I cannot make a solid choice.... MY BRAINS HURTS
Aug 1, 2008 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

rei_yano

100+ Head-Fier
I might be the most indecisive person ever. its been months of reading reviews and asking questions and trying to figure out what exactly I want in a portable player. I have considered the itouch, ipod mini with cf mod, meizu m6, cowon iaudio 7, and a whole bunch of others. Im still not completely sure but the ipod mini with cf mod has still held its place as something that I would enjoy very much mainly because I would have the chance to open it up and mod it which will be great I am sure. ultimately I am still not sold on anything.... anybody else out there as crazy indecisive as I am?
confused_face(1).gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 32
I have both a Cowon i7 and a modded iPod. You can't go wrong with either, so go with your gut -- the mod project sounds fun.

More important is this: fill 'em with high-quality rips, in fact I would say uncompressed FLAC (or WAVs).

Get a good pocket amp, and the best phones money can buy ... IEMs or closed-back folding cans.

The rips, the amp, and the choice of HP are all more important than the choice of i7 vs modded iPod!

Just do it. Every day you don't is a day of inferior listening. And there are only ____ days left until your 100th birthday, so why waste 'em?

Don't forget the PMP --> amp cable!

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 32
as far as headphones go I have been wanting some earbuds. earbuds are nostalgic for me. and ever since the yuin has popped up they have been in my crosshairs. as far as an amp goes Im not sure... but I already have a thread about that...

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More important is this: fill 'em with high-quality rips, in fact I would say uncompressed FLAC (or WAVs).

You probably meant "lossless FLACs (or uncompressed WAVs)".

I agree, but not even that can save a poor studio recording
wink_face.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 32
I just got a Sony NWZ-A729 16gb today and matched up with a set of Denon AH-C751's it sounds absolutely stunning. The only negative point I've found is the stock EX earbuds sound pretty much terrible however when i fitted my dennon tips the difference in clarity , sound stage and comfort was instantly noticeable.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rei_yano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all i want to know is if I am crazy

You are crazy.
Two or three weeks are quite normal for information gathering, but months?
Life is too short for such indecisiveness. .........

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #8 of 32
buy one and dont look back... i was once like you, but then realized that waiting so long would introduce even more (and better) players on the market... then the whole cycle of researching and comparing starts all over again...

bottom line: unless you are interested in a new batch of players that are coming out, just buy a player and enjoy yourself... like what was said b4 --> enjoy yourself while you can!

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #9 of 32
I used to have the same indecisiveness and would usually research things to death before buying them. Then when I bought them I was still unhappy because I analyzed them to death when using them. I did this with my tv, my phone, my graphics card, etc...

2 months I got as lump in my right nut. A few days later I had an operation to get it removed (my nut!). Then a few weeks later they told me it was cancer. Last week I did a week of chemotherapy and it was probably the worst week of my life. It doesn't matter that I did a whole week of chemo I have to do another one in 2 weeks. And then I will found out if I am done or if I have to do 2 more sessions. Aaargh!

Before that my best headphones were my Senn HD-555 or my Shure e2c.

Since then I have bought the following:

Shure SE530
Beyer Dynamics DT-770
Denon c551
AKG k701
Senn HD600
Squeezebox Duet
X-Can V8
iBasso D2

wavoman is totally right

And yesterday I went for a 2 hour walk with my iriver s10, se530 and D2 Boa and it was one of the best walks I ever had because every single song I listened to was totally f*ing awesome.

I'm not dying and i'm not sick. But I was so scared because at the time I thought to myself...

"Mike you're gonna die without ever having owned AKG 701:s... your life will have been in vain."

k701smile.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are crazy.
Two or three weeks are quite normal for information gathering, but months?
Life is too short for such indecisiveness. .........

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Selfpwnagesmall.gif

beerchug.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 32
I have made somewhat of a decision. Im gonna buy a sansa clip for now. since it is cheap. Im gonna wait till tax return time and see the situation. if I still cant find something to trump the ipod mini cf mod and amp plus yuins then Im gonna buy that. plus I just found out about the sansa clip and I really want one lol.

Aug 2, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #12 of 32
A few days ago I bought my fiancee an ipod classic 80gb for her birthday. I was really amazed at how slick it is. In Sweden you can't even buy the zune... how sick is that? The ipod classic that we have in europe is capped also so it doesn't have the same volume levels that the other models have (France wanted to impose a 100db limit).

You live in a country where you can get it cheaper and without limitations plus you can choose between ipod classic or zune.

The ipod classic together with my Boa portable amp is awesome and it alone with my SE530 is awesome as well. And I haven't even tried the line out capability to my portable amp yet. But wait... oh yeah I bought it for her. Doh!

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #13 of 32
Rei yano, enjoy the Clip, I just bought it for a friend and I was blown away by how good the sound was. I know a guy who sells hi-end speakers for a living, and even he was impressed by the SQ

If you use FLAC, then do consider the D2 also - I believe it sounds great to me and if you're planning an amp I'm sure it will only sound better

Users who are viewing this thread

Back