10. 

If we only compare the silicon cost, router is about $10.00 and DAC/amp is $1.00.

Someone talked about the economic of scale. This is quite true. The manufacturing cost for 10 vs 10K can be as high as 10X. But from a consumer point of view, this is not competitive. Since I sell the chips, I think it is a total rip off, since I am making significantly less money than the guys making the boxes.

Your view is too myopic. You would be surprised how much the individual parts for say even a simple design such as the Pimeta would cost. Find a bill of materials, don't forget a custom metal chassis, front plate, back plate, and the "little" stuff such as fuses, jacks, wire, washers, screws, switches, lights, heatsinks, etc. (some customers like this stuff) and then come back. Heck some quality jacks or big caps cost more than DAC chips.

You are correct that it's not competitive, but no one is forcing you to buy any of these things. Heck, my wife's hair dryer is less competitive than a WiFi chip. Personally, I would never want to be in the chip or high-tech manufacturing business, it's a little bit too competitive - the word cutthroat comes to mind. (My dad, now retired, was in the electronics manufacturing business in the Bay Area.)

It's not just the parts, but the investment required to create a product. Saying "they only cost a few cents or dollars each" doesn't include that they have to buy up thousands of each of those parts, especially the transistors, as they go out of stock or are discontinued regularly. If you're a small, boutique manufacturer, you have to spend a huge number of hours building, testing, re-designing, building and testing a product, then spend a huge number of hours building each one by hand (or paying someone competent to do so for you). Then you have to spend hours dealing with customers and wearing the costs if any you made are faulty. If you become popular, you have to consider having your products built by a company. You risk your IP being ripped off, the company being dodgy and making low-quality products and a host of other major issues.  Often the parts have to come from multiple sources, so if one of your sources has production problems, your entire production grinds to a hault. One well-known company here has 5 suppliers that makes the parts for a single amp. Because the case supplier wasn't making cases to the quality he required, he had to go out and find an entirely new one, from scratch, to make the case. The amp was delayed 6-12 months (I forgot exactly how long) because of this. During this time, he makes NOTHING -- in fact losing a lot of money while he waits for a single company to get its act together. It was only because he had other successful products without supply issues that he could do this.

Another well-known designer spent $100,000 of his own money to design a unique product because he wasn't happy with the designs being built for it by other people. That is $100,000 that he may not get back, or not get back on the product for months or years or never if it is not successful.

This is the very reason Apple bought an entire aluminium mine in Australia. They wanted to be absolutely sure they'd never run out of aluminium for their products.

So the idea that audio electronics consists of cheap parts just thrown in a box is very considerably far from the truth.

Quote:

One of my points is that the idea of "better" seems to have been lost or at least blurred.  At one point, hi-fi meant high fidelity, right?  But that's a very old debate too.  Of course, I'll grant that different people have different preferences, and what really counts is for people to have what sounds better to them.  But there's a strong resistance to evaluating "better" in ways like audio measurements and controlled listening tests, which of course benefits the audio industry [edit: and reviewers, and sites like this one], enabling the current market.

By "exotic toplogies", I mean things like Audio-gd's ACSS, though I admit that I have no idea what is involved with that.  Is it something very common masquerading as some unique marketing bullet point?  Maybe I'm overstepping myself here.  I would consider most topologies developed for valve amps, like circlotrons, exotic and antiquated these days.  Antiquated and exotic are not necessarily bad, by any stretch of the imagination.  You're definitely right that most amp topologies are quite old, with Class D variants and the like as exceptions.  Most of the research in amplifiers (audio or not...mostly I mean not audio) these days is for low-power applications, as far as I can tell.

I think that the fact that there's a debate about feedback in audio, makes many turn their noses at the entire field.  That's not to say that every design need necessarily use feedback somewhere, but to market not having any feedback as an advantage would strike many as odd.

FYI, ACSS is a current gain stage, rather than a voltage gain stage, which is most common. It is supposed to reduce distortion.

I'd say now that "high fidelity" equates to "high linearity" in performance. However, going back to my comment on music above, whether or not high-end, highly linear designs are worth investing in I'd say is very much connected with the goals of the listener. If someone wants to attempt to duplicate the effect of going to a concert in their livingroom, that is far different to someone who wants to casually listen to modern, compressed pop music. Then there are layers in between.

So, I think, ultimately, the disconnect has been where people have not considered someone's individual goals, starting with what music they listen to and how loud. I know in my case that higher fidelity equipment has resulted in a change in the types of music I like. When I started, I didn't listen to jazz at all, for example, but a lot of pop and rock. Like I said above, I feel that what I own now would be wasted on that music. On the other hand, the increase of high quality recordings in a variety of genres available has made listening with my (I don't want to think how) expensive rig extremely enjoyable, and I have some technical understanding of why that is so, to go along with it.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #487 of 861
Quote:
You talking about hiss?

I'm talking about various type of noise - hiss, hum, wow, flutter, distortion, drift, etc, etc.  There were no sources without some sort of noise, and the amp would add it's own contribution AND also amplified both the input signal and the noise. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #488 of 861
Quote:
Then you are leaving money on the table!  Trust me, it works...

That's pretty weak.  At one (IEEE) conference exhibit hall, I saw everything from a talking robot to an iPad drawing to booth babes to attract attention.  They were displaying some nice racks—err, equipment racks.  It's not like most people there were interested in the products at that kind of event, much less sales transactions going on, though there was some of that presumably in the enclosed rooms.  If you can't pull out the stops for sales, I don't know what's up with that.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #489 of 861
Quote:
Regarding the Carver Challenge comparo with the O2/ ... FWIW, speakers have to deal with many more hurdles than headphones in terms of room interactions. Furthermore, it is possible to test a single driver full range low distortion electrostatic or orthodynamic rig in the headphone world. This is harder in the speaker world. Could be that headphones are more revealing (than speakers) given these (and probably other) considerations... dunno.

Quite the opposite. Speakers - especially electrostats - have widely varying impedance and can offer an inductive or capacitative load (or sometimes both at once!) A poorly-designed amplifier will choke on that sort of load.

Strictly speaking, I suspect that Carver used this to his advantage. All three amps being equal, his were specifically designed to deal with very low impedance (the Carver Amazing Ribbons dropped to a fairly stupid 2 ohms at some point, IIRC.) Tube amps, in particular, do not deal so well with these. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #490 of 861
Quote:
It is quite true. Capacitors, jacks and such can be expensive. When I first saw the BOM price on Pimeta, I practically fell on the floor. However, OEM prices are significantly lower than Digikey price. But however you add it up, a $1,000 DAC/amp is hard to justify. I just think they're overpriced. You can get a pretty good amp for $1K from Adcom, Harmon. I guess I'm just a cheapskate with limited resource.

I've had adcom amps before I don't think they were all that great sounding.

My GFA 545 original series amp was grainy sounding as hell. The largest cause of the grainy sound turned out to be the 22pf monolitic ceramic cap which I repaced with a silver mica unit of the same value after trying other types that had thier own issues & benefits but did not get rid of the grainy sound. The silver mica cap got rid of the lions share of the grainy sound.

Other tweaks got rid of the rest such as reconfiguring the amp in a way that would make it run in a nonswitching class AB mode. Battery power supply consisting of 16 12 volt 14 amp/hour batteries & a protection scheme that made the amp impervious to short circuits that also allowed me to run in a nonswitching class AB mode confirmed by measuring across the emitter resistors as well as at the driver transistor

.The feedback bleed capacitor was changed from a electrolytic bypassed by a small metalized fim to a large value metalized film (100uf). This opened up the sound of the amp incredably well. By the way the GFA555 used the silver mica cap where i did stock & was much better sounding stock than the GFA545 did stock. The experiments with this feedback bleed cap taught me just how lossy the electrolytic caps were as the high gain of the amp ampified the effects of this loss. You can somewhat get away with this loss in a low gain situation but not here in a high gain situation. This is why most my experiments with metalized films have been so successfull in getting the sound I want as they seem to be the perfect cap almost anywhere in the signal path which includes the power supply whhich is also directly in the signal path of most amps.

Knowing what to listen for is key when modding amps as I have went down some blind alleys so to speak but fortunately seen the errors of those tweaks & discarded them & stuck with what I found worked I do also measure wherever possible to determin if I'm doing somthing wrong & fortunately none of my mods showed anything that needed to be worried about as they measured very close to the original. Close enough that the changes were small enough that they themselve should not be audible.

I also got rid of hum on that amp by redoing the ground scheme on that amp. The stock amp was not grounded at the electical center of the power supply & even though there was heavy busbar used in the stock amp there was still enough potential difference to cause hum noise. I reconfigured the ground so it was at the electrical center of the powersupply & this cut 80-90% of the hum. The batteries helped with the rest.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #491 of 861
The PC analogy is spurious at best - boutique audio simply doesn't have the economies of scale. Ring Cirrus, tell them you are from Acer and you need a quote on 500,000 chips. Hang up, then have a friend ring and ask them for a quote on 500 - get back to me with the price difference. Now ring your brick-and-mortar distributors and tell them that they are going to have to halve their current markups because the competition is so intense in your market that you cant see your gear moving off the shelf if it's a hundred dollars more expensive than the gear next to it, You can cut costs at your end, because you are shipping 500,000 units, right ? Right ,.....

The smartest thing Steve Jobs ever did was move Macs to the Intel chipsets - Apple no longer had to fund R&D on the PowerPC architecture and they could hook into the same speed and capacity improvements as the Wintel clone makers. Sure, I guess McIntosh or Cary or Atma-sphere could abandon their current range in favor of rebranded T-amps, but it doesnt work that way in audio, does it ? You could combine the buying power of everyone in boutique audio (OK, excluding parents like Harman - just the companies themselves) and it wouldnt be anywhere near the pull that the large PC and laptop makers have with chip makers. Group buy, anyone ? 

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #492 of 861
Quote:
The PC analogy is spurious at best - boutique audio simply doesn't have the economies of scale. Ring Cirrus, tell them you are from Acer and you need a quote on 500,000 chips. Hang up, then have a friend ring and ask them for a quote on 500 - get back to me with the price difference. Now ring your brick-and-mortar distributors and tell them that they are going to have to halve their current markups because the competition is so intense in your market that you cant see your gear moving off the shelf if it's a hundred dollars more expensive than the gear next to it, You can cut costs at your end, because you are shipping 500,000 units, right ? Right ,.....

The smartest thing Steve Jobs ever did was move Macs to the Intel chipsets - Apple no longer had to fund R&D on the PowerPC architecture and they could hook into the same speed and capacity improvements as the Wintel clone makers. Sure, I guess McIntosh or Cary or Atma-sphere could abandon their current range in favor of rebranded T-amps, but it doesnt work that way in audio, does it ? You could combine the buying power of everyone in boutique audio (OK, excluding parents like Harman - just the companies themselves) and it wouldnt be anywhere near the pull that the large PC and laptop makers have with chip makers. Group buy, anyone ? 

True. Unless audiophilia was to become a part of "our culture", I highly doubt it will ever catch on to such levels. If it's not "in" it won't sell.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #493 of 861
Quote:
4 Times it's power rating which means also double the voltage & current. Most amps can not produce even twice the power so they just clip the wave form  but with the stasis amp it didn't just clip, it blew the voltage amp which was directly connected to the load as when the amp overloaded it came out of stasis exposing the true nature of the load to the voltage amp when the current mirror couldn't keep up with the load. I suspected this possability as soon as I seen the write up from threshold.

I figured it was pretty clear when I said 4X it's rating meaning 4X times it's rated power so if it's rated for 100 watts you ask it to produce 400 & since most amps can't they clip.

The reason for this test was McIntosh was showing off thier anticlipping feature that if you did the same to thiers the amp would automatically limit itself by reducing gain to avoid clipping. gain would return as soon as the overload disappeared 

I'll let most of this go as the poor logic is obvious.................."most amps can not produce even twice the rated power"??? 

Anyway, in spite of all this marketing one upmanship, I don't recall the Stasis series as having field reliability problems.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #494 of 861

[...]

I am not asking to be snarky or rude or mean... I honestly hope someone has a direction they'd like to see things go... I agree with both sides and a disagree with both sides.... and though I affirm the principles behind the objective camp I want to know what the point is..... I get the idea, I agree.... Now what?

Interesting thoughts. Here's my take:

Some time ago I found a post buried in a thread about why headphones will never be speakers and started a thread on it. The topic is certainly interesting from a number of view points, but what really hit home for me was a followup from the guy who wrote the post himself about how people attempt, basically, to reproduce the effect of going to a concert hall in their homes. As I'd never wanted to attempt that myself, since I listen at quiet to moderate levels, it suddenly struck me why high-end audio can be a big deal to people. Let me explain.

Another member made an interesting comment that he chose equipment to audition or buy by reading the comments about it from people who listened to the same types of music as he did. At the very least, we know with headphones that the frequency response and its relationship to the frequencies that are prominent or not in the music is important. People who listen to classical will find issue with the response at 2-4 kHz as that is where quite a few classical instruments have prominence. Bass response is important with a number of modern genres and so on.

However, what is also important is how loud people listen. While I listen at moderate levels that may not find issue with many pairs of headphones, someone who listens significantly louder than I do may with harshness in the treble or boomy bass as a result of reflections in the design, to give a couple of common examples. Likewise, this is why room treatments are such a big deal in high-end audio, as similar issues exist with those people trying to immerse themselves in a large orchestral performance.

For the electronics, the issues when trying to reproduce complex works with a high dynamic range is that the electronics have to perform in a linear way regardless of the frequency, volume or load they are connected to, so that the people who want to pick out the exact number of a particular instrument playing can do so, even when the music gets highly complex.  I wish I could find it, but in one of the LCD-2 threads a member compared the experience listening with HD-800s to the LCD-2s on his system, and stated that with the former he could hear 5 of a particular instrument, matching the information about the performance, but only 4 with the LCD-2s.

What we observed, after months of listening, was that, while they do have excellent measurements, the LCD-2s can, with complex music (and possibly depending on the amp used) be very slightly blurry when the music becomes complex (relative to other high-end headphones, note!), despite their very fast attack, which gives an impression of great speed.

Similarly, I have a range of electronics here from a variety of manufacturers, including the cheapest and most expensive products from one. I observed that the cheapest component, while it sounds great to the point that, listening to the well-recorded but relatively simple jazz as I often do, I could almost fool myself into thinking I was listening to a component that costs considerably more. However, if I break out something considerably more complex, such as a big, dramatic orchestral work or fast club music, the differences between the two components become apparent, as the low-end one starts to blur in complex passages and the high-end gear doesn't. Hence the comment: 

What is the difference between "high end" DAC and "low end" DAC now?

Everything that's not the DAC chip.

Similarly, much of the music I own and have liked for many years, such as Van Halen, isn't recorded very well. That stuff I find pointless to switch on my power-sucking main rig just to listen to and have relegated it to being listened to while I'm driving. Similarly, I recall a comment from a member attending a meet who listened to someone's high-end rig and was disappointed that the music the owner was listening to was lousy -- much like that previous comment about the guy who spent big dollars on an audio rig and bought awful Christmas music, not realising that enjoyment comes from listening to music you like, something which is obvious to all of us, I'd think.

Yes, that's my point. Most of the R

Your view is too myopic. You would be surprised how much the individual parts for say even a simple design such as the Pimeta would cost. Find a bill of materials, don't forget a custom metal chassis, front plate, back plate, and the "little" stuff such as fuses, jacks, wire, washers, screws, switches, lights, heatsinks, etc. (some customers like this stuff) and then come back. Heck some quality jacks or big caps cost more than DAC chips.

You are correct that it's not competitive, but no one is forcing you to buy any of these things. Heck, my wife's hair dryer is less competitive than a WiFi chip. Personally, I would never want to be in the chip or high-tech manufacturing business, it's a little bit too competitive - the word cutthroat comes to mind. (My dad, now retired, was in the electronics manufacturing business in the Bay Area.)

It's not just the parts, but the investment required to create a product. Saying "they only cost a few cents or dollars each" doesn't include that they have to buy up thousands of each of those parts, especially the transistors, as they go out of stock or are discontinued regularly. If you're a small, boutique manufacturer, you have to spend a huge number of hours building, testing, re-designing, building and testing a product, then spend a huge number of hours building each one by hand (or paying someone competent to do so for you). Then you have to spend hours dealing with customers and wearing the costs if any you made are faulty. If you become popular, you have to consider having your products built by a company. You risk your IP being ripped off, the company being dodgy and making low-quality products and a host of other major issues.  Often the parts have to come from multiple sources, so if one of your sources has production problems, your entire production grinds to a hault. One well-known company here has 5 suppliers that makes the parts for a single amp. Because the case supplier wasn't making cases to the quality he required, he had to go out and find an entirely new one, from scratch, to make the case. The amp was delayed 6-12 months (I forgot exactly how long) because of this. During this time, he makes NOTHING -- in fact losing a lot of money while he waits for a single company to get its act together. It was only because he had other successful products without supply issues that he could do this.

Another well-known designer spent $100,000 of his own money to design a unique product because he wasn't happy with the designs being built for it by other people. That is $100,000 that he may not get back, or not get back on the product for months or years or never if it is not successful.

This is the very reason Apple bought an entire aluminium mine in Australia. They wanted to be absolutely sure they'd never run out of aluminium for their products.

So the idea that audio electronics consists of cheap parts just thrown in a box is very considerably far from the truth.

One of my points is that the idea of "better" seems to have been lost or at least blurred.  At one point, hi-fi meant high fidelity, right?  But that's a very old debate too.  Of course, I'll grant that different people have different preferences, and what really counts is for people to have what sounds better to them.  But there's a strong resistance to evaluating "better" in ways like audio measurements and controlled listening tests, which of course benefits the audio industry [edit: and reviewers, and sites like this one], enabling the current market.

By "exotic toplogies", I mean things like Audio-gd's ACSS, though I admit that I have no idea what is involved with that.  Is it something very common masquerading as some unique marketing bullet point?  Maybe I'm overstepping myself here.  I would consider most topologies developed for valve amps, like circlotrons, exotic and antiquated these days.  Antiquated and exotic are not necessarily bad, by any stretch of the imagination.  You're definitely right that most amp topologies are quite old, with Class D variants and the like as exceptions.  Most of the research in amplifiers (audio or not...mostly I mean not audio) these days is for low-power applications, as far as I can tell.

I think that the fact that there's a debate about feedback in audio, makes many turn their noses at the entire field.  That's not to say that every design need necessarily use feedback somewhere, but to market not having any feedback as an advantage would strike many as odd.

FYI, ACSS is a current gain stage, rather than a voltage gain stage, which is most common. It is supposed to reduce distortion.

I'd say now that "high fidelity" equates to "high linearity" in performance. However, going back to my comment on music above, whether or not high-end, highly linear designs are worth investing in I'd say is very much connected with the goals of the listener. If someone wants to attempt to duplicate the effect of going to a concert in their livingroom, that is far different to someone who wants to casually listen to modern, compressed pop music. Then there are layers in between.

So, I think, ultimately, the disconnect has been where people have not considered someone's individual goals, starting with what music they listen to and how loud. I know in my case that higher fidelity equipment has resulted in a change in the types of music I like. When I started, I didn't listen to jazz at all, for example, but a lot of pop and rock. Like I said above, I feel that what I own now would be wasted on that music. On the other hand, the increase of high quality recordings in a variety of genres available has made listening with my (I don't want to think how) expensive rig extremely enjoyable, and I have some technical understanding of why that is so, to go along with it.

Just wanted to mention quickly that the "blurring" phenomena you referred to, re the HD-800 vs the LCD-2 with complex music is ENTIRELY an amplifier issue, not the headphones. A more powerful amp would have revealed that if anything, the LCD-2 was faster and clearer than the HD-800. please don't take this wrong, but this sort of misinformation really bugs me sometimes. The headphone gets a bad rap when it was the amp that was at fault in the first place. I'm not discussing which headphone is a better headphone...That's not what's important here, and not my point. What is important is properly identifying an issue in the first place.

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #495 of 861
Quote:
Just wanted to mention quickly that the "blurring" phenomena you referred to, re the HD-800 vs the LCD-2 with complex music is ENTIRELY an amplifier issue, not the headphones. A more powerful amp would have revealed that if anything, the LCD-2 was faster and clearer than the HD-800. please don't take this wrong, but this sort of misinformation really bugs me sometimes. The headphone gets a bad rap when it was the amp that was at fault in the first place. I'm not discussing which headphone is a better headphone...That's not what's important here, and not my point. What is important is properly identifying an issue in the first place.

I thought the HD800 was harder to drive than an LCD 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back