I didn't expect this... something good from Bose!
Jun 19, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I agree with the audiophile wisdom that Bose is way overpriced and often gives sub-par sound. That is the overall impression I have of the stereo in my Nissan 370Z... the amount they charge for the "upgrade" from the stock stereo is pretty ridiculous for what you are getting. The bass is boomy, the treble is up too high (the "loudness" feature can't be turned off) and the midrange almost non-existant. It is much better than most stock stereos, but that obviously isn't saying much.

I have to give them props for one thing, however. Although the bass isn't very tight, there's a pretty decent amount of it. I have always known that it had double subwoofers, but I didn't know the size. I assumed it had 10" or 12" subs. My jaw literally hit the floor when I found out the actual size is only 4". The subs are actually smaller than the door speakers.

Bose deserves 99% of the dissing it gets, but it is pretty amazing that they can get the kind of volume out of these things given that they are so tiny. Maybe they do know something about enclosures.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 45
My Mazdaspeed6 has a Bose stereo in it, 8" sub in the back deck with no enclosure (other than the trunk). For a factory installed stereo it sounds pretty decent. Good enough that I haven't swapped it out in the 2.5 years I've owned the car. Which is saying quite a bit... the last 3 cars I owned had the factory deck in them for at most a week each.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 45
Are you guys making these comments under some kind of threat against yourselves and your families? Cough once for yes, or twice for no.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 45
My mother has an Infinity G35 with the Bose 10 speaker system and I have to say that it sounds excellent.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you guys making these comments under some kind of threat against yourselves and your families? Cough once for yes, or twice for no.

Good one!

As I said, I'm not that impressed with the stereo overall, but I have to give people props when they are due... making 4" speakers sound like subs three times their size is impressive.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 45
I will admit that they sound ok, and as long as you arent paying a seperate premium for just the stereo system, I guess its alright, but once you get into repairs and maintenance, boy, you are gonna have a tough time. Two ppl I know just replaced the deck since the quote for a repair job was three times the price for a professionally installed new stereo.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 45
From your description, it seems the Bose system sounds like crap and is overpriced ( your words more or less).

Reproducing one frequency range well doesn't make Bose good. Music is in the entire audible spectrum.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From your description, it seems the Bose system sounds like crap and is overpriced ( your words more or less).

Reproducing one frequency range well doesn't make Bose good. Music is in the entire audible spectrum.

Read the entire thread... I'm not saying Bose is good, all I said is that it's impressive that 4" speakers can move that type of air. And it is moving air, not just vibrating my spine; it makes the mirror shake.

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea and once you hear a good sensitive subwoofer, you will be thinking that the Bose sub can only produce 1 low note. But, not too hard to replace the speakers and head unit.

I've owned a Velodyne, does that count?
wink_face.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the speakerbox in that 350z is almost touching your back, its right behind the seat.. so you're hearing the reverb from your bones ^^

Not a 350Z, a 370Z. I haven't driven the 350Z, but the subs in the 370Z are definitely not touching the seats, they are above the spare tire, so there's a good 2' or so between me and them.

Jun 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 45
I have some Bose Micro Music Monitors, and I agree, they produce an insane amount of bass for such tiny enclosures. Midrange? What's that?

It has crossed my mind to open them up to see what's inside them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back