I am beyond confused right now, lots of questions and concerns
Jun 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, i have no idea if my pcs onboard sound card has 5.1 surround sound or not.  Its a realtek high definition 6 channel.  I cant find any info on it if it really is 5.1 compatible or not.  My desktop model is an hp s3600f

I bought the Ad700 to be used with gaming.  I see external usb sound cards that out to 5.1.  do they really OUT to 5.1? something like the turtle beach micro II, or is something like the astro mixamp needed to actually get the 5.1 to the headphones.

the problem is that they all are optical cable out, and not standard mini which the ad700 is. So there is nothing for the ad700 to plug into.  Would a toslink optical to standard mini 3.5mm adapter work, or would that ruin the sound

Which course is the right one to take

external usb sound card that converts stereo to 5.1 with an optical toslink female end > toslink optical cable >  astro gaming mixamp > ad700

or

external usb 5.1 sound card > toslink to standard mini 3.5mm adapter > ad700 

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 8
TOSLINK is a bitstream.  You can't play it over speakers without a DAC and amp in between...

You're best off getting a soundcard like this one, that supports Dolby headphone virtualization.  Creative's implementation of the same idea is supposed to be a bit better, but the drivers for the Asus cards have the advantage of actually working most of the time.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 8
External then you should go for creative x-fi surround. But if it is same price as mixamp go for mixamp. There new creative announced so check about them. Well it seems creative virtual Tex is better than Dolby headphones.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 8
This one may work.  Who knows since it's creative though.

Jun 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 8
Edit: I was looking at the very same product on newegg.  I wasnt sure what to do, or if it did the same thing as the astro

I dont think standard 3.5mm will suffice and a TOSlink to standard adapter would be needed to plug the headphones in, right?

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #8 of 8
well i mention TOSLINK because of the astro amp and im told that they are of a higher quality.  If you can get a Toslink to standard cable for use from your sound card to your mp3 player, thats the best way to go.  

but, this card has better reviews 
http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Labs-Xmod-Sound-Card/product-reviews/B000IZ96LQ/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

seems like its more suited to my wants, thanks everyone. I still dont know if my pc has 5.1 lol, but i suppose it doesnt matter if i had this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back