I apologize for having to ask this, but what is needed to connect from amp to, well, anything?
Oct 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

eniar

New Head-Fier
I tried to avoid coming here to ask this because of how this might look, but here's my situation.

I have a brand new pair of hd800s, a brand new Lyr, a combo I saw in a different thread on this very thread.

But I don't know how to hook that up into anything else. A quick search around says I need a DAC to actually hook up into things, but it also showed me comments saying that because the Lyr only has red and white rca's going in and out, that the quality of sound will only be in stereo, is this the case? will that not be, terrible?

What would a good DAC be to go with my setup? (if a DAC is indeed what I need)

I didn't expect to have to buy a third item, I tried using my astro mixamp just now but not getting that to work so well either.

Sorry for being so noob!

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 7
Definitely not a high end audio forum question but... you plug whatever it is that plays your CDs to the Lyr with stereo RCA cables.  If its a PC then you will also need RCA to stereo 1/8th inch phono jack.  Really no different than if you were going to an integrated, pre, receiver, powered speaker, power amp... red to red white to white :wink:

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 7
thank you, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

final question then, am i wrong in assuming that rca is poor quality? I figured if i went straight from hd800s ---> lyr ----> red and white into whatever that it would defeat the purpose

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
thank you, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

final question then, am i wrong in assuming that rca is poor quality? I figured if i went straight from hd800s ---> lyr ----> red and white into whatever that it would defeat the purpose

RCA is not poor quality.

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 7
Very wrong :wink:  That's not defeating the purpose, that is the purpose of the Lyr.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 7
You now have headphones and an amp, now all you need is a source. Do you have an ipod, everyones got an ipod now don’t they? The Lyr should have come with a 1/8” phono to rca adapter cable, red to red, white to white. Better yet, find yourself a CD player, a full size unit, a bit old school but they still will work great. Just connect the rca out on the player to the rca in on the Lyr, and enjoy.

Wow, HD800 and a Lyr, you jumped right into the deep end!

Welcome to Head-Fi

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 7
I kinda wonder if head-fi has a something like a user manual to explain to newbies, I faced the same problem when I got the Lyr and Bifrost(My first amp and DAC). I didn't really know about Head-fi at the time and there is almost no source of info on the internet to tell me about the connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back