Hybrid Maple/Black Limba cupped V7 Build Tour Impressions
Apr 23, 2017 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Makiah S

Sponsor: EarMen | HeadAmp
Member of the Trade: Bricasti Design
Formerly known as Mshenay

The Sound is very polite, delicate mids and amazing top end extension and a full bodied but well controlled bass! Big thanks @fleasbaby for extending me the invite here, the build is completely gorgeous as is the sound! 

I've only had them for a day, but I and @JoeDoe will updating with our impressions here shortly 

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 54

The Sound is very polite, delicate mids and amazing top end extension and a full bodied but well controlled bass! Big thanks @fleasbaby for extending me the invite here, the build is completely gorgeous as is the sound! 

I've only had them for a day, but I and @JoeDoe will updating with our impressions here shortly 

Glad you like the sound of them. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 54

Glad you like the sound of them. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Well I pair'd them up with my HM 601 and gained a beautiful weight to the mids I was missing with my HM 901! The 601 being a very warm Burr Brown dac, I figured it would do just that. I'm just mad I don't have a nice Hybrid Tube Amp, as that would have been PEEEEERRRRFECT for these! The extra control that you've added with the Maple Sleeve let's these take advantage of the real beauty is some of the warm NOS dacs and the warmth in a good set of tubes 

On the plus side, I always forget my HM901 has both the "HD" and "Vintage" options, vintage giving the line out the same warm quality of the HM 901, swapping into that cuts the top end and gives the mid range a little more emphasis, makes the entire sound sig of the HM 901 Darker, which pairs nicely with this headphone! 

I'm really liking pairing the Line out of the HM 601 into my PB2, I find it smooths out what can be a... rougher top end... but with that smoothness in the top end comes better mid body at the expense of speed... I'd imagine with a HM 801 this would b magical >.> 

Apr 25, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 54
I thought I was able to avoid the Grado lifestyle until I saw @fleasbaby 's work. I have three Grado-style headphones (Nhoord, Magnum V7, and KSC75 customs) and thought I was done, but after seeing posts like these, I was wrong... I love the beauty of them just sitting by my studio rack on a nice stand!

Apr 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 54

Well I pair'd them up with my HM 601 and gained a beautiful weight to the mids I was missing with my HM 901! The 601 being a very warm Burr Brown dac, I figured it would do just that. I'm just mad I don't have a nice Hybrid Tube Amp, as that would have been PEEEEERRRRFECT for these! The extra control that you've added with the Maple Sleeve let's these take advantage of the real beauty is some of the warm NOS dacs and the warmth in a good set of tubes 

On the plus side, I always forget my HM901 has both the "HD" and "Vintage" options, vintage giving the line out the same warm quality of the HM 901, swapping into that cuts the top end and gives the mid range a little more emphasis, makes the entire sound sig of the HM 901 Darker, which pairs nicely with this headphone! 

I'm really liking pairing the Line out of the HM 601 into my PB2, I find it smooths out what can be a... rougher top end... but with that smoothness in the top end comes better mid body at the expense of speed... I'd imagine with a HM 801 this would b magical >.> 

Good to hear! Glad you're enjoying them. Would be good to hear @JoeDoe's impressions.

I thought I was able to avoid the Grado lifestyle until I saw @fleasbaby 's work. I have three Grado-style headphones (Nhoord, Magnum V7, and KSC75 customs) and thought I was done, but after seeing posts like these, I was wrong... I love the beauty of them just sitting by my studio rack on a nice stand!

You're too kind. Thank you for the compliment :).

Apr 26, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 54
I'm currently using these to do a review of JDS Labs Element Dac/Amp, and I must say these are REALLY transparent! Like a Grado fused with a DT 880. Very very very clean neutral presentation!!!!

Apr 27, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 54
Thanks for updating the picture...:)

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 54
Thanks for updating the picture...:)
yea that last one was really rough! I should start to have an official review up shortly. Just as soon as I figure out how to showcase some thing...

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 54
Where's the beef?
Would love to see a review of the Magnum V7 and a comparison to other drivers that compete against it like the Nhoord and Ypsilon drivers.

Would also like to see more pictures of this beautiful headphone.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 54
Where's the beef?
Would love to see a review of the Magnum V7 and a comparison to other drivers that compete against it like the Nhoord and Ypsilon drivers.

Would also like to see more pictures of this beautiful headphone.

I'll be doing a comparison to my Nhoord Red V1, a little bogged down right now though. Using these to review the JDS Labds element atm, and I have lots of pics! I should really upload another one...

UE4K5aHBijg9F6MIXi608-3P1VXqpxHU5t4cWQIi88F6_f99qrreWU6yc171DFLUeEXcgGpa_wNJnII=w1684-h873-rw

my only real compliant with these, is they are kinda dry. That said, I prefer a dry sound, and these sound amazing with... everything except for Metal and EDM, which I'll admit I enjoy with my Fostex TH X00... my HE 4 can do EDM but it needs the bass EQ'd [usually do everyfrom after 156 hrz down 4] then it's perfect

but EQ aside, they sound really wonderful! I only wish I had a nice tube amp to pair them with. MY Hm601 is a good source for adding some warmth back into them, but it doesn't do justice to the sound stage

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 54
Better news, finished up my review of JDS Labs The Element, featuring this headphone as my reference. The quality of sound is really quite good! I like to review hard ware with my HE 4, but sadly The Element couldn't power it properly, @fleasbaby your headphone, did an amazing job as a stand in for my HE 4 out of this unit!

By the way, people are asking what the headband and gimbals are? Or not so much what, but what vendor sells them

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 10:35 PM Post #13 of 54
aogCvHw2HjEnWGdSSMaEuy8ZKXo2gLkiN0ssiZJeoIKr0SZqCKBOhUaKB629sNkaAlOHFGBqFLzUBPc=w1608-h970-rw

Sorry for the massive img, but it's FINALLY here. My Project Ember and EH 6sn7 tube, this is a headphone that REALLY sounds amazing with a tube! I won't say I bought my amp JUST to hear these out of it but... they certainly pushed me over the edge

The sound is really amazing, these have a naturally dry tone, and out of a Solid State they were too harsh to listen to Metal with. With the Ember and my 6SN7, I get just a touch of sweetness to the mids, that pairs really well with the overall sound signature on these!

I'd really like to thank @fleasbaby for giving me a chance to listen to these! I've had them a little over a week, and almost two, but I'm happy to finally get to hear these at what I think is their best so far! These are really special, and I'm excited to see what every one else thinks about them!

May 6, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 54
aogCvHw2HjEnWGdSSMaEuy8ZKXo2gLkiN0ssiZJeoIKr0SZqCKBOhUaKB629sNkaAlOHFGBqFLzUBPc=w1608-h970-rw

Sorry for the massive img, but it's FINALLY here. My Project Ember and EH 6sn7 tube, this is a headphone that REALLY sounds amazing with a tube! I won't say I bought my amp JUST to hear these out of it but... they certainly pushed me over the edge

The sound is really amazing, these have a naturally dry tone, and out of a Solid State they were too harsh to listen to Metal with. With the Ember and my 6SN7, I get just a touch of sweetness to the mids, that pairs really well with the overall sound signature on these!

I'd really like to thank @fleasbaby for giving me a chance to listen to these! I've had them a little over a week, and almost two, but I'm happy to finally get to hear these at what I think is their best so far! These are really special, and I'm excited to see what every one else thinks about them!

Thanks @Mshenay, glad you like them. The gimbals were done by an eBay gentleman. Just search Grado Headband and he pops up. He also does a headband with rodblocks. The headband pad is by Turbulent Labs.

I don't see an image in your last post (the new site is a little weird). Could you double-check the URLs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back