Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #17,911 of 18,905
That's interesting, as Coaxial is the one most susceptible to RFI and noise, what Coaxial cable manufacturer are you using?
Actually I tried several DACs as well for the last few months. From something like SMSL D400EX, Audionote DAC (several of them), and Rockna Wavelight, my taste constantly prefer Coax more.

I use Oyaide FTVS 510 Pure Silver Cable.

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #17,914 of 18,905
Just bought a previously owned TT2 (after owning a Hugo 2) and noticed something weird. The set button won’t work during the first 20 seconds the device is turned on. The menu button however does work. After the full startup, everything works normal. Could someone try if this happens with your TT2? Of if mine has a weird glitch? Unfortunately I don’t have any audiophile friends with a TT2 I can ask it to. Thanks in advance

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #17,915 of 18,905
Just bought a previously owned TT2 (after owning a Hugo 2) and noticed something weird. The set button won’t work during the first 20 seconds the device is turned on. The menu button however does work. After the full startup, everything works normal. Could someone try if this happens with your TT2? Of if mine has a weird glitch? Unfortunately I don’t have any audiophile friends with a TT2 I can ask it to. Thanks in advance
The supercaps are charging up, this is normal.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #17,916 of 18,905
I think it just takes a while for it to start.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #17,918 of 18,905
Dear all,
Is there any new Dac launched replacing the TT2? Since it has been launched for many years already. Would it be unwise to buy it for the moment?
No, it's wise to get it right now as it sounds fantastic. Don't worry about what's coming, it sounds like the Ultima DAC is years away.

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #17,919 of 18,905
Dear all,
Is there any new Dac launched replacing the TT2? Since it has been launched for many years already. Would it be unwise to buy it for the moment?
I bought the TT1 just after the TT2 release was rumored. I’ve never regretted it. It is still one of my favorite listens. I did eventually buy the TT2 because of the mscaler but have kept the TT1.

Jul 16, 2023 at 11:07 PM Post #17,920 of 18,905
just recently got a TT2, and all I can say is “wow” while listening to music.

long time lurker here as I was getting into more high-end headphone gear. I ended up getting the Abyss Diana V2’s and the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack in April, using with my Lake People RS-06 dac (parent company of Violetric that makes more pro-audio oriented gear). I had been researching DACs for months because I wanted something that sounded more analog, less harsh, and with more realistic sound stage/imaging to get rid of that unrealistic wall-of-sound feel.

I also just added an Innuos Pulse streamer a few days before the TT2 got here, and that made a pretty huge difference even with my rs06 dac. Way more fine details and separation, and helped a little with that wall of sound feeling. Before this I was in the “digital is digital” camp but I have never been more wrong. Seriously if you go direct from computer to dac, try a streamer.

Anyway, I was going back and forth between some Bricasti dacs, Weiss, and the Rocknas, but ended up going for a TT2 because I’ve been dying to try the Chord house sound and got a great deal on an open box from the music room.

All I can say is I’m utterly hooked, but I wasn’t initially. I first tried it in amp mode going to the ferrum stack via RCA (read this was the most transparent) and while it sounded good and the soundstage improved a bit, the tonality sounded almost the same as my other dac. and the details didn’t really improve over what adding the streamer gave me.

I listened like this for two days as I was waiting for my 1/4” to 4 pin XLR adapter for the Dianas, and when I finally plugged into the front headphone outs on the TT2… my jaw literally dropped and was hanging open until 2am.

It is the most liquid smooth, sweet sound I’ve ever heard accompanied by razor sharp details. The treble is both unbelievably delicate and non-fatiguing, yet it feels like it’s etching fine details into my brain with a scalpel at the same time. The bass is tight with plenty of slam yet perfectly balanced in the mix.

The soundstage and imaging, holy hell. every sound is separated by so much “air”, everything just feels like it’s effortlessly in its own space, pretty much how live music sounds. Listening to Eric Clapton unplugged, and Hell Freezes Over live, it’s absolutely haunting how real these albums sound, and they really show off the crazy depth of the soundstage the TT2 has. Another interesting thing is that I’ve never had a setup that sounded “alive” unless I crank up the volume. The TT2 sounds so real even at very low volumes, and the best way to describe it is like I’m a few hundred yards away from a band playing live on a stage. Still very real and detailed, just far away.

These words don’t do it justice but suffice it to say that the direct headphone out on the TT2 is a night and day difference, at least for me. This surprised me because I did see a lot of people using it in amp mode out to the ferrum stack and loved it. However I did also see in many reviews that the best sound is directly out of the headphone outputs, so I suppose that was accurate.

So, now I’m considering selling the ferrum stack because after hearing the TT2 there is just no going back for me I think. The best way I can describe it is the ferrum stack seems to just dominate the sound with its own tonality and soundstage rather than letting the dac influence the sound very much. I haven’t listed it anywhere yet but let me know if you are interested in it, it’s in like-new condition as I’ve only had it since April and have barely touched/moved it at all.

anyway thanks for reading my ted talk and hopefully this can help others on the fence about what to buy/audition

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #17,922 of 18,905
just recently got a TT2, and all I can say is “wow”
Another example of the ear heard past what the eye sees.

Its tempting to have a nice looking amp between your DAC and headphones.. but simplicity is key to transparency.. the shorter the audio path.. the less loss of signal.

Enjoy!
Ps dont forget to sleep every now and then😉

Jul 17, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #17,923 of 18,905
just recently got a TT2, and all I can say is “wow” while listening to music.

long time lurker here as I was getting into more high-end headphone gear. I ended up getting the Abyss Diana V2’s and the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos stack in April, using with my Lake People RS-06 dac (parent company of Violetric that makes more pro-audio oriented gear). I had been researching DACs for months because I wanted something that sounded more analog, less harsh, and with more realistic sound stage/imaging to get rid of that unrealistic wall-of-sound feel.

I also just added an Innuos Pulse streamer a few days before the TT2 got here, and that made a pretty huge difference even with my rs06 dac. Way more fine details and separation, and helped a little with that wall of sound feeling. Before this I was in the “digital is digital” camp but I have never been more wrong. Seriously if you go direct from computer to dac, try a streamer.

Anyway, I was going back and forth between some Bricasti dacs, Weiss, and the Rocknas, but ended up going for a TT2 because I’ve been dying to try the Chord house sound and got a great deal on an open box from the music room.

All I can say is I’m utterly hooked, but I wasn’t initially. I first tried it in amp mode going to the ferrum stack via RCA (read this was the most transparent) and while it sounded good and the soundstage improved a bit, the tonality sounded almost the same as my other dac. and the details didn’t really improve over what adding the streamer gave me.

I listened like this for two days as I was waiting for my 1/4” to 4 pin XLR adapter for the Dianas, and when I finally plugged into the front headphone outs on the TT2… my jaw literally dropped and was hanging open until 2am.

It is the most liquid smooth, sweet sound I’ve ever heard accompanied by razor sharp details. The treble is both unbelievably delicate and non-fatiguing, yet it feels like it’s etching fine details into my brain with a scalpel at the same time. The bass is tight with plenty of slam yet perfectly balanced in the mix.

The soundstage and imaging, holy hell. every sound is separated by so much “air”, everything just feels like it’s effortlessly in its own space, pretty much how live music sounds. Listening to Eric Clapton unplugged, and Hell Freezes Over live, it’s absolutely haunting how real these albums sound, and they really show off the crazy depth of the soundstage the TT2 has. Another interesting thing is that I’ve never had a setup that sounded “alive” unless I crank up the volume. The TT2 sounds so real even at very low volumes, and the best way to describe it is like I’m a few hundred yards away from a band playing live on a stage. Still very real and detailed, just far away.

These words don’t do it justice but suffice it to say that the direct headphone out on the TT2 is a night and day difference, at least for me. This surprised me because I did see a lot of people using it in amp mode out to the ferrum stack and loved it. However I did also see in many reviews that the best sound is directly out of the headphone outputs, so I suppose that was accurate.

So, now I’m considering selling the ferrum stack because after hearing the TT2 there is just no going back for me I think. The best way I can describe it is the ferrum stack seems to just dominate the sound with its own tonality and soundstage rather than letting the dac influence the sound very much. I haven’t listed it anywhere yet but let me know if you are interested in it, it’s in like-new condition as I’ve only had it since April and have barely touched/moved it at all.

anyway thanks for reading my ted talk and hopefully this can help others on the fence about what to buy/audition

Abyss Diana has special synergy matter with TT2. Also "wow-ed" me a lot back when I still owned Diana. I suggest if you want to have additional amp to TT2, try tube amp, for completely different flavour.

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #17,924 of 18,905
My TT2 just died last night :rage::rage::rage:

I was listening to music and after about 2 hours music simply stopped. I realized the problem was the TT2 had turned off and I have not been able to turn it on again. The PSU does not seem to be the problem (I tried using M Scaler's PSU with TT2 and it did not work); I have no further clue on what the problem could be.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks

PS: Luckily the purchase invoice is dated July 22, 2020, so this just happened right before the 3-year warranty expires. I hope fixing this is not going to be a nightmare...

Jul 17, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #17,925 of 18,905
My TT2 just died last night :rage::rage::rage:

I was listening to music and after about 2 hours music simply stopped. I realized the problem was the TT2 had turned off and I have not been able to turn it on again. The PSU does not seem to be the problem (I tried using M Scaler's PSU with TT2 and it did not work); I have no further clue on what the problem could be.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?

Thanks

PS: Luckily the purchase invoice is dated July 22, 2020, so this just happened right before the 3-year warranty expires. I hope fixing this is not going to be a nightmare...
Sorry to hear that. I hope you get it repaired soon! Mine is still being repaired! I miss the TT2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back