I could use some advice
Jul 16, 2018 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MaGie

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am Marc and I just joined this great forum. For a long time I mainly listen to music through a DAP and a set of headphones. I started with an Ipod Classic, then connected it to a Fiio E12. Later I bought the Fiio X5 and last year the X5III. Somewhere in the 80's I bought a new AKG K501 and that's what I used since then. I still have it in excellent condition, but in combination with the Fiio's it just doesn't do it for me. It's great for classical and acoustic music but unfortunately those are not my favorite types of music. I like mainly seventies rock and progrock (Genesis, Rush). A few years ago I got a Grado SR60 very cheap and I was pleasantly surprised. Then after a lot of internet research I got the Soundmagic HP150. I still love those cans. But, hungry for more I started looking for an upgrade. Soundmagic isn't available in the Netherlands anymore, besides they haven't released anything new since then. So I got the Hifiman HE400S after a price-drop. Totally not impressed. Had them play for a couple of days to burn them in, but still: no. I had the focuspads but the overall sound was flat and boring (in my humble opinion). I also read great reviews about the Meze 99 Classics, so I ordered those online. Total disappointment. Sorry. Way to dark and bass-heavy. The sound om my HP150's is much brighter and with a more open character. So I returned the Meze's. Unfortunately there are hardly any good stores in our neighborhood where I can go and listen to different sets. So I turn to you for help/advice. I have a shortlist matching the budget I want to spend:
Grado SR325e
Shure SRH1540
Focal Sonorous III (maybe IV)
Any suggestions are more than welcome!
About the lower end of the sound: I'm not a real bass freak but when it;s there it has to sound good.
Anyone know Genesis' live album Seconds out? The first track "Squonk" with the bass-pedals sounds deep but clear on the HP150's On the Hifiman it was hardly there and on the Meze''s it was all a dark rumble.
Can you slightly deduct what I'm looking for? Hope to hear form you soon!
Thanks a lot!

Jul 17, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #3 of 18
Finding the 99 Classics too dark, and some love for the HP151.......If you can deal with a larger on ear, I really think you would like the 1 more triple driver over ear. The pads actually cover my ears for the most part, but if you have larger than average ears, I could see the pads resting on them.
These do have somewhat elevated bass, but it's not the least bit bloated, loose or boomy. It's just nice, tight and impactful. Some of the best low end I've heard. They have a little ceramic tweeter separate from the driver. It delivers some of the cleanest, purist, most brilliant treble I've heard, while never becoming harsh or ear piercing. It's just clear, like surgically clear. The headphones image like no other closed back I've heard. Instrument separation is unmistakable.
I encourage you to look at some online reviews. Look on YouTube at Zeos review of these. He gets a little over excited perhaps, but he's not wrong in his opinion on these cans. I actually passed on them at 1st, and purchased the B&O H6 instead. Not a mistake at all - I love them. I went back and demoed the 1 more again yesterday, and ended up purchasing them today. I'm quite glad I have both. The H6 is a more laid back, smooth kinda ride, while the 1 more is just straight precision. Both headphones have excellent imaging. Plus the 1 mores are portable, so they will be going pretty much everywhere with me.

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 18
Try the SR325e but have a spare pair of clean, used socks ready in case the foam is uncomfortable or you want a bit more low bass and a little less treble..
Thanks ProtogeManiac! I returned the Hifiman and the store I bought it from advised me against the Focals. They should have the same sound as the Meze's. He advised me to go for the Grado SR325e. I'll let you know!

Jul 17, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #5 of 18
Finding the 99 Classics too dark, and some love for the HP151.......If you can deal with a larger on ear, I really think you would like the 1 more triple driver over ear. The pads actually cover my ears for the most part, but if you have larger than average ears, I could see the pads resting on them.
These do have somewhat elevated bass, but it's not the least bit bloated, loose or boomy. It's just nice, tight and impactful. Some of the best low end I've heard. They have a little ceramic tweeter separate from the driver. It delivers some of the cleanest, purist, most brilliant treble I've heard, while never becoming harsh or ear piercing. It's just clear, like surgically clear. The headphones image like no other closed back I've heard. Instrument separation is unmistakable.
I encourage you to look at some online reviews. Look on YouTube at Zeos review of these. He gets a little over excited perhaps, but he's not wrong in his opinion on these cans. I actually passed on them at 1st, and purchased the B&O H6 instead. Not a mistake at all - I love them. I went back and demoed the 1 more again yesterday, and ended up purchasing them today. I'm quite glad I have both. The H6 is a more laid back, smooth kinda ride, while the 1 more is just straight precision. Both headphones have excellent imaging. Plus the 1 mores are portable, so they will be going pretty much everywhere with me.
Thank you for your reaction. I will check out the reviews when I get home tonight. I must admit I have never heard of this brand. Their IEM's are available in my country but no-one is selling the over ear headphone's. I could get them on Amazon, but I think the price would go up due to import taxes. Returning them would become a problem.

Jul 17, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #6 of 18
Hi MaGie,

In my humble, subjective opinion, I don't find the dark rumble with Meze 99 Classics when listening to Genesis' Seconds Out, the bass pedals sound more than fine but that's just me.
I am not a basshead but I do enjoy good bass reponse.

Aside from the Shure SRH 1540, for good bass response, I would also suggest the following in no particular order :

Shure SRH 940
Audio Technica SR 9
Audio Technica MSR 7
Fostex TH610
Sony MDR 1000 AM2
Sony WH 1000 XM2

With the exception of the 610 & the SR 9, I own the rest on the list I just provided.

As a final note, I would suggest having a quality source, at least CD quality, 320 kbps, in my humble opinion, that may solve your bass issues among other things.

Hope you have a great day !

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #7 of 18
Hi MaGie,

In my humble, subjective opinion, I don't find the dark rumble with Meze 99 Classics when listening to Genesis' Seconds Out, the bass pedals sound more than fine but that's just me.
I am not a basshead but I do enjoy good bass reponse.

Aside from the Shure SRH 1540, for good bass response, I would also suggest the following in no particular order :

Shure SRH 940
Audio Technica SR 9
Audio Technica MSR 7
Fostex TH610
Sony MDR 1000 AM2
Sony WH 1000 XM2

With the exception of the 610 & the SR 9, I own the rest on the list I just provided.

As a final note, I would suggest having a quality source, at least CD quality, 320 kbps, in my humble opinion, that may solve your bass issues among other things.

Hope you have a great day !
Thanks for your feedback. I don't listen to MP3, only FLAC or WAV or DSD. So that will not be the problem. The Genesis album I mentioned is a remastered FLAC album. Of course it is all subjective and a matter of taste. I have the HD releases of most Rush albums. Sound great on the HP150: very clear with detail and clean sounding bass. I will do some internet search about the phones you mentioned. Thanks a lot, this gives me more to consider. Some day soon I hope to see the light.

Jul 18, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 18
I took the gamble! The 1More headphones were available on Amazon Germany for 170,- Euro's. So I ordered a pair yesterday. They will arrive early next week. I'll let you know how they sound. Thanks for the tip.

Jul 18, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 18
I took the gamble! The 1More headphones were available on Amazon Germany for 170,- Euro's. So I ordered a pair yesterday. They will arrive early next week. I'll let you know how they sound. Thanks for the tip.
Sweet. Which ones did you get? I forgot to mention there's a silver pair and a gold pair. I haven't heard the gold pair, but it's supposed to have slightly less bass, and a touch brighter treble.

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 18
Sweet. Which ones did you get? I forgot to mention there's a silver pair and a gold pair. I haven't heard the gold pair, but it's supposed to have slightly less bass, and a touch brighter treble.
I got the silver pair. There was no choice between gold or silver. It arrived today (not bad, 2 days since ordering it in Germany). It all looks quite premium, nice packaging etc.). I haven't listened to them much yet but first impression is great. In combination with the Fiio X5III I'm very happy with the sound. This is exactly the sound I like and was looking for. The basspedals from "Seconds out" sound clean and deep. Also the HD release from Rush "Moving pictures" sounds fantastic with lots of detail. I am going to enjoy these headphones a lot. Thanks for the tip!!!

Jul 19, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 18
I got the silver pair. There was no choice between gold or silver. It arrived today (not bad, 2 days since ordering it in Germany). It all looks quite premium, nice packaging etc.). I haven't listened to them much yet but first impression is great. In combination with the Fiio X5III I'm very happy with the sound. This is exactly the sound I like and was looking for. The basspedals from "Seconds out" sound clean and deep. Also the HD release from Rush "Moving pictures" sounds fantastic with lots of detail. I am going to enjoy these headphones a lot. Thanks for the tip!!!
Right on! I'm generally a little skeptical about about making suggestions because what we like and hear is so subjective. When I read your 1st post, it just screamed 1 more triple driver. I also have the silver edition, and Rush does sound amazing on them, as does Boston. If you decide to expand on your collection and want a pair of open back headphones, take a look at the Hifiman Edition S. I'm listening to some Zeppelin on them right now. Good stuff

Jul 19, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 18
It’s always nice to hear someone found a headphone they like.

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 18
Right on! I'm generally a little skeptical about about making suggestions because what we like and hear is so subjective. When I read your 1st post, it just screamed 1 more triple driver. I also have the silver edition, and Rush does sound amazing on them, as does Boston. If you decide to expand on your collection and want a pair of open back headphones, take a look at the Hifiman Edition S. I'm listening to some Zeppelin on them right now. Good stuff
I'm curious about the Hifiman Edition S. I have spent hours on the internet reading reviews of all types of headphones. Also saw a lot of reviews on YouTube. But that doesn't really help because every reviewer has his own taste and opinion. At one point you think a certain headphone fits the bill, until you read another review that says it isn't all that great. So I have become hesitant about the Grado SR325e. It is quite expensive (399,- Euro's). I read a lot of good news about them, but also that it has to match your taste. The are not everyones best friends. Nice about the Edition S is that you have 2 headphones in 1. And it's half the price if the 325e. What more can you tell me about them? What type of music do you listen to? What's the difference open/closed? And what about the B&O H6, how do they compare? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks and have a nice weekend!

Jul 21, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 18
I haven't heard a single Grado, and honestly I'm in no rush to do so. They seem to be a love / hate relationship, but my understanding is that they can become quite fatiguing. I prefer a headphone that rides just under that line of fatigue, similar to what I'd consider the 1 more triple driver over ear to be. I also like a slightly elevated low end, somewhere North of Neutral. Mids are priority as they are the meat of the music, especially with rock, which is 90% of what I listen to.
The Hifiman Edition S is actually similar to the 1 more imo. Bass is tight and not boomy. They have a little bigger sound overall, with a larger, more dimensional sound stage. Imaging isn't quite as good, but instrument separation is still stellar. Mids and treble are excellent, again riding just below that line of fatigue - they sound harsh in no way. They have bigger 50 mm drivers that really packs a dynamic punch. So essentially a similar sound to the 1 more, bigger stage and more air around the instruments. Open and closed back aren't to much different. With the covers on they don't create a tight enough seal to be a true closed back. I would consider it semi open. Less air and stage with the covers on, but not much. They aren't as well built as the 1 more, but I handle mine with care.
I also have the H6. These are 3 of my 4 favorite cans. The 4th being the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 58X. The H6 has an incredible sound stage for a closed back. Imaging is still above average. They are slightly smoother and more laid back than the other 2, but they aren't rich or dark. I can listen to the 1 more and Edition S for hours. I can listen to the H6 for days. It's not what I would consider consumer tuned. It's extremely balanced imo. Bass can get just a tad more boomy than the other 2, but nothing crazy. The mids absolutely shine in these cans. They handle guitar distortion like a champ, and kick drums are money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back