I dont like my HD650's - Now what?
Jan 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #31 of 44
Many years ago, I started with the Senn 650's and absolutely hated them.  I then tried the Sony MDR-SA5000 and it was all that I was looking for.  Very different than the Senns, in relation to clarity, comfort and speed.  SA5ks can be a bit sonically fatiguing, I don't know why, but I am guessing because they are so fast.  Seems like I am constantly getting accelerated. Don't know how else to put it.

I did try out the Grado SR325 and did not like them.  Gave them a second shot, and tried the GS1000 and did not like them either.  In my opinion, they took all the short comings of the Senns and made them worse.

I know some people will get very offended by this, and that is okay.  If you don't like a headphone, NO amount of amplification will make you LOVE them.  Sure the 650s need good amplification to shine.  But if you don't like the sonic characteristics to begin with, then you are still going to be let down.  Find a pair that you really like, add quality amplification and you'll love them.  Just my way of thinking.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #32 of 44
I have actually had several things on order the past few weeks and all of them came later than the estimated date on tracking. I think the holiday season really puts a cramp in shipping. So perhaps a bit of patience is in order but I would definately start to think about it.

Agreed, Im not yet angry or anything just making an inquiry.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #33 of 44

Quote:
Many years ago, I started with the Senn 650's and absolutely hated them.  I then tried the Sony MDR-SA5000 and it was all that I was looking for.  Very different than the Senns, in relation to clarity, comfort and speed.  SA5ks can be a bit sonically fatiguing, I don't know why, but I am guessing because they are so fast.  Seems like I am constantly getting accelerated. Don't know how else to put it.

I did try out the Grado SR325 and did not like them.  Gave them a second shot, and tried the GS1000 and did not like them either.  In my opinion, they took all the short comings of the Senns and made them worse.

I know some people will get very offended by this, and that is okay.  If you don't like a headphone, NO amount of amplification will make you LOVE them.  Sure the 650s need good amplification to shine.  But if you don't like the sonic characteristics to begin with, then you are still going to be let down.  Find a pair that you really like, add quality amplification and you'll love them.  Just my way of thinking.

Indeed, I agree with you on this one.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #34 of 44
So you are running the Bender 6N1P (as opposed to the MJ amp)?  Did you use negative feedback or there is none?

You might try to build a buffer and route the MJ amp into that.  Personally, I find that the HD650 responds well to large damping factor.  The OTL tube amps have high Zout.  SS tends to have low Zout.  OTL tube amps, IMO, tend to be less linear, in that case a SS buffer presents a high Z and steady load for the output tubes.

The downside is that there are more stages than you would normally have in a hybrid amp, but a Mosfet or BJT buffer (JISBOS or a diamond buffer) is easy to build.

The basic tone of the HD650 will stay.  It is dark and lush, and always will be.  With lower Zout, it won't be as lush but still lush, and will still be dark, IME.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #35 of 44
Well actually it seems to me that it responds quite well to my headphone circuit I have in my semi vintage SS "Marantz PM-75" it becomes less lush and abit quicker - enough to remove the lushness my MJ design gave me.

Any idea what would be the next upgrade to HD650 lover? I mean I have now tried few others but till now havent found anything better. Would like to try Beyer T1's and Auzedes etc...

Jan 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #36 of 44
Sucks about the 990's i was thinking about picking them up myself. Although i thought they sounded lifeless compared to the 650's when i tried them on a crappy rolls amp.
Next step if you like the 650 sound is the HD800 i would believe. FWIR it takes away a lot of the "veil" and lack of mid/high punch.

I too am finding that I want to crank my volume to kinda immerse myself in the music. It's like it's never involving enough.. I have been changing over to Flac recordings and i gotta say some tracks are awesome sound sound worse then when i had them in .MP3 format go figure... Maybe i need to scrap the fun and go bigger ( i can hear my wallet crying already)..

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #37 of 44

Quote:
Sucks about the 990's i was thinking about picking them up myself. Although i thought they sounded lifeless compared to the 650's when i tried them on a crappy rolls amp.
Next step if you like the 650 sound is the HD800 i would believe. FWIR it takes away a lot of the "veil" and lack of mid/high punch.

I too am finding that I want to crank my volume to kinda immerse myself in the music. It's like it's never involving enough.. I have been changing over to Flac recordings and i gotta say some tracks are awesome sound sound worse then when i had them in .MP3 format go figure... Maybe i need to scrap the fun and go bigger ( i can hear my wallet crying already)..

Before you do I suggest you give the Moon opamp a try. I think you'll agree Earth has amazing transparency, resolution and soundstage. However, I too felt that at times engagement in the music was just at arms length despite the transparency and it was perhaps bordering on being too analytical for my taste despite its smoothness.

I hadn't really given Moon a good listen prior, as I thought adding its warmer quality to the HD650 didn't make sense. I've since spent more time with it and have found that warm, musical and more forward sound to be just the answer. There's slightly less resolution but it's simply more enveloping with its textured mids. I initially thought the added energy also came at the expense of bass and soundstage but I don't believe that to be the case anymore. There is perhaps slightly less separation in the instruments but the shift from bordering on analytical to musical is quite stark and could be that little bit extra synergy you're looking for. It took me a while to get used to it but I'm not sure I go back now.

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #38 of 44
Yeah i have been holding back on using the Moon for the exact reasons you mentioned. That said, i am going to now try it for your exact reasoning lol....

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #39 of 44
Good luck! Remember to give it some time for Moon to burn in and for your ears to adjust to the different presentation. I'll be interested to read if you find a reduction in resolution, transparency and soundstage.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #40 of 44
So i am now listening to the moon, gotta say it's a bit different. It's a little edgy and less refined but not without merit.. I like it so far..

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #41 of 44

Quote:

I haven't heard the 800, but from everything I've read it's not the next step up from the 650; the LCD-2 is. Apparently the only thing the 650 and 800 have in common is the word "Sennheiser" (which of course is not a bad thing to have).

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #44 of 44
Notice how i said more mids and highs.. I heard the HD800's granted on an underpowered amp. Still i could hear the difference since the 650 and 800 were on the same type of amp. I have never heard the k701 so no idea there. The LCD2's as nice as they look i would never touch due to the leather earcups. That is me though i wear glasses and am very sensitive to pressure on my head. the next level would be the 800 or Tesla1 for me anyway... I love my 650, but sometimes they sound like they are boring and somewhat asleep... Although the moon hdam is helping that rather nicely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back