I am looking for a used car
Jun 18, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
stock Preludes run on reg... Less you got high compression or a Super or a Turbo you dont need Premium.

Preludes are cool cars just a few things to remember about them. Waterpumps make sure it has been replaced they like to go out if not replaced on timed intervals. Also it is a Interference engine so MAKE SURE TO CHANGE THE TIMING BELT ON TIME. If the previous owners have not kept up with records of a waterpump change and timing belt change after 90k miles. Find another car. Preludes and Integra's will also have the fast and furious tax on them. Both cars are very very fun to drive and should last forever given proper care of them.

I found a Prelude and the owner says that he replaced the timing belt, water pump, and battery at 180K miles, and the car is at 198K now. He claims to have most of the maintenance records. It looks to be in good condition and is at a $4500 asking price (which, according to Edmunds, is a bit high). What do you think about the car?

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a Prelude and the owner says that he replaced the timing belt, water pump, and battery at 180K miles, and the car is at 198K now.

200K is about 16 years worth of mileage (~12K/year average). That alone would steer me away from the car. The parts he has mentioned replacing are the cheap and easy ones. The big ones come next...

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #33 of 52
go buy a used honda or something, they have little four bangers in em' and they get great gas mileage, plus they're usually standards. they hold up well too.

you always take a chance used sadly.

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

I found a Prelude and the owner says that he replaced the timing belt, water pump, and battery at 180K miles, and the car is at 198K now. He claims to have most of the maintenance records. It looks to be in good condition and is at a $4500 asking price (which, according to Edmunds, is a bit high). What do you think about the car?

200k id sway clear when we rebuilt a prelude motor after 200+k miles they need their rings replaced... Timing belt and water pump job is a 700-1200 dollar job but the milage alone makes me worry about those rings and bearings for a high comp high reving motor.

Jun 18, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #35 of 52
How long would you plan on keeping the car?

I've had lots of friends over the years who had cars that I thought were beaters and the cars lasted a lot longer than I ever thought they would. With a car this age don't fall in love with it - when it starts to give you trouble dump it and buy something else.

I always recommend a thorough inspection by a mechanic first before you buy.

Jun 18, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Thanks for the link. My old van was RWD and it was terrible in the snow. Really terrible. But yeah, RWD is fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

My dad told me never to buy a leased car because the previous drivers probably drove them like crap because they knew they would get a new one in a couple years anyway. What do you think?

I have a leased car and to be honest, I somewhat take care of it but not as much as if I knew it were mine for a longer period of time. Please do not get into ethics and morals.

Basically when I dont care about gas mileage I drive it like I stole it, so what your dad said is true in some cases. That is just me because I am also younger and therefore (I admit it) in some cases, less responsible than adults. Anyways, I get 15 mpg when I drive normal :/

Yeah AWD hurts gas mileage, I was under the impression that most cars are not AWD 100% of the time, it only kicks in when needed.

Jun 18, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by majikstreet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of leasers take better care of their cars because when you turn them in you pay for extra miles, every ding, every scratch, etc.

Yeah but I think he is talking about the engine. I keep mine looking good on the outside but as far as the engine goes, I drive it like I stole it, high engine revs, and redlining. None of that adds a ding, scratch or extra mileage but it adds the wear and tear you need to look out for when buying a used car, that is the whole point of what the OP was saying.

Jun 19, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Found a 1997 Prelude Type SH for $5800. 142K miles, one owner, kept up with maintenance. What do you think?

kbb.com

nada.com

matters on where you live as to price points. Your in ze windy city area with lots of snow and harsh winters so you gotta check for Rust that can change price points. Gas type, road conditions as to how well the shocks and springs are so on and so forth. Again kbb.com and nada.com take your zip into consideration when figuring out price. also Craigslist check what other cars in the area in the same year/milage are going for.

Jun 19, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #41 of 52
I bought a new Civic in '98 and I thought long and hard about paying the extra $12,000 they wanted for the new Prelude and in the end I just couldn't justify the extra money. But I do have a soft spot for the Prelude still.

In terms of practicality a newer econobox is probably a better way to fly but if you can afford to buy cool cars the memories last forever.

A couple of points: the SH handling may not be to your taste - you should definitely take around some corners to see how you like it and for winter driving the cars sits pretty low and won't be able to go through much in the way of snowdrifts. Winter tires should be something you should seriously consider for whatever car you decide to buy.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Very good point, frozenice.

I found an 03 Civic EX coupe with 60K miles on it for $8000. I'll probably take it. What do you think?

Make sure the owner took it in for the 60k maintenance. If not call a honda shop ask them the price of a 60k check up and take that off their price.

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #44 of 52
My Civic was very reliable - I put 140,000 km (90,000 miles) and sold it to my sister and she has put on probably another 50,000 miles since then trouble free. The people I know who have owned them have been very happy with them.

As far as the price goes I sold it for more than Consumer Reports wanted but her mechanic looked it over and told her that he knew two people that wanted to buy it if she didn't want it. Cars in Canada tend to be a little more expensive than they are in the States so it is hard for me to comment on price - as an example the Preludes you were looking at were going for $14,000 to $18,000 two or three years ago in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back