I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Aug 25, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 31
Try listening FLAC with them, maybe you'll notice some difference. 

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #17 of 31
Maybe its your music. You are probably listening to low bitrate, poorly mastered recordings or badly recorded songs. Listen to CDs and FLACs rather than mp3s and you will hear a significant difference.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 31

Quote:
Maybe its your music. You are probably listening to low bitrate, poorly mastered recordings or badly recorded songs. 

Yeah, thats what i think. 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #19 of 31

Quote:
Use them for a week, then try your Coby's again.

agreed. 

I had a similar post here after moving up from my creative earbuds to something a bit more expensive.  I was convinced they were the same.  After a week of the new headphones (I do not want to endorse their product), I started to fully understand why they were better and what I was missing.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #21 of 31

Quote:
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s

1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty

2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.

3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.

4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.

That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.

Player1josh46
dt880smile.png

1. Yes. While I'm still on the fence about the true effects of what is considered "burn in", I do think that giving yourself the 100hrs or so to let yourself get used to the sound will help greatly. When I first got my M50, they pretty much sounded like garbage to me right out of the box.

2. Absolutely.

3. This. A million times this. I really hope OP isn't using his laptop audio ports or something crappy like that...

4. Yes. Even, light, portable amplification should be enough for the M50.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #22 of 31
Maybe they just aren't for you. I didn't like their bass response (felt it was too boomy) and sold them at the first chance I could. It's not too late to take advantage of the 30 day money back.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #23 of 31

Quote:

agreed. 

I had a similar post here after moving up from my creative earbuds to something a bit more expensive.  I was convinced they were the same.  After a week of the new headphones (I do not want to endorse their product), I started to fully understand why they were better and what I was missing.

From my experience people seem to notice a downgrade in quality more often than a upgrade in quality.

Oct 15, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #26 of 31
I maintain that the M50s are overpriced at over $100. At $80-$90 they are a great deal, but above that things become too competitive. Either way, give it some time, and switch back to the other headphones and you'll see a difference. Furthermore, never go below 192 kbps. Also some genres just sound like crap on good headphones because of how terrible the recording is. A lot of indy metal bands sound garbage.

If you like bass and want something that did knock my socks off in comparison to the M50s, look into the Fischer Audio FA-011s. I haven't heard a better bass heavy headphones at under $350. The Pro 900s are only really good for dubstep, the Denon D2000s are a close match, but are more expensive and the mid range sounds fuller, and smoother on the FA-011s. These will need an amp, though. Unamped, the D2000s win hands down, but you can still get a decent amp for what you'd pay for a D2000. Also, remember that the D2000s don't isolate much better than the FA-011s, even though they are closed as opposed to open backed.

Oct 15, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #27 of 31
being a novice here, my opinion is just what I feel. I haven't listened to very many high end audio headphones. comparing what I have and what I have tested in stores, I do feel that the audio technica m50's are a great product. within 24 hours of burning them in a little, I noticed a difference with everything. even comfort improved. My personal opinion is that the price is justified for the product in what you get. I'm just so happy with them in comparison to sennheiser pxc series. there was absolutely no comparison to the sennheiser headphones.

Until I get more headphones, amps/DAC, or even start to mod...who knows how I will feel about the m50's down the line.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #29 of 31
I remember not being very impressed when I first heard my new M50's. I mean, it was definitely an upgrade but not what I expected from what I paid. However, I just used them for a couple days and definitely noticed a burn-in effect. They are definitely worth it in my opinion, and what I noticed was that any song I had that is in lower quality (like 128kbps), I just cannot bear to listen to, so I end up re-adding it to my iPod in higher quality (256+), and there is a HUGE difference. I am definitely pleased with my M50's, and they were my stepping stone into the audiophile world (though I don't have the funds to further my steps at the moment).

TL;DR: Thought they were bad at first, but burn-in helped a lot. Also, bad quality music will sound WORSE with these (or any good pair of cans I assume). I really enjoy them now! (I've had them for eight months so far)

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #30 of 31
At first it was underwhelming for me as well...I think my Cowon S9 did not help it either...(I really need to use it's EQ to perform how it should)
After I've found the best settings for my liking on the S9 and listen to mostly 320 kbps mp3-s and FLAC files, I have to say it still impresses me after this (almost) 2 years...
BUT, this is my very first headphones and I don't have much experience with other phones...I think that's pretty important to know!

I can tell, that the highs are a bit metallic, their bass is pretty strong, but they lack soundstage and I feel their mids to be a bit recessed... I'd prefer more forward vocals, a crisper sound overall.. Without EQ, with my S9 they just sound dull for me...
But again, after I EQ them, I don't really wish for better cans (though they have faults)...only because I know there are (much) better phones out there..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back