i can't hear a difference between fiio e7 and my onboard sound.
Jun 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #47 of 75
Quote:
i will keep it just in case it is needed in the future. if i were to be honest i have noticed a few problems with my on board headphone in. it tends to get quieter randomly. the fiio allows me to by pass that issue. also i do feel there is a slight difference in the bass now that i do some aba. so i feel the slight increase in sound quality warrants me keeping it. after all i want the best sound i can get.

I think you should return it, save up some money, and find a better separate DAC and AMP. Like I said before, portable units barely make any difference and have the least amount of value for what you pay for. You hear such a small difference now, is the difference worth $100? Neither the AMP nor the DAC seems to be improving your sound much if at all.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #48 of 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wouldn't assume amps costing five to ten times more would beat the Fiio.  There was a guy selling amps on here not too long ago that screwed a bunch of people with expensive amps that were built wrong.  SinglePower wasn't it? 

I think you need to read ALL the Singlepower threads, especially those written by skylab. He did his best to deter people from buying any more amps from the person in question, but admitted that his own Singlepower was a very good amp. I've never heard the amp, and I agree that you cant draw a linear graph equating price with performance, but in this case the pendulum may have swung a little further to the other side than it should have.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #49 of 75
Quote:
I think you need to read ALL the Singlepower threads, especially those written by skylab. He did his best to deter people from buying any more amps from the person in question, but admitted that his own Singlepower was a very good amp. I've never heard the amp, and I agree that you cant draw a linear graph equating price with performance, but in this case the pendulum may have swung a little further to the other side than it should have.

Its from before the time I joined up but I'm pretty sure the problem was that when orders picked up he just started half-assing everything to the point where his stuff became a fire hazard.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #50 of 75

Quote:
Its from before the time I joined up but I'm pretty sure the problem was that when orders picked up he just started half-assing everything to the point where his stuff became a fire hazard.

^ This.

A lot of people, if they were lucky, caught the problems ahead of time and fixed them.  Those that didn't were left with an overpriced paperweight that if used could be dangerous.

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #51 of 75
Jun 27, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #52 of 75
i thought i would mention this. my fiio e7 makes my ipod look like a bomb. i love the stares i get.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #53 of 75

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #54 of 75
ok is this normal. i tried the fiio e7 on my toshiba laptop and no difference between onboard sound and the dac. i then wanted to try it on my netbook knowing that my netbook sounds a lot worse then my laptop. i plugged my fiio e7 in and it sounded the same. but different then it does on my toshiba laptop. What is this? isn't it supposed to improve on worse cards? am i doing something wrong?

Jun 28, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #55 of 75

Quote:
ok is this normal. i tried the fiio e7 on my toshiba laptop and no difference between onboard sound and the dac. i then wanted to try it on my netbook knowing that my netbook sounds a lot worse then my laptop. i plugged my fiio e7 in and it sounded the same. but different then it does on my toshiba laptop. What is this? isn't it supposed to improve on worse cards? am i doing something wrong?

In such case, I will ask myself these questions: (1) whether my headphone benefit from amping, (2) could I tell the difference between amp / ampless, with one particular or multiple headphones and (3) Is it possible that this is a case of both (1) and (2)?

Perhaps this is back to my previous post: What and why are you trying to improve?

Jun 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #57 of 75
Also the sound should not be different if you use the E7 as DAC with 2 different laptops and the same song and software player. It should sound identical, as the E7 works as DAC and amp adn the source is the same. But of course that requires that the E7 is properly connected to the USB port only and not via analog connection.

Is the E7 properly set up in the system settings?

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #58 of 75

Quote:
Also the sound should not be different if you use the E7 as DAC with 2 different laptops and the same song and software player. It should sound identical, as the E7 works as DAC and amp adn the source is the same. But of course that requires that the E7 is properly connected to the USB port only and not via analog connection.

Is the E7 properly set up in the system settings?

how do i do that? stupid question i know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back