HYLA Audio Nerva X & CE-05 Impression thread
Jan 24, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #182 of 215
Am I the only one who feels the even the AET07 L is still not large enough? I recently purchased AET07 M/L, AET08 M/L to pair with my CE-5. However, only the AET07 L can provide relatively good seal. All the others don't work for me. Even with AET07 L, I still feel the seal is not that good especially for my right ear (my right ear seems a bit weird as I hardly can get good seal with any sort of tips). Have to go back the the largest tips coming with CE-5, which can offer fairly good seal for me. Not sure if there is any other tips I could try with, which provides relatively large tips.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #183 of 215
I have just tested the 3 hylas.

The hyla ce 5 is still the better one.

The blue version has more agile bass but not as full as ce 5. The blue also has a more pushed back vocal.

The green version is even weirder. Female vocal sounds like vocaloid...

Both the blue and green still have very layered bass but the timbre of hyla ce 5 is still better.

Both hyla ce 5 and oriolus mk2 sounds completely different but similarly both is engaging and fun soundinng.

Oriolus can be overly engaging and make vocalist sounds like zombie. Hyla has a more pushed back vocal but still lack emotions.

I have also tested hyla ce 5 with a few cables.

Firstly i tested ce 5 with my thor ii silver psquare plug. Oh god everything got amplified and hyla became too engaging for my taste.

Then I tried pw no5 and everything became soft again. Pw no5 brings hyla details to live and improves the mid just to the right amount. Then I tried ares ii and wow the vocal is too forward for me. Eros ii is the worst so far and sounded like half ass thor.

Hyla ce 5 is actually not a bassy iem. It has very layered and well controlled bass.

There are alot of iem out there that has more bass.

Xelento has more transparent and clearer rumble at 60 Hz but the mid is extremely veiled.

64 n8 with thor ii and anole vx bass boost has more sub bass around 30hz region.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #184 of 215
Anyone here try the Hyla CE-5 with an 8-wire cable? I'm having an issue with the Ares II 8-wire making the IEM distort horribly. It does not do this with the Oriolus IEM I have for some reason.

I explained more HERE.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:48 AM Post #185 of 215
I will test this evening. Up to now i used the CE-5 with PW No.5 but have also an 8-wire Ares II to try.

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #186 of 215
I tested with my ares II and there is no problem at all. I think its synergy is better than No. 5
The mids are a little less honky and seperation is also a tad better.

Feb 3, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #187 of 215
I tested with my ares II and there is no problem at all. I think its synergy is better than No. 5
The mids are a little less honky and seperation is also a tad better.

I'm able to listen with the Ares II 8 wire through the DX200 AMP2 (w/ SE adapter), and I'm wondering if this is what the TE-5B or TE-5T sound like. It's a slightly more V-shaped CE-5, but I kind of like it. The increased soundstage and separation of the 8 wire never stops impressing me, but the pairing is not ideal for most music due to the thinner mids. Classical and the like sounds really grand though.

I've also ordered the Han Sound Audio - Zen 8 wire cable. I'm hoping the same soundstage expansion and separation of the Ares 8, but with a more fuller sound.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #188 of 215
I'm able to listen with the Ares II 8 wire through the DX200 AMP2 (w/ SE adapter), and I'm wondering if this is what the TE-5B or TE-5T sound like. It's a slightly more V-shaped CE-5, but I kind of like it. The increased soundstage and separation of the 8 wire never stops impressing me, but the pairing is not ideal for most music due to the thinner mids. Classical and the like sounds really grand though.

I've also ordered the Han Sound Audio - Zen 8 wire cable. I'm hoping the same soundstage expansion and separation of the Ares 8, but with a more fuller sound.

Personally i dont think sound stage and fuller vocals comes in pair.

I think an open sounding signature will always have pushed back and thinner mids.

Only intimate sounding signature will have fuller vocals.

Although an intimate sounding signature doesnt sounds wide but it can be very detail and has alot of depth and accurate positioning of instruments.

I have not tried plussound tri copper but i think the audio genetics qc24 is something special. It has that hifi sound signature. It is not an expensive cable.

I used to dislike intimate sound but having alot of depths makes you feel the music flows toward you rather than appearing side to side? If that makes any sense...

Anyways, slightly out off topic. Right now i am dieing to try the aaw canary....

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #189 of 215
Did anyone face fit problem with ce-5? I feel that it doesn't go into my ear canal deep enough. Therefore, it stays weird on my ear, a bit outside of it, doesn't fall but you know. I used symbio and stock tips. Any thoughts?

Feb 20, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #190 of 215
Did anyone face fit problem with ce-5? I feel that it doesn't go into my ear canal deep enough. Therefore, it stays weird on my ear, a bit outside of it, doesn't fall but you know. I used symbio and stock tips. Any thoughts?

Are your tips small enough? The nozzle is thin and long, so getting a deep insertion should not be an issue at all. I use small Acoustune tips.

IEMs like Oriolus or Andromeda would usually give issues due to how short and large the nozzle is.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #191 of 215
Are your tips small enough? The nozzle is thin and long, so getting a deep insertion should not be an issue at all. I use small Acoustune tips.

IEMs like Oriolus or Andromeda would usually give issues due to how short and large the nozzle is.
Smallest stock tips are the best but still there is a gap between antihelix and shell. When I push deeper, I feel the nozzle in my ear canal and it hurts, unfortunately.

Feb 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #192 of 215
Smallest stock tips are the best but still there is a gap between antihelix and shell. When I push deeper, I feel the nozzle in my ear canal and it hurts, unfortunately.

I don't understand. Are you saying the tips are too thin and that you can feel the nozzle through them?

Use different silicone tips. Stock is too thin and Symbio is too wide due to the foam, which also doesn't compress enough like normal foam tips. I've seen users preferring Symbio's without the foam.

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #193 of 215
Been listening to these with the Han Sound Audio Zen 8 wire. Using DX200 with AMP7 + adapter, since my AMP8 is in the shop. Not sure how much an adapter can influence the sound, but here are my initial impressions with this cable. Will update if AMP8 sounds different.

Edit: AMP8 is a better pairing.
----

If No.5 is warm and Ares is bright, then these would be in the middle. Literally, for every frequency.

The most noticeable aspect would be the forward vocals. It's not forward in the upper mids like the Ares, but peaks more towards the middle. The upper mids aren't as smooth as the No.5 though, so you get a fairly neutral vocal response rather than warm. It does have a slight odd tonality on certain songs, especially where vocals are already emphasized. I think it better suits songs (or IEM) that have more recessed vocals. The CE-5 is kind of mid forward, which the cable adds on to.

Treble follows the same route. Maybe a little brighter than neutral with silicones. I've had to switch to foams though, because the heavier 8-wire tugged my IEMs loose sometimes, so now they sound a little warmer than neutral. (The foams help hold it in place)

Bass is real nice. Not bloated like the No.5, but not thin like my Eos cable. It's fuller, but still just as tight. Bass sounds more linear now, with no preference over sub or mid-bass. I think this may be my favorite cable pairing in terms of bass.

Edit: I've been comparing with my 4-wire Eos cable (think of it as a cleaner/better Ares 4-wire). With the Eos, vocals sit further back, but are better defined due to more upper mids. This makes them pretty biased with female vocals though. Zen 8 gives equal balance to both male and female voices, though the stage presence is closer due to the more forward vocals...Actually, it's mixed, since the Zen 8 sound more airy.

It's hard deciding which to keep. The Eos keeps the U-shaped character of the CE-5, but the Zen 8 corrects it, making it sounds more balanced and full. It's like fun vs neutral.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #195 of 215
Noble Khan uses a piezoelectric driver, as do some chi-fi IEMs like the LZ A6.

However, I personally prefer the Hyla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back