Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 25, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #16,411 of 19,009
I just saw the powersupply for tt2. It looks really cheap. Cant understand why they include such crap.

Because it works as intended. Define ‘crap’?

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #16,414 of 19,009
Because it works as intended. Define ‘crap’?
Sorry I meant "generic" or ordinary or.....why not make something that compliments the dac. ifi audio makes nice one for there signature model. That should be atleast what chord should have included.

Jul 25, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #16,415 of 19,009
Yawn. Here you go again with your off-handed comments against any music that isn't purely acoustic. It's like every week I see you popping off in different forums with the same lonely puritan opinion, only to be met with the sound of crickets. Unamplified crickets per your preference.

I will admit that a lot of radio-destined music is a victim of the loudness wars and suffers a loss of dynamic range. However this hardly represents all the modern music that has somehow earned your undying scorn.

In another universe, Wagner would have fallen in love with the sound of an electric guitar.
I’m pretty sure Bethoven would have loved amplification 😜

Jul 25, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #16,416 of 19,009
I just saw the powersupply for tt2. It looks really cheap. Cant understand why they include such crap.
Here we go again back to PSU topic haha.

Agree it looks like crap, and external build quality also seems generic. However as Rob stated for some times, it measured well (electricity wise) to feed the big capacitors in TT2. Nothing crap about performance.

I notice power cable still have effect on sound, even though not significant. Currently my favourite now is from Transparent Cable (Beat Oyaide and Nanotec).

Jul 25, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #16,417 of 19,009
Sorry I meant "generic" or ordinary or.....why not make something that compliments the dac. ifi audio makes nice one for there signature model. That should be atleast what chord should have included.

As I understand it, Rob Watts specifically chose this PSU for performance reasons. If you trust him in the designing of TT2, why not also trust he is well aware of good psu design also. Do not forget, part of the power supply design is also housed inside TT2 also... It might look cheap and plastic, but 1) you’d normally hide it away behind the rack, and 2) if you unplug the psu, you’ll find there’s no performance improvement, nor degradation (for a few seconds, before power is exhausted!). Hence this ‘cheap’ psu is doing its job - as designed - perfectly. Some people like the effects of added noise, rfi etc however…

Jul 25, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #16,418 of 19,009
Who's going to be brave and send their TT2 in for testing at ASR? I would love to see the TT2 live up to the expectation and perform better against Topping/SMSL than the DAVE did. Also, the headphone output power is likely higher than any DAC/amp tested on that site. I don't believe I've ever seen any measurements of the TT2 before. If anyone has, please link them here.

Jul 26, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #16,419 of 19,009
As I understand it, Rob Watts specifically chose this PSU for performance reasons. If you trust him in the designing of TT2, why not also trust he is well aware of good psu design also. Do not forget, part of the power supply design is also housed inside TT2 also... It might look cheap and plastic, but 1) you’d normally hide it away behind the rack, and 2) if you unplug the psu, you’ll find there’s no performance improvement, nor degradation (for a few seconds, before power is exhausted!). Hence this ‘cheap’ psu is doing its job - as designed - perfectly. Some people like the effects of added noise, rfi etc however…

I don´t know I am really close to pull the trigger on TT2 but I am unsure. Everything i used be remote right. How much am I depended on the remote?
-Answered in the video below
Maybe the PSU not that "generic"

The Supercapacitor part

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #16,420 of 19,009
Does anyone use the TT2 for gaming (PC and/or console via USB and/or Toslink) and can say something about the latency? Are there any latency issues? I've read that it's around 60ms, isn't that a lot - compared to the Hugo 2 at around 30ms?
Oh my god thanks for pointing this out. I was almost going to think about buying it today

In music production DAW/Audio/Midi. 50ms is a lot. Hearable. Chord has not a buffer adjustment to lower the latency is a big flaw to me.

I don´t accept anything over 10ms

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #16,421 of 19,009
I use the TT2 via TOSLINK from my TV and can confirm there is significant lag such that dialogue isn't synced with video
I changed a setting on my TV (optical only instead of optical + internal speakers) and now the lag issue is resolved.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #16,423 of 19,009
I am at Heathrow taking a flight out this morning - so I can't confirm absolutely - but the volume display will change automatically, (so 0H would then become -9L as low gain is 9 dB lower) so you would then need to manually increase the volume to 0L. The 0L would be volume matched to 0H. I thought it would be counter intuitive to change the gain control, and to auto change the volume as well; but the display will tell you the absolute level. Note that with a 0dBFS input +7H (high gain) it will clip; at -2L it will also clip.

Me too - I much prefer stereo on my home theatre.

Hugo 1 had a delay of 34 ms; TT2 is 63 mS; modern TV's and projectors have at least a one or two of frames of delay, so in my experience you will be OK. If the TV has frame interpolation, turn that feature on, as this will add more video delay.
Hi Rob Watts

I really need som clarification on this latency regarding 63ms.

Are we talking about the latency in the TV(input lag) ?

I am planning on connecting the dac to my computer with a computer diskplay not a TV.

Is the lag issue related to TV?

Can anybody confirm this on a gaming computer regarding latency. Is it not possible to change Buffer size or how is the driver for Chord TT2?

Jul 27, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #16,424 of 19,009
Hi Rob Watts

I really need som clarification on this latency regarding 63ms.

Are we talking about the latency in the TV(input lag) ?

I am planning on connecting the dac to my computer with a computer diskplay not a TV.

Is the lag issue related to TV?

Can anybody confirm this on a gaming computer regarding latency. Is it not possible to change Buffer size or how is the driver for Chord TT2?
For music only, you won't notice a thing.
If you use the DAC to watch video , then there is a mismatch on lip-synch, but it is fixable by delaying the video on your player by similar time latency.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #16,425 of 19,009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back