Hum Pristine
Mar 17, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #76 of 105
  I have to say Pristine is the most accurate iem I've ever heard to date. It brutally reveals everything in the recording to the point that I have to make a category which can be used for Pristine only where it sounds perfect because It can make not a well-done lossless recording into something harsh, thin, bright and not enjoyable at all.

Issue is not all recording is made with Pristine and the end user will suffer. This is why a lot of gear is colored to make sound more enjoyable. The best example of a coloring done right is the sony XBA N3. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #77 of 105
Went to Canjam NYC with my Pristine being my main iem which blew away W500 and complete upgrade to JH13FP. Tried a couple of iem : Andromeda, U18, Tia, Zeus XR, Noble Encore and Katana, Jomo Samba ( need to ask Effect audio booth for this). The only 2 iems came out of this to compete with Pristine (mine is v2) were Zeus XR and Jomo Samba. Andromeda is great alternative (quite a unique fun sound) to enjoy the fun but not to replace Pristine.

Pristine really jumps to a different level with right cable upgrade. I have seen cables making it sound worse and even weird in tonality, The only cable that I tried at EA booth that could unleash this beast was Leonidas.

I have never heard detail and resolution presented at this level as I was with JH13FP, w500, 64 U12, K10 and Only heard so with Zeus XR. The price to performance of this iem is significant high if not one of the highest. 

To anyone who wants buy Pristine, beware of your recordings first before buying, you will either get unpleasant sound or heaven.  

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #79 of 105
Recently I have gotten a cable from OC studio , the pairing is very positive so far. Pristine reacts to cable upgrades positively.

What is your impression then?

Mar 18, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #80 of 105
What is your impression then?
I found the stock cable harsh, this new cable removes the harshness and improves bass definitions.
To my surprise the cable is high OCC silver. I am also waiting for a wire world cable to arrive to. Hopefully I can evaluate them all.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #81 of 105
Went to Canjam NYC with my Pristine being my main iem which blew away W500 and complete upgrade to JH13FP. Tried a couple of iem : Andromeda, U18, Tia, Zeus XR, Noble Encore and Katana, Jomo Samba ( need to ask Effect audio booth for this). The only 2 iems came out of this to compete with Pristine (mine is v2) were Zeus XR and Jomo Samba. Andromeda is great alternative (quite a unique fun sound) to enjoy the fun but not to replace Pristine.

Pristine really jumps to a different level with right cable upgrade. I have seen cables making it sound worse and even weird in tonality, The only cable that I tried at EA booth that could unleash this beast was Leonidas.

I have never heard detail and resolution presented at this level as I was with JH13FP, w500, 64 U12, K10 and Only heard so with Zeus XR. The price to performance of this iem is significant high if not one of the highest. 

To anyone who wants buy Pristine, beware of your recordings first before buying, you will either get unpleasant sound or heaven.  

Do you have the custom or the universal version? I have read somewhere that the universal is brighter than the custom, is it true? I really like the build of pristine and the cable is the best stock that ive seen so far.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #82 of 105
Do you have the custom or the universal version? I have read somewhere that the universal is brighter than the custom, is it true? I really like the build of pristine and the cable is the best stock that ive seen so far.

I have a custom v2  and actually I have heard about that too in universal (which also can't be upgraded to v2 or v3) but haven't got a chance to compare; Maybe someone here did. 

Mar 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #83 of 105
The universal that ive tried is identical to that of twister6 review unit( large HUM logo), but with a 2 pin connection. I did not ask what version is it. Based on my short time with it, i think zx2 is not a good pair. I have read somewhere also that mmcx version is better sounding? What is the difference between version 1,2 and 3?

Mar 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #84 of 105
The universal that ive tried is identical to that of twister6 review unit( large HUM logo), but with a 2 pin connection. I did not ask what version is it. Based on my short time with it, i think zx2 is not a good pair. I have read somewhere also that mmcx version is better sounding? What is the difference between version 1,2 and 3?

I was recommended with the mmcx ver for sound quality and build but I haven't gotten a chance to compare 2 pin ver to mmcx for SQ but one thing for sure that mmcx connector on Pristine is ways better than any mmcx connectors I have ever come across on any iems : (Andromeda, shure 846). It doesn't swivel and budges around and for a while won't tend to get loose problem like others. For this type of high quality connector, I had to ask certain cable maker to charge extra for it , some does. I have to admire the build quality of Pristine which is just absolute from top to bottom, even the internal wirings inside I could see using the high quality Litz wires and the very high quality stock cable which has been matched exactly. There is newer ver of stock cable if you order it around.

As for different from v1 , v2 and  v3. While I haven't heard the v3 yet but my friend who used to have v1, has compared to v2, said that it's more pleasant, smoother and warmer than before.  

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #86 of 105
  I have a friend who works as Music Sanctuary whrere he could try any iems whatever he likes.  Guess what, when he had a chance to try SE5ult from his friend (custom version, he forced fit it since they have similar ears shape), it was according to him "Pure hype". The iem is extremely dark sounding if not the darkest. There were nothing impressive about SE5ult except for its bass which is good for BA driver.

Btw, I had a chance to demo Zeus XR, Andromeda, U18 , Tia, Kaiser Encore and Katana. I would say the only iem that would compete with Pristine in technical lvl and resolution is Zeus XR but guess what, the price is ways above. As for the iem with similar signature, I would say is Noble Katana; However, it's still below Pristine in resolution and technical lvl (still don't understand why there are so much hype about them anyways and the price tag is just insane)

Pristine only has 2 drivers and beating multiple drivers out there, sometimes increasing the multiple drivers inside iem doesn't solve anything. Some people gotta listen to believe. I don't jump onto any hype trains nowadays and too bad this thread is dead empty becaue Hum is too new for them.  

I feel a bit disgusted hearing that. I cant imagine the se5u being the darkest and ive heard a lot of totl

the darkest in my list would probably be the JH roxanne

Apr 7, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #87 of 105

In your opinion, would you say the Pristine is a clear and definitive upgrade from the Andromeda?  Or more of a "lateral" change with the main difference just being a different sound signature?  If the former, anything to note specifically that makes you feel that way?  Thanks!

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #88 of 105
Or more of a "lateral" change with the main difference just being a different sound signature?

Why actually so many people consider signature "not important" or "minor" difference? It's the most distinctive characteristic of any headphones, and more then 90% of "like/don't like" estimation came from general signature. Actually, in TOTL segment, there is no definitive upgrades, almost any popular models, hitting this segment are at least good. So, all choices in this segment are subjective too. E.g. — Pristine is a bit brighter then Andromeda, and a bit more detailed (but it's a tiny bit difference actually), so changes are minor, but overall perception differs. But actually, no one can say, will it be an upgrade for you. It's high-end league, and those who aren't good enough — simply doesn't get there.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #89 of 105
Why actually so many people consider signature "not important" or "minor" difference? It's the most distinctive characteristic of any headphones, and more then 90% of "like/don't like" estimation came from general signature. Actually, in TOTL segment, there is no definitive upgrades, almost any popular models, hitting this segment are at least good. So, all choices in this segment are subjective too. E.g. — Pristine is a bit brighter then Andromeda, and a bit more detailed (but it's a tiny bit difference actually), so changes are minor, but overall perception differs. But actually, no one can say, will it be an upgrade for you. It's high-end league, and those who aren't good enough — simply doesn't get there.

Thanks for your input; I actually totally agree with everything you said.  Nevertheless, as I clearly stated at the outset of my post, I was looking for his opinion, not a declaration of objective fact or how things might be for me.  I happen to appreciate the things he has mentioned in other posts around here, and just wanted his honest thoughts on the matter.  Finally, I never said SS was not important or minor; if you inferred that from my words, that's all/on you.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #90 of 105

In your opinion, would you say the Pristine is a clear and definitive upgrade from the Andromeda?  Or more of a "lateral" change with the main difference just being a different sound signature?  If the former, anything to note specifically that makes you feel that way?  Thanks!

I would not say it's "definitive" upgrade because the gap in this league is quite close, there is a small gap but not that night and day differences (not like something in low tier let's say JH13FP) but It's just better than Andromeda.  I'm talking about technical performance of the headphone not mentioning about the signature in which two of them are also different. Some might prefer one to another due to the signature and ignore the gap in technical performance, this example could be seen with HD800 and LCD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back