I am looking for a worthy successor to Denon AH-D2000
Apr 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Cohiba

New Head-Fier
I listen to most of my music at work and thus need closed headphones. My rig there is little Dot DAC_1 -> little Dot MkIII -> Denon AH-D2000. The amp is soon to be replaced with WA6.

At home I listen to nuforce DAC -> little Dot MkV -> Sennheiser HD600 or Grado SR225i.

I really love the sound of the HD600s. It is neutral, spacious, smooth and laidback. When I find this "boring", I listen to the Grados for variation. I appreciate the forward sound too. However, I mostly listen to progressive metal, progressive rock and symphonic metal. The Denons sound good with most of my albums, while the Grados and Sennheisers sound tremendous with some albums and bad with others.

I borrowed HD650 and found them to be more forgiving on mediocre recordings than the HD600 due to their darker and more bassy sound. So for open back headphones, I will probably end up buying the HD650s.

When I have listened to recordings that fare well with my open headphones, I feel the need to give them a round of applause. It is really a great experience. However, when I listen to the Denons, the sound is more "flat", less dynamic, each album sounds more alike and uninteresting.

So what I need help for is finding an excellent closed back alternative. I tried Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm for a couple of minutes and they sounded fun. It also sounded as if someone had pushed the loudness button. DT770 emphasized bass and treble, and I could not hear anything like the mids I love with my Sennheisers. I wonder if the 600 ohm version might be a good alternative for me?

What other alternatives are there out there that will combine a warm, slightly forgiving sound with natural, smooth mids and highs that are not too recessed?

Apr 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #3 of 24
I think I should move away from the Denons. They are good, but not engaging enough. I do not believe modding them will give me what I am looking for. I want to try a new sound signature.

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #6 of 24
Based on the OP's comments:

"So what I need help for is finding an excellent closed back alternative. I tried Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 ohm for a couple of minutes and they sounded fun. It also sounded as if someone had pushed the loudness button. DT770 emphasized bass and treble, and I could not hear anything like the mids I love with my Sennheisers. I wonder if the 600 ohm version might be a good alternative for me?"

or

"I really love the sound of the HD600s. It is neutral, spacious, smooth and laidback. When I find this "boring", I listen to the Grados for variation."

How would the K70x fill this requirement?

I personally would go with the 600ohm DT770s. Ideally, if you want to blow your budget, I would look into the Denon D7000s
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try AKG K701.

no way would a k701 sound good with metal! For most kinds of rock music the phones need to be very engaging. The k701 is so spacious in sound stage that it actually loses the ability to become upfront. Then there is the issue of having very minimal bass.

Your asking for a lot though, and I don't think it can be accomplished with ease. You want a headphone that will better the d2000, sr225i and hd650? I can only think of top tier phones that will do that and even then it would not totally combine the strengths of all the mentioned phones.

Apparently Darth Beyers, especially the deep cup versions are very good with rock/metal though. And yes 600ohm drivers will significantly balance the sound, mids will come forward ect.

Apr 11, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 24
a closed phone with an engaging, fast response for metal, etc? that would have to be an audio technica, right?
wink.gif

so what's your budget?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 24
I have the D7000's. They may be closer to what you are looking for. They would not be a work headphone for me, though. Just to danged pricey for the workplace. I have also had the AT ESW10's. I feel the same way about those for the workplace, but the signature sounds like what you are looking for. I am considering the ESW9 for the office.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 24
cohiba, it is strange you said that the denon sound "flat" to you, didn't hear the D2000 though..but the 5000 is not even close to being "flat" in any way. the senns are much more flat in that regard...or I misunderstood what you meant by flat..?

you can go for the RS1 as a big improvement from the 225 if you are up for the grado sound,make them your dedicated metal cans, they will give you the extreme grado signature. if you are looking for a more neutral/balanced aproache you can opt for one of the high-end headphones like HD800, T1.

Apr 11, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 24
I know what he means by "flat". All mediocre top 40 recordings come up well with the Denons - whereas his other phones will highlight flaws and make them not as pleasurable. Then with excellent recordings - the other phones will high light how well they are recorded - the Denons unable to - making them less pleasurable than others for perfected recordings. The sound is "homogenised" throghout the Denon experience leading to "flat". The dynamics is in the bass - what about midrange dynamics - to overcome this you crank the Denons up - and they balance out at high volumes (bloody brilliant for youthful exuberance) - what about moderate volumes? Thats my ramblings with my newly acquired D7000.

I think AKG701's or AT's - everything else may be too similar to what he already has. I am also considering the J$ Pads as a possible solution to the D7000 dilemma.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks for all the replies!

Valiente: I am looking for a pair of closed headphones for an office environment, so the K701 are not an option.

Acix: The RS1s are open headphones. I hope I get to try them at home at some point, though.

MacedoianHero: From what I have read in this forum, the 600 ohm version might be just what I am looking for if the sound is more balanced and the midrange more present than on DT770 Pro 80 ohm. I am curious about the D7000, but I fear they might have a similar midrange to the D2000.

T.R.A.N.C.E: I have also come to understand that the K701s are not suited to rock due to a too airy sound and a lean bottom end. They are not relevant anyway, as I am looking for a closed back design.
My new phones at work do not have to be better than the SR225s or HD600s. But they need to give me more in return for good recordings at low and medium volume levels. I think the midrange and sound stages of HD600/650 are beautiful even at low volumes. I would like to get some of that (combined with a decent low end) with closed headphones.

TheWuss: I have been curious about Audiotechnica, especially the W1000 and W5000. Apparently their bass appears to be somewhat lacking in quantity. But you might be thinking of other models?
I do not really have a budget. However, I plan on buying the HD650s for listening to the albums I find too lean with the HD600s. That does not leave much money for anything else but the DT770 in the near future. If someone comes up with some genius pair of headphones, I will just save up money for however long it takes.

aameford: If the D7000s have more forward mids and respond better to quality recordings, I might go for them. But, yes, they are expensive and I think I am ready for a sound signature different from the Denon D-series.
ESW10s are new to me. They look fabulous! How would you describe the sound?

SP Wild: Thanks, that description is spot on. I agree that the sound opens up and the midrange becomes more dynamic when the volume is turned up. However, I always listen at low to moderate levels to protect my hearing and not be totally isolated from my colleges at work. HD600/HD650 and SR225i sound good even at low levels.
Actually, I always bring one of my open cans for the days I will work overtime, so that I can truly enjoy the music when everyone else is gone at work. I would really like to get some of that enjoyment during the day too. And this is where I think the "loudness effect" of the DT770 might come in handy. It sure is not boring to listen to their punchy sound, but I have not tried them out with different kinds of recordings. Furthermore, I suspect the AT ESW10 will be much more refined from what I have read.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cohiba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aameford: If the D7000s have more forward mids and respond better to quality recordings, I might go for them. But, yes, they are expensive and I think I am ready for a sound signature different from the Denon D-series.
ESW10s are new to me. They look fabulous! How would you describe the sound?

A nice, firm, present bass, but clean, controlled and well detailed. NOT the prominent feature of the headphones, as it is with the Denons.

A warm forward midrange. Very lush, very inviting.

Sparkly highs that are not brittle and bright, but to me where just right.

A slightly narrow sound stage - much narrower than my Senn 580's which I had at the same time, on par with my Ultrasone 780's I also had at the same time, narrower than the D5000 or D7000, from memory.

They are supra-aural, so they do sit on rather than around your ears.

You may be wondering why I sold them, after all this gushing about them. I wonder sometimes as well!

I had the chance to hear them again at the norcal meet in February. Justin had a pair to try with his Pico Slim. They really are good, and they are super easy to drive, and respond really well to a quality portable amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/esw...i-780s-420797/

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

MacedoianHero: From what I have read in this forum, the 600 ohm version might be just what I am looking for if the sound is more balanced and the midrange more present than on DT770 Pro 80 ohm. I am curious about the D7000, but I fear they might have a similar midrange to the D2000.

The DT990 is also an excellent, bassy headphone. My experience with them is limited to a few minutes, unfortunately.

Quote:

TheWuss: I have been curious about Audiotechnica, especially the W1000 and W5000. Apparently their bass appears to be somewhat lacking in quantity. But you might be thinking of other models?

Apparently the W1000X is the bassy big AT and has recently received good reviews. Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for this from personal experience.

Quote:

Furthermore, I suspect the AT ESW10 will be much more refined from what I have read.

Something I can talk about with confidence. The thing is they're really fun cans with nice bass impact, directionality and instrument separation. Others can describe them with considerably more detail, but basically they're not overwhelming warm or bright and quite versatile cans. The thing is, because they are portable cans, their horizontal soundstage will be much more limited than a cirumaural, though bigger than an IEM. Comfort might also be a problem, but despite all that, they're amazing cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back