Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 28, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #17,896 of 18,941
The point in question has to do with the statement that we have no understanding of how the brain processes the input data from the ear. Some highly dispute this. Could you provide some additional information about this?

I think it has to do with the adjustments you made for noise floors, but I'm having a devil of a time explaining it adequately. Appreciate your support on this site!
I'm sure Rob has better things to do then defend every 10 minutes against ASR cult members who think audio science ended with the Nyquist Theorem. I for one hope he won't waste his time on this nonsense and will instead spend it bringing us his next generation of incredible processors!

In the meantime, I'd recommend you watch this video where he answers a lot of those kinds of questions. It's very educational.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #17,897 of 18,941
With the TT2 I was using kimber kable hero’s. I upgraded to Audio Sensibility Signature Silver XLR’s and RCA’s when I got the Dave.

The hero’s worked great with TT2. It’s actually a more forgiving DAC in comparison to the Dave, which reveals inner details like you wouldn’t believe. I wanted to maintain that level of transparency and resolve throughout my system so I knew I had to get better cabling.
Thanks for sharing, I was thinking of checking out Kimber selects 1016 which are their top copper cables, maybe I will.

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #17,898 of 18,941
I'm sure Rob has better things to do then defend every 10 minutes against ASR idiots who think audio science ended with the Nyquist Theorem. I for one hope he won't waste his time on this nonsense and will instead spend it bringing us his next generation of incredible processors!

In the meantime, I'd recommend you watch this video where he answers a lot of those kinds of questions. It's very educational.

Thanks for sharing, I saw this video when it first came out, that site is a cess pool and I don't bother going there.

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #17,900 of 18,941
I know people love the DAVE and I do too, but having had both here for demo, the TT-2 with the M Scaler on batteries to me blows it away in musicality, I enjoy the TT-2 with the M Scaler on batteries much more.
Hi wondering are you using 2 battery packs to power TT2 and HMS independently or just powering HMS and TT2 is connected to the normal power source?

Jun 28, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #17,901 of 18,941
Hi wondering are you using 2 battery packs to power TT2 and HMS independently or just powering HMS and TT2 is connected to the normal power source?
After asking Rob Watts he recommended I only use it on the M Scaler, the TT-2 does a very good job of filtering with the stock power supply and the super caps plus the noise filters Rob put in it. Using Toslink from the player to the M Scaler further removes noise and potential ground plane contamination.

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #17,903 of 18,941
Hello beautiful people
Ive read this entire thread twice now. Maybe it’s a sickness? Anyway, I’m currently using the HMS/TT2 stack as preamp to a Pass Labs X150.5 running Kanta 2 speakers. I use Stellia and thinking of expanding my headphone collection to include Utopia, LCD-5 or similar (Not Susvara or Abyss - yet). I like the results from the headphone out of the TT2 but thinking of adding an amp for a different flavour when desired. I’ve short listed the Euforia EVO and Pass Labs HPA-1. Both will cover the headphones I’m proposing, but the Pass Labs would be a better preamp than the TT2.

Does anyone have current or recent experience with either of these two amps with TT2 as DAC? Any experiences you can relate will be gratefully received.
Cheers!

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #17,904 of 18,941
Hi,

May I ask you a question. I own a Hugo 2 and I was wondering of it would be better to upgrade to the Spring 3 KTE or to the Hugo TT2 (I have and opportunity to get one of these at a fair price. The price tag between the two is not very important). I will note use the Pre-amp section of the TT2 and the headphone is not a decisive criterion for me. I listen to classical music (lyrical and orchestral) / jazz (vocal and instrumental) and the soundstage (tall, width, depth and precision) is an important criteria to me.

Best regards

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #17,905 of 18,941
Hi,

May I ask you a question. I own a Hugo 2 and I was wondering of it would be better to upgrade to the Spring 3 KTE or to the Hugo TT2 (I have and opportunity to get one of these at a fair price. The price tag between the two is not very important). I will note use the Pre-amp section of the TT2 and the headphone is not a decisive criterion for me. I listen to classical music (lyrical and orchestral) / jazz (vocal and instrumental) and the soundstage (tall, width, depth and precision) is an important criteria to me.

Best regards
I'd say you should demo both, however, having listened to the Holo May flagship of that brand I wasn't impressed at all, to me the Qutest sounds much better. These R2R DACs to me sound overly soft and unrealistic, live music has edge and impact and these DACs in my opinion don't come anywhere close to the live event. In my case I would go for the TT-2 every single time, I don't care for overly soft, edge and impact lacking sound. But, that's just me, some like that overly liquidy sound, I don't.

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #17,906 of 18,941
Hello beautiful people
Ive read this entire thread twice now. Maybe it’s a sickness? Anyway, I’m currently using the HMS/TT2 stack as preamp to a Pass Labs X150.5 running Kanta 2 speakers. I use Stellia and thinking of expanding my headphone collection to include Utopia, LCD-5 or similar (Not Susvara or Abyss - yet). I like the results from the headphone out of the TT2 but thinking of adding an amp for a different flavour when desired. I’ve short listed the Euforia EVO and Pass Labs HPA-1. Both will cover the headphones I’m proposing, but the Pass Labs would be a better preamp than the TT2.

Does anyone have current or recent experience with either of these two amps with TT2 as DAC? Any experiences you can relate will be gratefully received.
Cheers!

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #17,907 of 18,941
I run TT2 + HMS with Euforia AE. AE should be technically identical to Evo. I use Utopia and Empyrean headphones. I only use Empyrean from TT2 output and Utopia from AE. Utopia scales very well from AE. I also tried the Abyss 1266 phi tc, but these headphones require a stronger amplifier to show their full potential. Headphones that are suitable for AE (Evo) are Zmf (except Caldera), HD 800s, Focal. The LCD 5 would not benefit from an OTL amplifier. At the moment I have my eye on the Erzetich Charybdis headphones, which are easy to control, don't cost that much and have rave reviews. It is necessary to realize that tube and SS amplifiers are two different worlds. A great advantage of tube amplifiers is that the sound signature can be significantly changed thanks to the replacement of different tubes.

Jun 29, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #17,909 of 18,941
Looking to try the tt2. Does it benefit from a DDC? Or is the usb input well done? Also is there a noticeable sync delay when watching videos etc on the computer?

USB is totally fine. Optical if you want something cleaner, more fluid transient, and wider soundstage in expense of softer impact/bite in sound with a little more analytical trait. Coaxial (BNC) if you pursue something more organic in sound, with wider and more depth in soundstage. For now, after used USB and Optical for the last few years, I like Coaxial the most.

My question for the thread, other than Singxer SU-6, what else other favourite DDC here?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #17,910 of 18,941
USB is totally fine. Optical if you want something cleaner, more fluid transient, and wider soundstage in expense of softer impact/bite in sound with a little more analytical trait. Coaxial (BNC) if you pursue something more organic in sound, with wider and more depth in soundstage. For now, after used USB and Optical for the last few years, I like Coaxial the most.

My question for the thread, other than Singxer SU-6, what else other favourite DDC here?
That's interesting, as Coaxial is the one most susceptible to RFI and noise, what Coaxial cable manufacturer are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back