I am looking for a used car
Jun 24, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided on a 2001 VW GTI GLS w/warranty (so I don't have to worry about the turbo). So far, I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Probably a good choice for you, fitting your requirements and tastes pretty closely. How many miles are on it?

Jun 24, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #50 of 52
Those are neat cars. I know quite a few friends who have them and they seem reasonably reliable and they're fun to ride in.

My plug would have been for a Honda Civic, of course. When I was in an accident and the '97 was totaled, we went right out and got a '98, same color even. Great car. We paid $3700. Really reliable. Near-hybrid gas mileage, really fun to drive, great handling, manual transmission. Great car. Our last one made it to $200k miles before needing a new clutch. The last owner was hard on this one and it'll only make it to $150k. Oh well.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #51 of 52
How come nobody's recommended a Subaru? OK its an AWD, has a bigger and mightier engine than other cars in its price range. Hence the gas mileage is lower than a Civic or a Corolla (I get 32 on highway and about 27 in the city with my base 08 Impreza) but I guess you'll be grateful for it during the 5 months of winter in Chicago. But with AWD comes lower insurance costs and it holds its resale value better than Honda or a Toyota. It is just as reliable as a Honda or a Toyota. Not to mention, extremely fun to drive, handles great and zips around. And no I am not talking only about about the high performance Impreza WRX versions. They are rather ugly though with their anachronistic styling.

And you can usually browbeat the dealers into selling them for the price you want it at (Check Edmunds.com for resale values according to year and mileage) since they aren't the hottest sellers in US market.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by slinger1182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come nobody's recommended a Subaru? OK its an AWD, has a bigger and mightier engine than other cars in its price range. Hence the gas mileage is lower than a Civic or a Corolla (I get 32 on highway and about 27 in the city with my base 08 Impreza) but I guess you'll be grateful for it during the 5 months of winter in Chicago. But with AWD comes lower insurance costs and it holds its resale value better than Honda or a Toyota. It is just as reliable as a Honda or a Toyota. Not to mention, extremely fun to drive, handles great and zips around. And no I am not talking only about about the high performance Impreza WRX versions. They are rather ugly though with their anachronistic styling.

And you can usually browbeat the dealers into selling them for the price you want it at (Check Edmunds.com for resale values according to year and mileage) since they aren't the hottest sellers in US market.

Biggest problem with a used Subaru is simple--they are very difficult to find on the used market! I agree, they make some great cars. But finding a reasonably low mileage Subaru Impreza or Outback for a good price is difficult. Maybe things have changed recently, but a couple years ago, I spent nearly 6 months looking for a deal on one, to no avail.

Everyone is recommending Edmunds for a reason, it is a great resource.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back