I broke my Shure SRH840's :'(
Jul 29, 2011 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

gurpswu

Head-Fier
I spent £130 on them...and i just ******* broke them. So i was wondering...what can I do...would there be any interest for them if i was to sell them on here?...If so..how much would i get for them...the sound is still perfect as the wire is still in perfect condition.

Or should I just superglue it back on? Or any other advice?

Thanks...any advice/tips will be appreciated as i mourn the loss of my Shure SRH840.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 46
I broke my pair of budget Senns in a similar fashion, only I sat on them.
confused_face.gif
  If you have a soldering iron you can melt and essentially "glue" the two plastic pieces together, but it depends on how thick the piece that holds the driver to the headband is.  I can't really tell since the photos are a bit dark.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 46
why don't you use your warranty? shure has amazing warranty support.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 46

Quote:
A generous helping of duct tape couldn't hurt.  I don't think superglue has the cojones to hold with the clamp force.

Thanks...for some reason...in the midst of my sadness, I didn't even think of this.

Quote:
I broke my pair of budget Senns in a similar fashion, only I sat on them.
confused_face.gif
  If you have a soldering iron you can melt and essentially "glue" the two plastic pieces together, but it depends on how thick the piece that holds the driver to the headband is.  I can't really tell since the photos are a bit dark.

What is the driver?

Quote:
why don't you use your warranty? shure has amazing warranty support.

Really? They would cover accidental damage? How do you know of their amazing warranty support...and past experiences with them...would it be as simple as saying they snapped? I need a repair or new ones?

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 46

Quote:
Thanks...for some reason...in the midst of my sadness, I didn't even think of this.

What is the driver?

Really? They would cover accidental damage? How do you know of their amazing warranty support...and past experiences with them...would it be as simple as saying they snapped? I need a repair or new ones?

i sent in my shure srh840 with an issue and they replaced it no questions asked. tell them what happened and tehy will have no issue with helping you. shure seems to care about it's customers. trust me i have used it.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 46
and keep the accessories they will send you a new box with headphones and accessories meaning you will have double of everything. happened to me.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurpswu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is the driver?

The earpiece that rests on your head..the part that broke off essentially.  If the warranty thing doesn't work out for you, see if you can disassemble the sections that were broken and isolate the broken parts so they're easier to work with.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 46
I think your first course of action would be to contact Shure support.  If you don't have a moral objection to it I would recommend leaving out the part where you go Chuck Norris on the cans.  Other than this break they look to be in mint shape, it doesn't look like you've put them in any blenders or ran over them with any cars.  If you tell Shure's customer support that the cup snapped of with normal use they may send you a new pair free of charge and attribute the break to some QC issue. 

If you find the above objectionable the soldering option or less ingenious duct tape option may help.  Chances are they wont ever fit/seal quite the same though.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 46
Hey, sorry my original reply had a typo it meant to say..

Really? They would cover accidental damage? How do you know of their amazing warranty support...had past experiences with them?...Would it be as simple as saying they snapped? I need a repair or new ones?

Sorry if the original sounded rude!

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 46
True, Shure have outstanding customer service. I have read good comments about it. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 46
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #13 of 46
http://www.shure.co.uk/support_download/warranty

shure pro audio products.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #14 of 46
Um, folding your headphone is not accidental damage. You are supposed to be able to fold them, and they are not supposed to break while doing so. I can't imagine you'll have trouble with warranty. 

Though this world is strange sometimes, so if that doesn't work out, I can tell you that super glue can probably work as long as you treat them gently after the fact. Many years back I had some JVC phones that clamped like hell and eventually snapped because of it, quite similarly to the way yours did. I superglued them back together and all was good, until the other side snapped off. Then I got new phones :)

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #15 of 46
Well, I tried the duct tape solution...but it's incredibly tricky to get it tight enough around the part of the headphone that is labelled left and right...(blue and red circles in above pictures)...so it didn't really work.

I haven't tried super glue as i don't see it working, it would probably be too stiff and result in it breaking off again.

I've contacted Shure...hopefully they honor the warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back