I am DONE with FOSTEX TH900 pads...
May 15, 2020 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

katulu

100+ Head-Fier
Just took out my stock TH900 and surprise surprise - earpads are disintegrating AGAIN! I'm sick of this, I admit I love the protein pads but this is ridiculous, I don't use my TH900 (I have 2, one stock and one modded) all that much, and every few months I take one out for a listen, and boom - time to buy new pads AGAIN. I just got myself replacement sheepskin pads from Dekoni - as I suspected, the inside diameter is a little smaller than stock, which is bad for my long ears, but on the other hand, the bass is still there (which was my main concern), I also feel vocals came up a little too. Feel is nice and comfortable, maybe a little tighter than stock which is good. So, happy with my purchase, DONE with the crappy protein pads. end rant I guess, just leaving the recommendation if anyone's on the fence.

May 15, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 5
Just took out my stock TH900 and surprise surprise - earpads are disintegrating AGAIN! I'm sick of this, I admit I love the protein pads but this is ridiculous, I don't use my TH900 (I have 2, one stock and one modded) all that much, and every few months I take one out for a listen, and boom - time to buy new pads AGAIN. I just got myself replacement sheepskin pads from Dekoni - as I suspected, the inside diameter is a little smaller than stock, which is bad for my long ears, but on the other hand, the bass is still there (which was my main concern), I also feel vocals came up a little too. Feel is nice and comfortable, maybe a little tighter than stock which is good. So, happy with my purchase, DONE with the crappy protein pads. end rant I guess, just leaving the recommendation if anyone's on the fence.
That sounds extremely annoying to go through, but I have to be honest and say that I have never heard of anyone else experiencing this degradation of pads as severely as you. There must be something specific to you that is contributing to this. Perhaps your perspiration is very acidic? I know somebody who adores the TH900 and has I believe 6 sets and he uses them frequently and I have never heard him, or anybody actually talking about a problem with the pads this extreme. It does seem that you should not be using protein leather pads. Good luck with finding a solution to this.

May 15, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 5
That sounds extremely annoying to go through, but I have to be honest and say that I have never heard of anyone else experiencing this degradation of pads as severely as you. There must be something specific to you that is contributing to this. Perhaps your perspiration is very acidic? I know somebody who adores the TH900 and has I believe 6 sets and he uses them frequently and I have never heard him, or anybody actually talking about a problem with the pads this extreme. It does seem that you should not be using protein leather pads. Good luck with finding a solution to this.
Thanks for the response, guess to be fair I don't use these for months *and* months - at least 9 months since I last used them - but still! None of my other headphones have degraded like this, and I use them a LOT more. Hard for me to think acid perspiration is the problem when my everyday Bose, which I use for exercise daily and have had for a couple years, are like new (I replaced the Bose pads with Dekoni pads too - the original pads did degrade as well, but I use these constantly). I'm talking I get these TH900s out of the box for maybe a week or two of air-conditioned music listening. No, this protein pad is garbage, I'm sticking to the Dekonis from now on.

May 16, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 5
I use them outdoors , 2.5 hrs sweating. Usually lasts 2 years.

May 31, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Fake leather is plastic. Why does anybody expect this to be a good pad material?

It's hygienic, it's cheap, it feels like crap. Because it is.

Cows and sheep- they're not just for eating any more :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back