I am content. . .am i missing something?
Mar 4, 2007 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have, what i think, is a very nice laptop set up.

iTunes (MacBook) ==> Total BitHead (low gain on) ==> alo mini to mini ==> Practical Devices XM3 ==> alo headphone extention ==> shure e500

or

iTunes (MacBook) ==> Total BitHead (low gain on) ==> alo mini to mini ==> Stax SRM001/MKII system

my problem is that I am running everything in 192kbs ACC files(with vbr). . and i don't mind the way they sound, i actually think they sound fantastic.

I want to re-rip all of my cds into some kind of lossless codec (aiff/flac/?), but I still want to use the native iPod software, my big worry is SPACE

I currently have 9 gigs worth of HD space, and not much money to buy a portable hard drive.

Should i just buy a portable cd player? or should i just use my laptop cd player as a transport and keep using iTunes?

thanks head-fi

-mk

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 17
Dude, if you are content you shouldn't be concerned about missing something or not
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Save up for an external hard drive. Everyone should have one for a backup.

I couldn't agree with you more! A friend of mine just lost all his music whilst upgrading to Windows Vista, he had no backups; I can recommend that!

But for now, using the laptop cd-r will do nicely and probably sounds great as well; right?

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 17
If you're content, you're content. It isn't a bad idea to make lossless backups of your music. It would be only a waste of disk space, though, if you were to start playing lossless files if they aren't meaningfully superior to your current setup. My advice: before you do anything, rip a few albums losslessly and compare their sound to their 192kbps counterparts. If the difference isn't troublesome--many don't notice any difference--then stay with 192kbps and put your money into more music.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, 128kbps works just fine for non-critical listening. If you do find you want to listen to lossless rips, well... my best almost-no-budget suggestion is to rip losslessly, burn data to discs, and treat your have disk like a big CD changer from which you remove and to which you add whatever you want ...and sorry about your wallet.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Awk.Pine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're content, you're content. It isn't a bad idea to make lossless backups of your music. It would be only a waste of disk space, though, if you were to start playing lossless files if they aren't meaningfully superior to your current setup. My advice: before you do anything, rip a few albums losslessly and compare their sound to their 192kbps counterparts. If the difference isn't troublesome--many don't notice any difference--then stay with 192kbps and put your money into more music.
smily_headphones1.gif
For me, 128kbps works just fine for non-critical listening. If you do find you want to listen to lossless rips, well... my best almost-no-budget suggestion is to rip losslessly, burn data to discs, and treat your have disk like a big CD changer from which you remove and to which you add whatever you want ...and sorry about your wallet.

i had a few cds ripped in AIFF/Losseless and the difference was almost night and day.

my only problem is not being able to afford a portable hard drive to store 3800+ lossless files =/

my wallet does not think your very funny, me and my wallet are currently not speaking to eachother

how much space do you head-fiers think 3800 lossless files would take up?

thanks

-mk

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 17
Well, let's say an average CD is 10 songs, and it takes about 300 MB compressed to FLAC. Let's be conservative and say 400 MB. 380 CDs * 400 MB = under 160 GB. A 320 GB HDD nowadays costs about $100, plus $40 for a very nice external enclosure. 380 CDs, even if you buy them used or on sale, will run you well over $1000, probably about $1500, and you'll only fill half of the HDD. See what I'm getting at?
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #14 of 17
Time to get some new music to play to accompany your contentment!

See ya
Steve

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #15 of 17
I wish I was content with my rig, you are lucky. Go buy an external HDD, they like $130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back