Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #18,691 of 18,905
Good, you admit you were wrong:

What the video shows and what I commented upon are very different aspects of EMI. The setup in the video covers the effectives of the cable to act as antennae transmitting radio frequency noise (Radiated EMI).

The noise is actually not amplified in the setup you see, instead coupling between the current probe (and analyser) and the noise current in the cable (screen) is altered. As this forms in effect a transformer, adding magnetic material (ferrite) near the current sensor can enhance coupling.

Radiated noise, which is what the video measures, is what causes problems with radio reception (and hence it is legislated). It is generally not consequential for Audio and USB connections.

What is not measured or covered in any way in the video is the noise at the device fed through the cable (the monitor), either differential on signal lines or common mode (Conducted EMI). It is the noise conducted into the audio device is actually the kind of noise that gives us problems. If you instead measure conducted noise and not radiated noise.

Ferrites will have have different behaviour on signal cables for conducted noise. You cannot get amplification of noise transmitted through the cable by applying ferrites. For the signal and differential noise ferrites will have no effect, for common mode noise they add "resistance" (actually impedance, as it frequency dependent) in series with the noise from the source which together with the resistance (actually impedance) to earth in the sink causes the noise levels to be reduced.

If we make the series impedance infinity (galvanic isolation) or the shunt impedance to earth zero, noise completely disappears. For more real conditions the higher the series impedance and lower the shunt impedance the lower is noise at the sink. Increasing series impedance can never boost the noise, but high shunt impedance can.

This would be the case if the shunt path to earth is via a "Y-Capacitor" in an SMPS and the cable from the SMPS has a Ferrite. In this case the ferrite causes us problems, but is often present and needed to pass EMC tests.

But ferrites added to a signal cable can only reduced conducted interference.

So you are right, the video shows ferrites increasing the measured noise in specific conditions (which are mostly not however consequential for audio), while I am right in that adding ferrites to a signal cable cannot increase the noise at the sink device we use for audio (which is consequential for audio).

Thor

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:03 AM Post #18,692 of 18,905
And there we go again… and I actually still not have a clue if adding ferrites to the bnc cable helps the dual bnc or not 😂…. Can’t someone actually clear that up? Or is it like the unniverse, is it endless or is it not?😁🤔

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #18,693 of 18,905
well someone didn't like my ferret pic? It’s been years since I dropped one on the thread

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #18,694 of 18,905
And there we go again… and I actually still not have a clue if adding ferrites to the bnc cable helps the dual bnc or not 😂…. Can’t someone actually clear that up? Or is it like the unniverse, is it endless or is it not?😁🤔

BNC Cables are signal cables. If the two units that are connected by these BNC cables are both powered by SMPS, most likely the answer is yes.

If the Audio Device in the setup (DAC) does not have a 3-Pin AC connection, it may be worthwhile to also attach an earth connection (via an unused socket GND connection) and to lift any extra earth in the system safely (e.g. using Ebtech HumX or a similar product).

Thor

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #18,695 of 18,905
im thinking to place my tt2//mscaler and speakers on a large wooden desk. there will be isolation pads under the speakers and isolation feet under the tt2//mscaler. can anyone see any problems with vibrations etc occurring here?

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #18,696 of 18,905
Here's a question that might make some of you facepalm...

I'm going to be using my TT2 as a DAC only for the first time soon, using it with an external amp (Formula S and Powerman).

I'm a bit confused by the manual, as I expected I would be using the TT2 in DAC mode. The manual states that this will nullify the volume ball.

If I use a speaker amp (future plan) like the TToby with the TT2 in DAC mode, how will I control the volume, as there's no volume dial on the TToby and the manual says the TT2 volume dial won't operate in DAC mode??

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #18,697 of 18,905
Here's a question that might make some of you facepalm...

I'm going to be using my TT2 as a DAC only for the first time soon, using it with an external amp (Formula S and Powerman).

I'm a bit confused by the manual, as I expected I would be using the TT2 in DAC mode. The manual states that this will nullify the volume ball.

If I use a speaker amp (future plan) like the TToby with the TT2 in DAC mode, how will I control the volume, as there's no volume dial on the TToby and the manual says the TT2 volume dial won't operate in DAC mode??
When using a power amp like the TToby, use the TT2 in AMP mode. The same with any power amplifier (amp with no volume control). This way the TT2 will be doing double duty and DAC and preamp.

Feb 18, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #18,698 of 18,905
im thinking to place my tt2//mscaler and speakers on a large wooden desk. there will be isolation pads under the speakers and isolation feet under the tt2//mscaler. can anyone see any problems with vibrations etc occurring here?
What's the point? Is the wooden desk more important than tt2/mscaler and speakers?
Will the wooden desk change the sound of the tt2 to a dave? Please let us know..I think all the questions have been answered to do with the m scaler and tt2 so I think this forum is coming to a slow end. So if you need counselling musickid we will all be there in the Modhouse tungsten headphones forum

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #18,699 of 18,905
New TT2 owner here. Saying hi!

Attachments

• 1708317650512.jpeg
    1708317650512.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 0
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #18,700 of 18,905
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #18,701 of 18,905
You're right, it's endless!

Fortunately, you can clear it up quickly through science: try it! Experiment and out it sounds better or it doesn't on your system in your conditions, and if not, return the ferrites!

Feb 19, 2024 at 5:11 AM Post #18,703 of 18,905
What's the point? Is the wooden desk more important than tt2/mscaler and speakers?
Will the wooden desk change the sound of the tt2 to a dave? Please let us know..I think all the questions have been answered to do with the m scaler and tt2 so I think this forum is coming to a slow end. So if you need counselling musickid we will all be there in the Modhouse tungsten headphones forum
There's a way to answer this without being so adversarial. You might be done with the thread but others aren't.

To answer the question, I can't see the wooden surface being an issue.

Feb 19, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #18,704 of 18,905
Rob Watts has said many times that no surface will affect the performance of the tt2 or m scaler. Obviously don't take them with you while having a bath. You could balance them both on the bath rack just to feel alive and dangerous but they will sound the same

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back