Hurricane Jimena Likely To Slam Into Baja California As Major Hurricane
Aug 31, 2009 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
I do not know if anyone here lives in Baja California, but by now I am sure you have heard of Hurricane Jimena. It has a chance to become a Category 5 hurricane in the Eastern Pacific and strike Baja California, making is an extremely rare hurricane. Given its strength and position, there is a possibility it will bring rather unusual weather to Southern California for this time of year (eg. rain, thunderstorms, and possible hailstorms).

Novice-Friendly Link: Category four Hurricane Jimena grows stronger: Baja California on watch

NHC Link: National Hurricane Center

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... I was wondering why it's been so quite in Florida this year, now I know, there over on the other coast! Well definitely stay safe, evacuate if you have too.

It is supposed to be an El Nino year, so traditionally things will be quieter where you are. Of our coast (far off the coast), things are cooking during an El Nino.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in SoCal...near LA...I don't think it's Baja, though..

People in Los Angeles will be fine (Cabo is another story). We have not had a hurricane since 1858, and the last tropical storm was back in 1939. The reason is that the west coast has a cold current, and that is death to tropical systems.

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ehh, we need to evacuate for the fire.
police officers just came and told us about the mandatory evacuation.

I hope it all works out for you. The winds seem to be coming from the southwest, so you may be okay, for what it's worth.

Something to think about is if we get rain out of Jimena, how will that affect the burn areas? Will there be massive mudslides like in 2005?

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 17
now the fire is just about 1mile away from where im typing this
ph34r.gif

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

ph34r.gif

... what happened to the mandatory evacuation? Time to put your headphones down and get out sir... better yet, take your headphones with you and get going!

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

ph34r.gif

Is it heading toward you, or is it passing you by very closely? I have to agree with Graphicism, you should be moving, as there are five people that are trapped right now because they chose to stay, and firefighters cannot get to them. If you do decide to ride it out (a bad move), please do not get any ideas about taking shelter in a hot tub. It has been proven not to work recently.

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 17
Pack your cars and trucks and leave with whatever you can salvage, hose down the yard and outside of the house and wet it all you can....maybe face sprinklers towards where the fire is coming from and turn it on high. Call your local fire dept., and see if that would help at all. i hope theres a pool outside between your house and the fire also. Its a huge fire, so maybe it wouldnt save it, but when ya got nothing to lose, you try everything you can. Seal all your windows closed also so you dont allow for a draft to feed the fire, or if it passes you, you wont get smoke damage.
Bring all your headphones, computers, pets, marijuana plants, and money and important papers.
Good luck!!!

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 17
Yikes, first the fires, now a hurricane nearby to dump tons of rain.

I pretty much live in Rancho Palos Verdes, so we were getting ready to pack up in case on Thursday.

Wow, that Station fire is massive. Looks like a volcano erupting in the distance.

Problem with heavy rains following a fire are the landslides.

-Ed

Sep 1, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #15 of 17
When we had fires in Palm Bay, Florida. We evacuated when we saw the flames just down the street... we packed the car real fast as we watched the firefighters driving over the small flames in a truck of sorts and headed out... days later we returned to pick up a few clothes and check out the area, the surrounding 8 lots of empty land were completely gone, our grass was black, flowers were dead, plastic part of the room had melted and dripped down, plastic blinds inside the house had melted and warped but everything else was okay. Goes to show how close it got and yet how fire retardant a house really is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back