I Don't Understand You Subjective Guys
Jul 25, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #136 of 861
Jul 25, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #140 of 861
Quote:
Trolls everywhere! D:

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #141 of 861
there may be aspects of hearing we can't measure yet, but we can measure sound. sound is a wave. waves are purely mathematical. unless u think there's a branch of maths that we don't fully understand yet that is required to characterise a wave, u should re-evaluate ur "there may be things we can't measure yet" argument. how do we know if 2 sounds are the same? they have the same waveform! keep in mind our ears are measuring instruments...albeit bad ones

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #142 of 861
Writing proper english is actually much simpler than sound waves, so if you can't grapple with the former, I'm not sure how you can expect to fully understand the latter.  It's not that simple. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #144 of 861
Quote:
there may be aspects of hearing we can't measure yet, but we can measure sound. sound is a wave. waves are purely mathematical. unless u think there's a branch of maths that we don't fully understand yet that is required to characterise a wave, u should re-evaluate ur "there may be things we can't measure yet" argument. how do we know if 2 sounds are the same? they have the same waveform! keep in mind our ears are measuring instruments...albeit bad ones

Actually, our ears are quite splendid instruments.  It's our brain that can cause illusions.  Put yourself into an anechoic chamber.  I think the world's best one is rated at -9dB.  Supposedly from those that have been in there, you can hear your heatbeat, and even the blood coursing through your veins.  You can hear the air molecules vibrating against your eardrum.  Most people go crazy and can't stand to be in one for more than 45 minutes tops.  Our world is full of echo, that when we remove it we can't handle it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #145 of 861
Quote:

Actually, our ears are quite splendid instruments.  It's our brain that can cause illusions.  Put yourself into an anechoic chamber.  I think the world's best one is rated at -9dB.  Supposedly from those that have been in there, you can hear your heatbeat, and even the blood coursing through your veins.  You can hear the air molecules vibrating against your eardrum.  Most people go crazy and can't stand to be in one for more than 45 minutes tops.  Our world is full of echo, that when we remove it we can't handle it.

Not really. Yes, they're quite sensitive, but they throw out a tremendous amount of information (in terms of the neural impulses sent to the brain, it's nothing like the output of a microphone) which means the brain must do a tremendous amount of interpretation/interpolation to try and fill in the missing information.

se

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #146 of 861
Quote:
Not really. Yes, they're quite sensitive, but they throw out a tremendous amount of information (in terms of the neural impulses sent to the brain, it's nothing like the output of a microphone) which means the brain must do a tremendous amount of interpretation/interpolation to try and fill in the missing information.

se

I don't know if that'd necessarily be the case in an anechoic chamber though.  It's hard to conjecture on how the brain responds to sensory deprivation.  The few accounts I've heard of people being in anechoic chambers have resulted in severe disorientation, to the extent of inducing nausea/vomiting.

It'd be an interesting experiment.

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #147 of 861
Quote:

I don't know if that'd necessarily be the case in an anechoic chamber though.  It's hard to conjecture on how the brain responds to sensory deprivation.  The few accounts I've heard of people being in anechoic chambers have resulted in severe disorientation, to the extent of inducing nausea/vomiting.

It'd be an interesting experiment.

Wasn't talking about the brain. Was talking about the ears. Regardless of the brain, the ears send it a lot less information than one would imagine. While the eardrum can be considered analogous to the diaphragm of a microphone, the similarities end there.

se

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #148 of 861
Writing proper english is actually much simpler than sound waves, so if you can't grapple with the former, I'm not sure how you can expect to fully understand the latter.  It's not that simple. 

See that's the problem with well-thought out arguments. They require thought to understand.

It's easier to talk to a wall.

Oh, hi wall. You're looking mighty fine today. So swirly, and I like the subtle breathing, and the way your colors drip...

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #149 of 861
Quote:
It's easier to talk to a wall.
Oh, hi wall. You're looking mighty fine today. So swirly, and I like the subtle breathing, and the way your colors drip...

I never understood the expression "easier to talk to a wall".  In my experience, I've always found it resoundingly easy to talk to a wall.  It never talks back or interrupts or makes rude/tasteless/condescending remarks.  I can't say the same of other humans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back