I don't know about you, but my new TF10vi's are awesome!
Dec 15, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnybobiche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. When they were $400, you couldn't find a single negative review about them. When they went down to $99, they're suddenly "midrange." Audiophiles have deep psychological flaws that make them a) disparage cheap hardware and b) embrace cheap mods like switching tips or orientations. Rather paradoxical...

What you are saying makes no sense... If I'm not happy with them for $100(soon to be $50), why would I be happy with them for $400? Have you considered that perhaps negative reviews are coming now because many more people are getting them? The "fit" was just fine, and the sound hasn't changed for me with "burn in"...perhaps consider that some people have different tastes...not necessarily more expensive ones

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #17 of 38
I'm just saying that the rhetoric revolving the TF10s was SO overwhelmingly positive, that it's rather remarkable how negative it has become lately. Consider that there's an entire thread dedicated to disappointment by TF10s that is getting rather long! You would have been extremely hard pressed to find even one person who had anything bad to say about the TF10s before the sale.

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gates_2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you are saying makes no sense... If I'm not happy with them for $100(soon to be $50), why would I be happy with them for $400? Have you considered that perhaps negative reviews are coming now because many more people are getting them? The "fit" was just fine, and the sound hasn't changed for me with "burn in"...perhaps consider that some people have different tastes...not necessarily more expensive ones

My attempt at a comparison here...

Not everyone who buys a Porche is going to have a Corvette right beside it (some but for a majority not all). Now imagine that a Corvette goes down to like.. 10 grand, people are gonna go out and nab it at first sight...

In that same bunch you're going to have those people who have no clue what a sports car is like and they're going to base on it on the comfort of their Honda's and are going to be like, What why are the bucket seats so damn uncomfortable.. Why is it so low to the ground?! OMG how come I can't ride a sports clutch like I do a normal stock clutch?! WHYY...

Now apart from that, then you'll have people who will go, this damn Corvette is NOTHING like my Porche.. and What.. its only 10 grand.. not like my Porche which I spent easily 10-12 times as much! There must be SOMETHING wrong with this damn thing...

Not getting the analogy yet? People are going to gripe, bitch, moan or possibly praise anything... at the end of the day, if a person tries it and likes it.. great if not, move on, not everyone is going to appeal to a product. However I can tell you this much... someone who spent 100k on a car he can't just return is going to figure out ways to love the bad things about it and praise the good things about it as well
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not getting the analogy yet? People are going to gripe, bitch, moan or possibly praise anything... at the end of the day, if a person tries it and likes it.. great if not, move on, not everyone is going to appeal to a product. However I can tell you this much... someone who spent 100k on a car he can't just return is going to figure out ways to love the bad things about it and praise the good things about it as well
wink.gif

You, my friend, just summed up this entire hobby. Congratulations!
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, we need more positive compliment. After one day sale, TF10 pro suddenly became some cheap-ass IEM and dethrone from one of greatest IEM.
confused_face_2.gif

They were never great except for marketing IMHO. Comply tips help. Amp helps. But overall nothing to write home about IMHO again. Yes they have extended highs and lots of bass but it seems like they were designed to hit some kind of "hi-fi" checklist. I really never could call them musical.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

10 pro can not beat PFE in terms of prominent vocal ?

I don't know but vocals and mids are not the Triple.Fi's strength. To me they sound like someone put a "smiley face" on the EQ like people tend to do to make the bass and treble sound more prominent with Mid-Fi stuff that had a hard time otherwise with frequency extremes. I don't know but that's my impression from memory. Anyway my point is Mids are not the strong point of these. In fact they are the one reason that try as I might to get adjusted to them I just cannot. The Mids are sucked out IMHO. If they could keep up with the bass and treble they would at least be technically impressive. But the lack of mids makes me want to pull it out of my ears sometimes.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudohippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound high end at least to me.

I think you summed it up perfectly. They sound "high-end" or "hi-fi" and I think they do so by accentuating frequency extremes. They sound don't sound like music very well. The SE530 sounds like music. You may talk about rolled off highs, but the truth is that highs in any room diminish as distance from the speaker/instrument increases. I think they design it to make it sound as the music would naturally in a room. The SE530s are not the end all be all phones, but they never sounded fake to me.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

I'm just saying that the rhetoric revolving the TF10s was SO overwhelmingly positive, that it's rather remarkable how negative it has become lately. Consider that there's an entire thread dedicated to disappointment by TF10s that is getting rather long! You would have been extremely hard pressed to find even one person who had anything bad to say about the TF10s before the sale.

I have to agree with the guy who said it's possible that since more people have access to the product you will get the negative reviews too.

+ When you get an acute surge of attention on a product, people who have issues with it will come out of the woodwork too. The people who liked the TF 10s posted their thoughts on the Amazon thread too.

IMO they could have included better stock cables, granted UE ( now Logitech?) replaces them, but it's still a hassle.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

I did, you can check my history. One thing I will concede to you is that when they are so "universally loved" it is harder to flat out dismiss them. My words were less direct, but they did make the point that I didn't quite enjoy them. It is easier to say now when market forces have confirmed my impression.

At $99 they are at the right price point. I did have a hard time with fit though which the Comply tips fixed, and they also seemed to help the mids out a bit. I have to say even with ER4-P/S around I felt like I had to force myself to use them. On a technical level they are better than the ER4, they go higher and have more punch in the bass. They might be suited to a narrow range of music (maybe electronic) in which they excel. When the SE530 came they were never used again. In fact I need to look for them now to try with my new ALO RX, hopefully the amp can redeem them.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 38
I think another possibility is that at $400, the buyer's were more involved in the purchase, trying them out to make sure that the sound signature was to their liking before buying. At $99, people bought them without trying at all.

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #26 of 38
TF10 sounds pretty good to me so far, but the fit hurts my ears after two hours of use
frown.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My attempt at a comparison here...

Not everyone who buys a Porche is going to have a Corvette right beside it (some but for a majority not all). Now imagine that a Corvette goes down to like.. 10 grand, people are gonna go out and nab it at first sight...

In that same bunch you're going to have those people who have no clue what a sports car is like and they're going to base on it on the comfort of their Honda's and are going to be like, What why are the bucket seats so damn uncomfortable.. Why is it so low to the ground?! OMG how come I can't ride a sports clutch like I do a normal stock clutch?! WHYY...

Now apart from that, then you'll have people who will go, this damn Corvette is NOTHING like my Porche.. and What.. its only 10 grand.. not like my Porche which I spent easily 10-12 times as much! There must be SOMETHING wrong with this damn thing...

wink.gif

Very well said and that's why it is harder to discuss the negatives of the product when it is $350. Also you will step on many toes.

I will say that if the ER4 or SE530 dropped to $99 I would order a backup pair of each with no hesitation.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #28 of 38
I just wanted to chip in that if all phones were restricted to be under $100, this forum would be a *lot* more interesting.

Hail to the communism. Yeah!
wink.gif

@jjmai: Flip-flop mod is the way to go...

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very well said and that's why it is harder to discuss the negatives of the product when it is $350. Also you will step on many toes.

I will say that if the ER4 or SE530 dropped to $99 I would order a backup pair of each with no hesitation.

I guess I have to say that sound signature do matter.

For me, I won't consider to get SE 530 for 99USD, it may be most colored IEM I have even laid my hand on. Extremely emphasize on vocal, and overwarm....really feel like it try to impress me with its artificial vocal which is not supposed to exist in the world, I hate to say it is unnatural to me as if it sugarcoat vocal. It sounds sweet at the first sight, I think I will love it, but not if I have other IEM to compare with.

I just sold it after two weeks and never looked back.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

I guess I have to say that sound signature do matter.

For me, I won't consider to get SE 530 for 99USD, it may be most colored IEM I have even laid my hand on. Extremely emphasize on vocal, and overwarm....really feel like it try to impress me with its artificial vocal which is not supposed to exist in the world, I hate to say it is unnatural to me as if it sugarcoat vocal. It sounds sweet at the first sight, I think I will love it, but not if I have other IEM to compare with.

I just sold it after two weeks and never looked back.

Yes it is warm, and vocals are the emphasis but they are the perfect counterpoint to the ER4. I wouldn't go so far as to call it artificial but it is definitely EQ'd. I think 90% of the music is contained in the mids. So while "fake" mids are not everyone's cup of tea, I'd say recessed mids are a problem. At least IMHO. There have been times when I've even wondered "what's wrong with that vocal?" or "why is that guitar so buried?". There are people asking in this thread if this phone has good mids, and I would have to say it does not. However for certain kinds of music it could be suitable, but vocals are not the Triple.Fi's thing.

The Shures are my pleasure listening phones and the ER4 is my analytical phone. It's not a bad combo to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back