I am dissapointed with my ATH-M50's
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Firejack

New Head-Fier
I just got these in the mail, and I decided to try them on.  I purchased them for $109, which is a really good deal, but I am somewhat dissapointed. I don't see much of a difference in these and my previous crap Coby headphones which came packaged with earbuds and only cost $20.  Besides a slight increase in bass, it doesn't seem to have much of an effect.  I've heard you guys constantly rave about these headphones, but I don't see why.  Am I listening to it wrong?  What EQ setting should I use to get the maximum effect out of these? Because I'm hoping that it substantially improves.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 31
than something is wrong...either the headphones or your hearing
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
Use them for a week, then try your Coby's again.

This.... just give it a chance for a week.... im sure it'll sound way better than your Coby after that

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #10 of 31
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

But, are there any headphones that would have that instant "...wow..." effect when you put them on somebody out of the blue? I was thinking of buying the HFI-580's, but I have no idea as to if they'd have that specific effect.

Heya,

Depends what they're listening for. If you listen to some really low quality mono recordings and then listen to a high resolution lossless track on a flagship, sure, it's going to be night and day and give you a wow factor. But most people have decent quality music recordings these days and a lot of people listen on iBuds and are completely satisfied. The moment someone learns the price tag of a real headphone, they either turn green, or they laugh and think you wasted money and they're too cool for that jank.

I pretty much got wide eye'd from bass slam on the XB500 and PRO900. If that counts. Like:

Very best,

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 31
the M50 sure WOWED me...especially with their earth shaking deep bass notes (this babies get super low) and their punch.  also the rest of the spectrum is nicely linear.  at first when i got them i used to compare them to the denon AHD5000 i also own.  they are pretty **** close if you ask me!
anyway...try to use them with a decent source and good quality music files.   hi fi is not only the headphone you know...

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 31
Things You Need to Really Enjoy the M50s

1. Burn in, Burn in, Burn in! About 100 hrs is plenty

2. Good Quality Tracks. I mean anything under 256kbps will sound mediocre with these on. Even with that FLAC or CD rips will sound even better.

3. A Good Source. Ipods are okay but I hear that there are other mp3 devices that make the SQ better.

4. If you want but isn't required an amp. Though people here say that it only improves it slightly.

That's my advice. Spend some time with it. If it still doesn't work for you, return it and buy a different one.

Player1josh46
dt880smile.png

Aug 24, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 31
I've had the same reaction when I got my DT880s
Give them a week and you will learn to appreciate its strengths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back