I can't decide! AD2k or DT880? Pls read post #1
Mar 5, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
big-ban, it doesn't make sense to revoke other headphones. ED9's have not that big soundstage, the Proline 2500's have bigger and more impressive, and they could work for trance very well. The ED9's magic lies somewhere else.

Why doesn't it make sense? If the given options aren't 100% satisfying to the OP, why not resort to other options? I'll have to agree, the ED9 is another price category, but since the OP is dreaming of the L3000 already, why not put some more fuel to his fire?
wink.gif

The ED9 came to my mind because of the - to my ears - large soundstage, yet good detailing and pronounced bass.
What's the "somewhere else" you're talking about?

Quote:

I wouldn't call the DT880 '05 bass-light as well. They have quite much trebles, especially when compared to dark and juicy headphones but actually they are closer to the nature than i.e. the HD600's and it's not that the DT880's highs are emphasized or something. They're mostly not rolled off in the regions where other headphones are. Things like separation, soudstage, air, whatever you say is the AD2k's feature, applies to the DT880 '05's as well. At least I don't miss it using them.

I never said the AD2000 has superior soundstage/imaging/whatever. I said the AD2000 doesn't force all those technicalities on you and lets you focus on the music instead. The DT880 '03 did many technical things for me, but didn't let me lose myself in the music. Also, because of the spikey treble, I sort of disliked its overall tonality. It just wasn't "fun".

As to the DT880 '05, I've also heard it briefly during a meet, but from my short experience I can't form any comprehensive opinion on it. All I can say is that it probably wasn't all too far off the trebly DT880 '03 and thus not worth the expense for me.

Quote:

Regarding the electrostats. Yes, they're more different than better but the AD2k's don't even compare to the dynamic hi-end. I prefer SR-404 and SR-007 to the O2's, BTW.

Uhm, isn't SR-007 == O2 (Omega 2)!? How exactly doesn't the AD2K compare to the dynamic hi-end? The L3000 might be technically better (resolution, imaging), but as I said, it is not ultimately better or worse, just very different. The AD2K can hold its own ground against the dynamic ultra-high-end.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #32 of 60
I currently have K701 and I have heard DT880 on a loan from my friend for about a week.
My initial plan was to keep K701, AD2000 and perhaps acquire DT880 to complement all possible genres of music. However, after listening to AD2k, I haven't even touched my K701s and I'm thinking about selling that pair with my amp, as well as dwindled crave for that DT880 sound. Everything I threw at AD2k - R&B, blues, Jazz, Classical, indie, J-pop, massive attack, etc- AD2k just sounded more involved, fun, without sacrificing detail at all.

There is more perceived detail present in DT880 or K701, but I think AD2k ranks in the same level of detail as DT880 - just not as pronounced. So I don't think my K701s will stay for too long. I might trade in my MS2i for a pair of higher-end grados(RS1?) , but AD2k makes me forget about what I craved before.

My opinions are biased because AD2K is my new toy, but I'm sure that's not the only thing that I'm happy about my cans - there's no doubting that these cans just sound so good

I should also note that I'm absolutely critical of bass presentation. I couldn't stand denons, HD6X0s, DT770s - but AD2k changed my whole perspective on bass presentation - it's certainly not bass-light phone, I would say it's slightly on bass-heavy side (not close to your darth beyers though). Its impact was best I've heard from this price range, helped by quick retrieval and pure speed of bass presentation (important in classical). Honestly, only thing that K701 did better than AD2K was on selective classical music IMO

Please read this with a critical mind, as I stated in my impression thread already, these cans are impossible to judge objectively at the moment ( and not for a while). But I don't think too many (if any) will find these cans unpleasant - unless one's preference is toward extremely bass-heavy (if someone thinks darth beryers are lacking in bass) or extremely treble oriented (SR325is are not "hot" enough).

AD2000 in my opinion is a safe (yet more pricey) bet. Coloration and soundstage, detail etc is hard to judge when you're so involved with the music.

As a stark contrast to ES7s, AD2ks are not love or hate cans at all IMO. Its either "I love them, but other phone does better on bass presentation and soundstage" or "I need a pair of adult dipers every time I put these on"(me).

sorry about the rant, but my vote is a emphatic "yes! yes! oh god yes!" on AD2000
biggrin.gif

Happy listening!
Red.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

BTW, does the AD2k put you at least in the fifth row or so of the performance? I can't stand it if it sounds like Grados and the music sounds as though you are standing on the stage with the musicians...

5th row is about right so long as the person in front of you isn't some woman with "big hair" or some dude who is the size of famous Head-Fi'er's Yikes or Bigguy (both of whom are 6'7" tall and also quite big). Of course, it depends on how much space there is between each row, how close the first row is to the stage, how high up the stage is, how much of a pitch there is in terms of the incline from row to row, whether it's an indoor or outdoor venue... what was the question again? Oh ya, they're not as forward as the RS-1 and not as laid back the HD600.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #34 of 60
Back to the original posters question.... get the ad2ks already, you know you want to. The only thing that it lacks in for me is a sparkly top end. Were talking 14khz and above

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #35 of 60
Guys, how do you cope with the death grip of AD2000, I have tried to unbend the heandband, but looks like it doesn't give much. What's wrong with ATH, you have to bend W5000 to get a better fit and unbend AD2000 to lose the vise-grip?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, how do you cope with the death grip of AD2000, I have tried to unbend the heandband, but looks like it doesn't give much. What's wrong with ATH, you have to bend W5000 to get a better fit and unbend AD2000 to lose the vise-grip?
biggrin.gif

I got used to it . .
smily_headphones1.gif

No seriously, are you having comfort issues with the drivers pressing on the ears? Then try the Phatpad mod. After that mod, I don't have as much issues with the AD2000 comfort anymore.

If you're talking about the clamping force, the headband doesn't bend easily like the W5000 version. It seemed like mine loosened up a bit after some head time. You can try stretching it out with shoebox or books over a long period of time, but I would recommend against brute force for instant modification.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

just like I modded my K701 headband - just keep them on (on your head, or head-sized object) it'll loosen up with time)

How are your pair sounding so far?

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got used to it . .
smily_headphones1.gif

No seriously, are you having comfort issues with the drivers pressing on the ears? Then try the Phatpad mod. After that mod, I don't have as much issues with the AD2000 comfort anymore.

If you're talking about the clamping force, the headband doesn't bend easily like the W5000 version. It seemed like mine loosened up a bit after some head time. You can try stretching it out with shoebox or books over a long period of time, but I would recommend against brute force for instant modification.

I got around ear touching issue by moving them forward a bit, so pads are riding on the back of the ears, not fully enclosing them. The clamp is what bothers me, but it already got significantly better after some stretching.

Mar 6, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #39 of 60
The comfort of the ad2k is perfect for me. I wouldn't want less grip and the drivers don't touch my ears. They are more comfortable than my former hd595s

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@OP:
I've also previously owned the DT880 '03 and found it was too sterile, lifeless and trebly sounding.

That is exactly how I feel about the 2003 version too, except the part about them sounding trebly.
However I heard the 2005 version side by side with them, to me the 2005 version was significantly more involving than the 2003 version.

Quote:

The AD2K is - in my experience - the most punchy of all headphones I've heard. The bass is amazingly quick and has just the right impact to make kickdrums sound so real and palpable.

From reading all the comments in this thread, I'm fairly convinced that the AD2k bass would be enough for me. I did find the DT880 to have enough bass for my taste, so the AD2k should be fine.

Quote:

I don't think DT880, HD580 AND D1000 have much in common in terms of bass impact. I'd say the D1000 has by far the most bass, it is in fact a rather bassy headphone, followed by the more or less balanced HD580 and the pretty bass-light DT880.

Well, I didn't mean to say that they had the same level of quantity or quality of bass. I just wanted to point out that I've heard these and if the AD2k bass was roughly somewhere around any of these three cans, then it would be fine. Someone mentioned the Ad2k had bass somewhat like the HD580?
wink.gif

I think I should be fine with the bass of the AD2k, its no longer a concern of mine. Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

However, it doesn't focus on detail retrieval or massive soundstage though

Aww.. shucks... I was kinda hoping that the AD2k had at least a little detail retrieval and some separation?
I mean... at least this much:
negroponteafp.jpg

biggrin.gif

At least... like uh ... on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 would be awesome detail retrieval, I'm expecting roughly about 7 or so?

Lets say for example, the Darths are 5, the DT880 are 10, where would the AD2k be?

Quote:

Lets put it that way: both have the details and separation, but the DT880 throws them at you a little more readily and at the same time tries to be more of a soundstage headphone, while the AD2000 just plain delivers and let's you forget all the technical babble and eventual shortcomings.

I don't expect the Ad2k to try soo hard to be a soundstage headphone. If it had a moderate level of soundstage, I'd be ok with it. Has to be at least more than Grados.

Again, if DT880 were a 10, then a 6 or so from the AD2000 would be ok with me.

Quote:

The important question here is: do you want a soundstage headphone or a headphone that simply makes you not worry about (the lack of) soundstage?

I'd say its more of the latter case. Pls refer to what I wrote above.

Quote:

Another idea I came up with is the Edition 9.

You are teh DEVIL!
biggrin.gif

NO! No ED9! Waaaaaaaaay over budget!

Quote:

As a final statement I'd say that you really need to auditon more headphones.

I've heard or owned:

Darth v3 closed
ES7
d1000
k81dj
k701
k501
k530
dt990 2005
dt880 2003
dt880 2005
HD580

uh... I might have missed out a few more... can't recall right now

Quote:

I'll have to agree, the ED9 is another price category, but since the OP is dreaming of the L3000 already, why not put some more fuel to his fire?
wink.gif

You Sir, are pure EVIL!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everything I threw at AD2k - R&B, blues, Jazz, Classical, indie, J-pop, massive attack, etc- AD2k just sounded more involved, fun, without sacrificing detail at all.

Hmmmm... good to know.

Quote:

There is more perceived detail present in DT880 or K701, but I think AD2k ranks in the same level of detail as DT880 - just not as pronounced.

So, using the scale I said earlier, maybe they'd qualify as a 7 then?
confused.gif

Quote:

As a stark contrast to ES7s, AD2ks are not love or hate cans at all IMO. Its either "I love them, but other phone does better on bass presentation and soundstage" or "I need a pair of adult dipers every time I put these on"(me).

sorry about the rant, but my vote is a emphatic "yes! yes! oh god yes!" on AD2000
biggrin.gif

You love the ES7 just like I do, so I guess I'm gonna love the AD2k too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5th row is about right so long as the person in front of you isn't some woman with "big hair" or some dude who is the size of famous Head-Fi'er's Yikes or Bigguy (both of whom are 6'7" tall and also quite big). Of course, it depends on how much space there is between each row, how close the first row is to the stage, how high up the stage is, how much of a pitch there is in terms of the incline from row to row, whether it's an indoor or outdoor venue... what was the question again? Oh ya, they're not as forward as the RS-1 and not as laid back the HD600.

Whoa! Is that the hardcore head-fier inside speaking or was that sarcasm?... lol j/k
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Thanks for the "detailed" description though.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back to the original posters question.... get the ad2ks already, you know you want to. The only thing that it lacks in for me is a sparkly top end. Were talking 14khz and above

Silver cables!
tongue.gif

[size=x-small]Anyway, to CONCLUDE: I wanna thank all of you for your valuable input, you guys were very helpful.
cool.gif

I think the DT880 would be excellent for my trance music, but the AD2k will handle all my other music better. Hence, I think AD2k>DT880 for my needs.

HOWEVER now I just gotta decide if the DT880 deal is a better deal? I mean... two sets of earpads... one is leather... can be used as spares on my current darths!
And the AD2000 being more than $500.... price going up on audio cubes and all... I just found out my dad's friend will be moving to Taiwan and not Hong Kong as I originally thought... So, there goes my hopes of a "cheap" AD2k...
rolleyes.gif
Crap.[/size]

Anyway, thanks guys! I think I clearly understand how these headphones differ now.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From reading all the comments in this thread, I'm [size=xx-small]fairly[/size] convinced that the AD2k bass would be enough for me. I did find the DT880 to have enough bass for my taste, so the AD2k should be fine.

The above sentence is a downright spawn of truth without the word "fairly" in it and with the word "should" replaced by "will"
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Aww.. shucks... I was kinda hoping that the AD2k had at least a little detail retrieval and some separation?
I mean... at least this much:
negroponteafp.jpg

biggrin.gif

At least... like uh ... on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 would be awesome detail retrieval, I'm expecting roughly about 7 or so?

Lets say for example, the Darths are 5, the DT880 are 10, where would the AD2k be?

Well, hard to say, but given the DT880 are 10, I'd say the AD2000 is around 9. I've never compared them directly with special respect to the detailing, but I wouldn't say either of those two phones has a significant advantage over the other.

Quote:

I don't expect the Ad2k to try soo hard to be a soundstage headphone. If it had a moderate level of soundstage, I'd be ok with it. Has to be at least more than Grados.

Yup, it definitely has more than Grados.

Quote:

Again, if DT880 were a 10, then a 6 or so from the AD2000 would be ok with me.

I think you'll find that the soundstage is just... different. Better hear for yourself
wink.gif

As you know, I don't think I'd ever agree with anyone who said that wider and deeper soundstage is better per say. It depends on your preferred presentation and the music itself of course. As for my tastes, I can listen to any type of music with the AD2000 and always be happy with the results.

Quote:

NO! No ED9! Waaaaaaaaay over budget!
[...]
You Sir, are pure EVIL!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

People need something to dream of, don't they? :p

Quote:

Anyway, to CONCLUDE: I wanna thank all of you for your valuable input, you guys were very helpful.
cool.gif

I think the DT880 would be excellent for my trance music, but the AD2k will handle all my other music better. Hence, I think AD2k>DT880 for my needs.

I'd say this is a good choice. Soundwise it seems the AD2K might be what you're looking for after all.

Quote:

HOWEVER now I just gotta decide if the DT880 deal is a better deal? I mean... two sets of earpads... one is leather... can be used as spares on my current darths!
And the AD2000 being more than $500.... price going up on audio cubes and all... I just found out my dad's friend will be moving to Taiwan and not Hong Kong as I originally thought... So, there goes my hopes of a "cheap" AD2k...
rolleyes.gif
Crap.

Well, just my opinion, but if you can, by any means, go for the sound you want and not for saving the last few dollars. Better save up a month or two longer and get what you know is good for you instead of the "fallback solution".

Quote:

Anyway, thanks guys! I think I clearly understand how these headphones differ now.
wink.gif

Eagerly awaiting your AD2K impressions
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #42 of 60
Your post made me ==>
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Eagerly awaiting your AD2K impressions
wink.gif

It's now AD2k hunting season. I'm busy hunting one down...
cool.gif

When I finally get teh AD2k and manage to get some quality listening time with it, I might do a review comparing it to the Darths and ES7 for the benefit of other members.
tongue.gif

I don't think there is a Darth vs AD2k review on Head-Fi?
confused.gif

It might take some time though, since I'm very busy in my final year of Uni. I don't even know how many weeks its gonna take for me to hunt down the AD2k... The wait is gonna kill me.
biggrin.gif

Then comes the burn in... oh you know the head-fi drill !
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I wanna say a BiG thank you once again to everyone who posted and voted in this thread. You guys have been very helpful!
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Basically, sometimes I want HEAD POUNDING BASS, and that I can get from my Darths.

Now I need a headphones with tons of details and separation and has tight punchy bass, for times when I want to HEAR EVERYTHING.

I currently have one set of closed Darth's and I am waiting for my second pair but closed this time. I understand exactly what you mean mean by this. I usually listen my Darth's with electronic music and drum pounding metal.

I voted for 880, since you like Beyer sound signature, the 880's are proven headphones.

Quote:

I do not like the Grado sound, too forward, didn't last more than 5 seconds on my head.

Stock maybe, I grabbed a paid of 325i re-cabled with moon-audio Black Dragon. I made zebrawood adapters to install Beyerdynamic leather pads, they have a LOT of soundstage now/better bass/warmer sound and are much more comfortable. If you wanna see a pic it's down there in my sig. As for the harsh trebles, none of that with recable/pad mod and the blu-tack on the drivers. :p

Just my 2 cents,

Charles

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #45 of 60
Grey Massacre, Youve got the bad things in the denon d2000s mixed with the audio technica ad2000s.

We are not talking about denons here... Are we?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back