I could use some advice
Jul 28, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #16 of 18
Hi @MaGie,

Hope you find what you're looking for.

As a final note, in the past, I have had a few issues with flac & wav files, though more the former though these days, it is a lot better than it used to be, especially flac so I do agree, it comes down to recording implementation, some are better than others.

Oh and as a final thing, just my humble opinion but if you don't like Beyer, you're not going to like Hifiman but then the only way to know is try to demo.

Enjoy your search.

Have a great day !

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #17 of 18
I haven't heard a single Grado, and honestly I'm in no rush to do so. They seem to be a love / hate relationship, but my understanding is that they can become quite fatiguing. I prefer a headphone that rides just under that line of fatigue, similar to what I'd consider the 1 more triple driver over ear to be. I also like a slightly elevated low end, somewhere North of Neutral. Mids are priority as they are the meat of the music, especially with rock, which is 90% of what I listen to.
The Hifiman Edition S is actually similar to the 1 more imo. Bass is tight and not boomy. They have a little bigger sound overall, with a larger, more dimensional sound stage. Imaging isn't quite as good, but instrument separation is still stellar. Mids and treble are excellent, again riding just below that line of fatigue - they sound harsh in no way. They have bigger 50 mm drivers that really packs a dynamic punch. So essentially a similar sound to the 1 more, bigger stage and more air around the instruments. Open and closed back aren't to much different. With the covers on they don't create a tight enough seal to be a true closed back. I would consider it semi open. Less air and stage with the covers on, but not much. They aren't as well built as the 1 more, but I handle mine with care.
I also have the H6. These are 3 of my 4 favorite cans. The 4th being the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X. The H6 has an incredible sound stage for a closed back. Imaging is still above average. They are slightly smoother and more laid back than the other 2, but they aren't rich or dark. I can listen to the 1 more and Edition S for hours. I can listen to the H6 for days. It's not what I would consider consumer tuned. It's extremely balanced imo. Bass can get just a tad more boomy than the other 2, but nothing crazy. The mids absolutely shine in these cans. They handle guitar distortion like a champ, and kick drums are money.
I expanded the "collection" with one more set of headphones: the B&O H6 2nd generation. I trusted your advice and a lot of good reviews online. Again I bought them on Amazon Germany. Don't know why but prices there are a lot better than here in the Nethelands. Lowest price here is 299,- Euro's. I bought it at Amazon for 204,- Euro's. The sand-colored model was even cheaper at 178,-. Again they were delivered free of charge within 2 days. Perfect. I love them very very much. I have to get used to the clamping force (maybe my head is too big), but they sound absolutely great. Lots of detail and the bass is clean and pure, with enough sub-bass when it's in the music. But never dark or boomy. They look great too, beautifully made and light. In the next period I will try to compare them to the 1More's. For now I'm satisfied and I've spent enough money for the time beeing. Again thanks for your advice!

Jul 29, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #18 of 18
I expanded the "collection" with one more set of headphones: the B&O H6 2nd generation. I trusted your advice and a lot of good reviews online. Again I bought them on Amazon Germany. Don't know why but prices there are a lot better than here in the Nethelands. Lowest price here is 299,- Euro's. I bought it at Amazon for 204,- Euro's. The sand-colored model was even cheaper at 178,-. Again they were delivered free of charge within 2 days. Perfect. I love them very very much. I have to get used to the clamping force (maybe my head is too big), but they sound absolutely great. Lots of detail and the bass is clean and pure, with enough sub-bass when it's in the music. But never dark or boomy. They look great too, beautifully made and light. In the next period I will try to compare them to the 1More's. For now I'm satisfied and I've spent enough money for the time beeing. Again thanks for your advice!
Outstanding! Yep, you must have a big melon. Mine slide off my head if I lye down to fast. I actually wish they had a little more clamp. The all day listening characteristics make up for it though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back