Hybrid Maple/Black Limba cupped V7 Build Tour Impressions
Oct 31, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #47 of 54
Hello good folks, I just wanted to share with you guys a video I made about my experience with the headphones. I loved the build and the overall quality, let me know what you think.

Thanks Eric. I loved the video, and am glad to see you dipping your toes into the world of DIY headphones. I was particularly interested to hear you enjoyed using them for mastering work.

Nov 1, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #49 of 54
Thanks Eric. I loved the video, and am glad to see you dipping your toes into the world of DIY headphones. I was particularly interested to hear you enjoyed using them for mastering work.

Man I appreciate it, also appreciate you letting me get a chance with these. It actually was pretty interesting listening to mixes on them the clarity as I said was wonderful.

Nov 12, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #50 of 54
Oh my, anyway I could get in on the tour of these beauties?

@fleasbaby - folks like you do the head-fi community a real service. Not just in allowing a set of your own to go on tour, but all the great information and feedback you give.

Nov 13, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #51 of 54
Oh my, anyway I could get in on the tour of these beauties?

@fleasbaby - folks like you do the head-fi community a real service. Not just in allowing a set of your own to go on tour, but all the great information and feedback you give.

Thanks for the compliments. Unfortunately as an MoT I can't talk as much as I used to, but oh well :).

I'd be glad to have you on the tour. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get them out to you as soon as I can.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #52 of 54
Cans are on their way!

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #53 of 54
The more I listen to these the more I like them.

A little background on me.
All my listening has been done on mid-fi headphones, and while I have auditioned maybe a dozen different pairs, unfortunately all I was focused on at the time ( a year ago or so) was hearing forward vocals, and what bass quantity the HPs could provide, any of the more subtle characteristics escaped me. I never found anything I liked better than my first pair.
Then I bought a pair of modded 225i from DavidA, and they opened my ears to an entirely new listening experience. Instrument separation, clarity, and detail as I had not heard before. Then bought a pair of B-stock Audeze EL-8O, and they took the clarity and detail to a new level. I very much like these Audeze, probably my favorite HPs.

For me, the modded 225i have a little more bass than what I would consider "ideal". The Audeze, being planar has a gorgeous bass, with appropriate quantity of bass, though at times I wish there was more bass.

Now to these Magnums.
The highs are just a bit too much for me, but the Audeze have the same affect to me. On a whim a few weeks ago I bought a Schiit Loki Mini. Using this to dial back the highs just a bit, I thought they transformed the Magnums into a headphone I could listen to for hours. Detail and clarity were not affected, at least that I could tell. I think the bass quantity on fleasbaby's build is just about perfect. Bass when I need it, without overpowering the rest of what is going on, just spot on.

To sum up: Superb detail, clarity, and instrument separation, with as close to perfect balance of bass I have heard yet. I have yet to build a HP myself, but am considering giving it a try. This driver is one I'll be considering, and these cups, as others have noted, are beautiful!

Thanks to fleasbaby for allowing me to hear these.

Jul 7, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #54 of 54
Shameless plug and bump, I actually bought these off @fleasbaby shortly after the tour concluded. I've enjoyed them since then but I'm ready to move up to a Stax Set up now so I think I'd like to find a new home for them! So if any of your are interested in picking these up PM me, and yes I got the OK from Flea after I offered them back to him haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back