Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #16,186 of 18,905
@Rob Watts thank you so much for answering my questions. I had read before your comments regarding High Gain and Low Gain as to IEMs and headphones in general, but in this case I was referring to TT2 connection to TTOBY. I have them connected through XLR, but since I use the TT2 as a preamp I am not sure if I should put it in High or Low Gain.

High gain would be best when connecting a power amp.

I am using Wave cables, and really like them. So why would Wave cables require the components to be separated? Is it a matter of keeping the ferrites away from each other or bending, or something else?

Also, I have notice that leaving the TT2 on all the time, as you recommend, seems to give off a lot of heat, even when not playing audio. Is this not a problem? I am not worried about lost electricity use (I think it isn't much) but rather the longevity of the TT2.

Thanks again!

I just automatically kept them separate when using ferrite cables - they are heavy and need supporting. Also, the Wave cables effectively isolate the two units - you don't want to spoil it by capacitive coupling when stacking. You also do not want one end of the cable touching or getting close to another end - this I know does damage SQ.

The TT2 will withstand a lot more heat and still be long term reliable, so I wouldn't worry about it running warm continuously.

Side by side or as far as cable will allow?
Leave a good gap - but I have never actually AB tested how much of a gap you need, I just keep them as far apart as the cables allow.

Apr 26, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #16,187 of 18,905
The recently asr measured topping LA90 amp even beats the ahb2 in measurements except it has lower power than ahb2, can be a great match to tt2 as it has power amp functionality too by bypassing the volume control. Good days are ahead for people listening to music on speakers.

Apr 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #16,188 of 18,905
High gain would be best when connecting a power amp.

I just automatically kept them separate when using ferrite cables - they are heavy and need supporting. Also, the Wave cables effectively isolate the two units - you don't want to spoil it by capacitive coupling when stacking. You also do not want one end of the cable touching or getting close to another end - this I know does damage SQ.

The TT2 will withstand a lot more heat and still be long term reliable, so I wouldn't worry about it running warm continuously.

Leave a good gap - but I have never actually AB tested how much of a gap you need, I just keep them as far apart as the cables allow.
I have the WAVE cables supported so they are not weighing on the input/outputs

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #16,189 of 18,905
Just posted same in HMS thread.
I did a bit of A/B and a definitive "no clue". Insert expletive if you want. I kept running Beatles "Because". At one point I had convinced myself it did sound better separtated, stacked again and no clue. One thing for sure I did notice is after side by side the stacked looks weird to me somehow!

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #16,190 of 18,905
Just posted same in HMS thread.
I did a bit of A/B and a definitive "no clue". Insert expletive if you want. I kept running Beatles "Because". At one point I had convinced myself it did sound better separtated, stacked again and no clue. One thing for sure I did notice is after side by side the stacked looks weird to me somehow!
I didn't notice a difference either. But I decided to go half way. This is my setup. Just got the board today. Looks nice. The cables self support because they are curving downwards, and with proper positioning the torque makes the cables pull backwards, not down, on the connections. I think/hope they are ok.

HMS TT2.JPG

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #16,191 of 18,905
Nice. I bought a headphone hangar and put it on back of desk. From their I used a giant zip-tie to cradle the WAVE. It pulls the connectors up so they don't weigh on the Chord's. I'm going to check out something like yours as well. I wonder I got big isolation feet between them if that would work?

May 1, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #16,199 of 18,905
What is the use if XLR headphone out " " natively " ? How XLR for headphones helps in sq ? 🤣😂
Its a better connector. Doesn't have the clunk as it drags the tip and sleeve past the ground contact.

Nothing to do with balanced / unbalanced for me. Just functionally nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back