Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 18, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #17,656 of 18,906
So far a happy camper using XLR out with Susvara, SE out with the Stealth or Kef LS50 and all good....
Doesnt it get hot?

Mar 19, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #17,657 of 18,906
Please dont use TT2 with passive speakers through XLR, use RCA or the front SE , guidelines direct from Rob Watts, I use same with my KEF LS50 gen 1(passive) via SE and it sounds fantastic in my small office 14m2.
Recently, I was thinking I might get an Chord Anni for my Qutest to use as my desktop computer setup, but based on your post, I decided to try pull my TT2 from my main system and run the RCA outs to a couple of 86db sensitive floor standing speakers which serve as my near field monitors.

I was using a 30w x 2 mini Class D integrated Micca amp before and it was sounding quite weak and anemic.

Wow. With the TT2 on high gain at 7.3w x 2, it completely blows that Micca Amp away. For those that say it's not enough power, it is…if you're relatively close 3-5 feet away and probably even up to 10 ft at reasonable volumes. It so good that I'm now gonna just run this indefinitely. Only problem is now I've gotta run the Qutest in my main system, which might mean there's a Dave in my future..... heh heh.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #17,658 of 18,906
Added the TT2 to the AGD chain with a decent Atlas RCA-BNC, tested 192Khz flac without problems.

Master clock: LHY OCK2 square 75Ohm into di20he/10mhz

Source/PC>di20he>spdif>TT2>AryaV2

My initial impression, is great so far, I hear the DI20HE "darkish" character here also. It sort of evens out the mid with the highs, even though the highs feels more firm/pronounced. Its actually less distractive than before. Overall it feels firm and tight to the rythm with more silence in the empty spaces of the elements.

I am only 40min ins and I like that firm punch!

I am gonna compare it with the R8HE MK2 when I reached the 1000hours. Its like in general the TT2 compensates for the "lost" mids of Arya. This is a great pairing. I remember Arya more aggressive on the HE9LE(TT2 XLR outs)

59CE0C58-B4E5-4DC0-8C7C-C29C8C00FDEA.jpeg

TT2 never had problems handling all the elements in this track, its just more on track/firm/tighter now = Alot information that became easier to "digest"
714D14B8-50AF-4555-ADF8-D1BB149B1A8D.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #17,659 of 18,906
I see you had a TT2 already and sold.

I understand your points as i also compared those intensively. TT2's amp section is better powered and makes it have better grip on HP's. Giving meatier fuller sound
20230108_141625.jpg

TT2 served as a example goal to modify my Dave's amp power feed. Now i enjoy best of both which lifted Dave to another league.. with and without Mscaler.

If youre not minding a modification to your Dave.. you could try that (link in my signature)
I have not sold my TT2, chose to keep it in the end for my headphone setup.
In the full stereo system, I went back and forth, the DAVE ultimately sounded superior, although the first impressions from TT2 were more favourable.
The details that DAVE is capable of extracting is unmatched by any DAC under $20k I had a chance to listen to.
TT2 initially seduced me by silkier sound, but I simply could not give up the resolution of DAVE.

As for the mods you made on DAVE, I am not that brave, maybe some day…

Thanks

Mar 21, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #17,660 of 18,906
In the full stereo system, I went back and forth, the DAVE ultimately sounded superior, although the first impressions from TT2 were more favourable.
The details that DAVE is capable of extracting is unmatched by any DAC under $20k I had a chance to listen to.
TT2 initially seduced me by silkier sound, but I simply could not give up the resolution of DAVE.

Thanks
You could also explore a Farad or other ready PSU change. This also lifts Daves amp stage performance by supplying steadier voltage.
They dont need soldering.

Mar 21, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #17,661 of 18,906

Thanks
There is something about TT2 I can not yet put my finger on, which makes this dac sound so charming and delightful. Its like a search everytime Im listening to it, and I am always wondering what it is, everytime.

Some of the thoughts. Am I right for saying TT2 is not a typcisl dS dac?

1. The rythm is free, it feels like this rythm is what characterizes TT2.
- sometimes it can feel too free. I feel like the ddc/clock has encapsulated this and it is more concentrated/focus, but still charming and fun.

2. It is mid focused and still have a thick texture in the highs. Sometimes this spectrum(mid-high)has its own life, which just makes me wanna drift into it, this dac is capable, with “unexpected” surprises.

3. It does not quiet sound like a robotic dS dac. It leans towards a R2R feel sometimes. It moves me. Im actually not “relaxed”, but more dedicated to the sound compared to RME and iFi Diablo. This is something I also experience on the AGD. It takes me away from what I am trying to focus on while working in microsoft windows.

Mar 21, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #17,662 of 18,906
3. It does not quiet sound like a robotic dS dac. It leans towards a R2R feel sometimes.

Agree completely here. Some R2R may sound too rounded at the edge of notes, become too "blunt" and may affect separation become not so clear. OTOH, Chip DS DAC may sound dry, too "plain" that could not engage the music well. Chord TT2 hit the sweet spot between these two characters.

Mar 21, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #17,664 of 18,906
Doesnt it get hot?
No, not warmer than when using my Susvara XLr out, just warm to the touch nothing more than that...

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #17,665 of 18,906
There is something about TT2 I can not yet put my finger on, which makes this dac sound so charming and delightful. Its like a search everytime Im listening to it, and I am always wondering what it is, everytime.

Some of the thoughts. Am I right for saying TT2 is not a typcisl dS dac?

1. The rythm is free, it feels like this rythm is what characterizes TT2.
- sometimes it can feel too free. I feel like the ddc/clock has encapsulated this and it is more concentrated/focus, but still charming and fun.

2. It is mid focused and still have a thick texture in the highs. Sometimes this spectrum(mid-high)has its own life, which just makes me wanna drift into it, this dac is capable, with “unexpected” surprises.

3. It does not quiet sound like a robotic dS dac. It leans towards a R2R feel sometimes. It moves me. Im actually not “relaxed”, but more dedicated to the sound compared to RME and iFi Diablo. This is something I also experience on the AGD. It takes me away from what I am trying to focus on while working in microsoft windows.
TT-2 sure is awesome. A friend and I listened to the RME ADI DAC and both agreed it was sterile and flat a pancake, it was horrible. That is one example of something that measures well and sounds horrible.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #17,666 of 18,906
TT-2 sure is awesome. A friend and I listened to the RME ADI DAC and both agreed it was sterile and flat a pancake, it was horrible. That is one example of something that measures well and sounds horrible.
I feel the RME needs the right headphone to feel more firm/tight in the sound. From my experience the TT2 outperformed the Sundaras totally, I heard all the flaws of Sundara, that I was not prepared for. However the RME could not handle the AryaV2, it felt to loose. It seemed switching to Sundara/RME TT2/Arya was the perfect choice. Specially for Arya, my god. So what i learned is that DAC and Headphone should have the opposite character. I thought Sundara was going to be perfect because it also had the mids. Sundara is better on RME than Arya, and viceversa with TT2 and Arya.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #17,667 of 18,906
I bought and returned RME ADI three(!) times if you can believe it. Every time I was falling for its feature list for the price. In the end, I could not even listen to youtube videos through it, it was like a torture.

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #17,668 of 18,906
I bought and returned RME ADI three(!) times if you can believe it. Every time I was falling for its feature list for the price. In the end, I could not even listen to youtube videos through it, it was like a torture.
We listened to it with amazing speakers, to me and my friend it was terrible, I find it funny that some objectivists love that DAC, to my ears it sounded horrible. My Oppo BDP 105 sounds better than that.

Mar 21, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #17,670 of 18,906
Well, good measurement gives no warranty of good sound indeed. There are some good measurement products that produce nice listening experience too though (not just graphic), such as Mola Tambaqui and for more budget friendly, SMSL D400EX.
I'm not against measurements at all, in fact, I check and am familiar with most measurements. However, I value what I hear more than what's on the AP55X, my ears Ultimately tell me what I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back