i can't hear a difference between fiio e7 and my onboard sound.
Jun 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #61 of 75
[size=small][size=small]"Ridge Hall computer assistance; may I help you?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"What sort of trouble?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Went away?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"They disappeared." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Nothing." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Nothing?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"How do I tell?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"What's a sea-prompt?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Does your monitor have a power indicator?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"What's a monitor?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"I don't know." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, I think so." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, it is." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"No." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Okay, here it is." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"I can't reach." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle -- it's because it's dark." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Dark?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, -the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, turn on the office light then." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"I can't." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"No? Why not?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Because there's a power failure." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"A power... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Really? Is it that bad?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, I'm afraid it is." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."[/size] [/size]

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #62 of 75

Quote:
[size=small][size=small]"Ridge Hall computer assistance; may I help you?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"What sort of trouble?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Went away?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"They disappeared." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Nothing." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Nothing?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"How do I tell?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"What's a sea-prompt?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Does your monitor have a power indicator?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"What's a monitor?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"I don't know." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, I think so." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, it is." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Okay, here it is." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"I can't reach." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle -- it's because it's dark." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Dark?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, -the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, turn on the office light then." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"I can't." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"No? Why not?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Because there's a power failure." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"A power... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Really? Is it that bad?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Yes, I'm afraid it is." [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?" [/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."[/size] [/size]

LMAO that was hilarious. to reply to help. i set it as default a different way. but i was thinking perhaps i did it wrong. i am far from computer illiterate. im just not knowledgeable on external sound cards and how they work. but im pretty sure i got it now.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #64 of 75

Quote:
So did setting it as default fix the problem or not? I want to buy a Fiio e7 but I got very worried when reading this thread.

no it did nothing.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #65 of 75
Can you post a picture of how you connected the E7 to your PC?

Just to make sure it's really correct?

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #66 of 75
I can't hear a much a difference between my iMac's onboard and the Music Streamer as well.  Some onboards are just pretty good I guess.  I know for certain some are bad though.  My old G5 iMac was one such case.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #67 of 75

Quote:
Can you post a picture of how you connected the E7 to your PC?

Just to make sure it's really correct?

If he's using it as a DAC there is only one way - via the USB.

BTW - don't necessarily be put off by Casey's experience.  It depends on how good your onboard is.  And Casey has been flip-flopping a bit (first there's a difference, then there's not).  There's a post #53 one page back that has since been edited.  It originally stated that he did find a difference in both the netbook and then the laptop as well - the post has since been edited and the comment removed by him.

FWIW, I own the E7 and I've found an audible difference with my netbook - which is what I sometimes use when I'm traveling (business).  I've also paired the E7 to the E9 for home use, and I'm fully satisfied.  Opinions will differ - get some more from others if you're not sure.  I bought the E7 specifically for a cleaner signal.  It's achieved that for me.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #68 of 75

Quote:
BTW - don't necessarily be put off by Casey's experience.  It depends on how good your onboard is.  And Casey has been flip-flopping a bit (first there's a difference, then there's not).  There's a post #53 one page back that has since been edited.  It originally stated that he did find a difference in both the netbook and then the laptop as well - the post has since been edited and the comment removed by him.

Bravo - well picked up.

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #69 of 75

Quote:
If he's using it as a DAC there is only one way - via the USB.

FWIW, I own the E7 and I've found an audible difference with my netbook - which is what I sometimes use when I'm traveling (business).  I've also paired the E7 to the E9 for home use, and I'm fully satisfied.  Opinions will differ - get some more from others if you're not sure.  I bought the E7 specifically for a cleaner signal.  It's achieved that for me.

i edited that because i aba'd it again and heard no difference.

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #70 of 75
First of all, PLUG YOUR E7 USING THE PROVIDED USB CABLE 

Click Start or Windows Icon

Then go to Control Panel

Go to Hardware and Sound

Go to Manage Audio Devices

A screen will pop up then select "usb DAC" then right click it.  Choose "properties"

Select the red circled tabs to configure your DAC

On the Enhancement tab, check Bass Boost and Virtual Surround

On the Advance tab, select the drop down menu then click  the "16 bit 48000 Hz DVD Quality"

ENJOY
beerchug.gif
L3000.gif

edit: added "right click" then chose "properties"

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #72 of 75
Yep - they're OS rather than E7.

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #73 of 75
Great guide awesomesauceshow. :wink:

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #74 of 75
thanks
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #75 of 75
after trying the fiio e7 with my alessandro and comparing them to my onboard i found the onboard incredibly harsh. so to conclude i think the fiio e7 is worth it even though i noticed almost no difference with my shure srh840 for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back