I am now torn between what to do! Denon D2000, D5000, HD600, HD598, HD650 or?
Mar 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

mikkelmmk93

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests I am torn between what headset to buy!
I had been researching for a long time (before christmas) till now to find out what I wanted.
A little info on me:

I have Phonak Audeo PFE 122, which have been set as analytical IEM's in a IEM mashup thread on here.
I really like the level of detail they provide! the treble is so sparkly yet not to prominent. What I lack from those would be some more low end bass (maybe called sub bass, I am not sure), and even maybe some more detailing.
And that is what I seek from a set of cans.
I have listened to the D2000 back a week before christmas, but I did not have the time to listen to them properly.
So today I used the Beyer DT 770 80 ohm PRO, and was shocked at how badly they sound contra what I remembered them as. I am using them home (it's my brothers) so I can really test them out against my PFE122.
They really lack detail compared to those. Sure the Beyer have lots of bass and treble, but the treble is not that refined at all.

That got me thinking that I might be remembering the D2000 wrong. Is it a good detailed can? or would I be better off with the D5000, or maybe some of the sennheiser models.

My gear atm is either my desktops onboard dac and amp, or my Onkyo HT-R370 used as dac and amp.
My music that I am testing it with for clarity is flac files and apple lossless primarily. I do use some youtube videos as well to get voice and such.

So now I dont have any idea what to get! I have read alot about all these cans, and I seem to find a trend that people call the HD 650, 600 and 598 a bit veiled, as in not that much detail in the treble, and to lack some low end bass (sub bass?) and to be more warm. Is this correct, and how would it be compared to the denon lineup or even better, to the PFE 122 or Beyer DT770's.

I would want my new cans to have a good detailed treble, I really hate headsets without good detail there (almost makes me want to cry). And I would want them to have bass and bass extension. I am not a bass head anymore, I just still like to have my bass at normal levels, and that is what is missing on my PFE 122, there could be a litlle bit more bass and some more low end bass.

I hope this is not too much to ask for, so I hope that all you out there with some knowledge and experience could help me here! My budget can stretch to around the price of D5000 and HD 650's. maybe more if that set of cans would be the obvious choice.

Thanks!

Edit:
With help from all the inputs I bought the D2000's.

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 67
Further info:
The DT770 does not pull me into the music, it is not a set of cans that I would enjoy listening to female singning is, well at least not when the voice is like Avril Lavigne (yes, I listen to it. I admit it!). She have some nice live sessions with a nice backing group, just so engaging and enjoyable. But not on the DT770. It is not a joy hearing it, it is on my PFE 122, and with those I get pulled into the music.

Mar 15, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 67
A pair of used HD 600s will beat all of those except the HD 650.  I A-Bed them all except the HD 598.  HD 650 is nearly identical to the HD 600.  It just has slightly louder bass and quieter treble.

Only get those denons if you NEED closed headphones.  There is a performance tradeoff.

You probably didn't enjoy female vocals on the DT770 due to its distant yet shallow soundstage and treble spike around 8-9kHz common among Beyerdynamics that makes female voices and the letter 's' hiss more than natural.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 67

Quote:
A pair of used HD 600s will beat all of those except the HD 650.  I A-Bed them all except the HD 598.  HD 650 is nearly identical to the HD 600.  It just has slightly louder bass and quieter treble.

Only get those denons if you NEED closed headphones.  There is a performance tradeoff.

You probably didn't enjoy female vocals on the DT770 due to its distant yet shallow soundstage and treble spike around 8-9kHz common among Beyerdynamics that makes female voices and the letter 's' hiss more than natural.

So the HD 650 have less treble? I am guessing that the treble that there is there would be more detailed?
So D5k vs HD6xx the HD would win in pure technicallity, and the level of detail it has?

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 67
I'm not sure I'd rule the D5K out. It's a matter of preference. The Denon offers a bit more sub-bass and a bit more treble over the HD650. I suppose you could look at that as meaning they have bit of recession in the mids, but the vocals are still clear.

I previously owned the HD600 and HD598 but it was a while back now so I can't really remember how they sounded.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 67
HD 650 treble is very detailed. It is just not "in your face" and "screaming". These headphones can reveal to the listener even "leafs falling from distant trees". It is just not as bright as other cans can be. Relaxed and laid back sound. They can be very energetic when properly amped though.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 67
Heya,

It's pure preference.

I prefer the D5K over the HD650. Why? The D5K hands down has better bass, and I enjoy a sparkle in the treble. The HD650 to me was boring as heck, sounded like someone muffled the treble out, and the bass was mostly mid-bass, it just can't do the sub-bass of the Denon and I'm an absolute stickler for sub-bass capability. Both are comfortable. Both have good sound stages. Both are incredibly detailed. The Denon for me had the better range and was more fun to listen to. So again, it's all preference.

Very best,

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 67
The HD650 has very good, extended treble, and it's not one bit veiled.  It's also sparkly when need-be as well.  However it just can't produce the sub-bass of the Denons.  In fact, usually the HD650s are overall the brighter headphones.  Both headphones have the same amount of detail, but the HD650s have a airy sound while the Denons have a cavernous sound at times.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #10 of 67

Quote:
The HD650 has very good, extended treble, and it's not one bit veiled.  It's also sparkly when need-be as well.  However it just can't produce the sub-bass of the Denons.  In fact, usually the HD650s are overall the brighter headphones.  Both headphones have the same amount of detail, but the HD650s have a airy sound while the Denons have a cavernous sound at times.

"usually the HD650s are overall the brighter headphones."

wuhhh?

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #11 of 67
hd600+ cardas has a very good high freq extention and details, but imo, it is too cold for me. Overall, hd600+ cardas can easily beat dt770. I also own a pair of HD650+ zu mobius, which has a warmer sound signature compared with hd600+cardas, better seperation and better bass. However, Hd650+ZU's high freq is not as good as either dt770 and hd600. Hopefully this will help 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 67
The closed back on the Denons reflects sound and will produce a muffling / echoey effect characteristic of closed headphones which may make them sound less bright.

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #14 of 67
If you're torn between a purchase like an HD650 vs any of Denon X000 series, you're torn at very fundamental level. lol. You haven't figured out what kind of sound signature you like yet and you should probably do this. It's like saying you're at a Starbucks and are deciding between specifically a mocha or a cup of earl grey when you don't know whether you like coffee or tea more in the first place.

Forget the quality of the music you're testing with. Think about the genre of music you're testing with. Is it music with big soundstage? Neither Denon or HD650 have big soundstage so neither are good for classical or jazz. Does your music have peaky compressed treble like Jpop and electronica? A phone with an airier less textured presentation like the Denon will accommodate this. A dark and textured phone with smoothed over treble like the HD650 distance you from this maybe giving you the impression of that infamous term: "veiled". The HD650 is better for mid range and mid bass centric music. Usually vocal heavy music with instruments like drums, pianos, guitars and basses. Its not the best candidate for instruments like trumpets because top end treble will be rolled off removing the bit that gives these instruments a crisp, distinct sound.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 67
I would have to go with MalVeaux and atomiccow here...

It IS all about preference. Every one enjoys music differently and in the
end your ears will decide which one will you your favorite.
Personally, I LOOOVE the D5000s! I can play every genre without the fear of
trying to reach a different headset in order to enjoy a specific genre. I find the highs pretty
good and "sparkly" (as some would say). Not as detailed or emphazised as the Shure 940s
but pretty good nonetheless.

I do like my HD600s but use it with more Jazzy tunes (even though it does play everything quite good too!)

The DT770s are weird to me... sometimes they sound a bit "muffled", sometimes the highs sound
piercing, other times they sound just about right! lol (maybe it is my ears!!) BUT the Bass is thunderous!!!!

Between these 3,

isolation and sound leakage: DT770s > Denon D5000 > HD600
Sound Qual: D5000s > HD600 > DT770s
Price/Performance: HD600 > D5000s > DT770s

Of course, this is based on personal preferrence and my opinion.
If there's a way you could try them, more power to you!!!

If you can find the D5000s for $400 or less, bite quickly! :wink:

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back