Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 31, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #15,706 of 18,905
Thank you to everyone who replied to me on my post about needing a file player. I think now I understand that streamers can be operated by wires, it reopens my choice of streamers. Thanks to @oniel459 , @Widell.

I am thinking again about the Node 2i, although I am not 100% sure yet.

Any streamer or file-source that I use, must have bit-perfect output. Whereas the Bluesound Node (or Node 2i) manual does not specifically use the term bit-perfect. There is a setting called 'fixed level output', and it bypassed the DAC or any DSP. I think that is bit-perfect but they just did not use the term. Their support mention bit-perfect in furums, but it makes me sceptical they don't mention it in literature.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #15,707 of 18,905
Thank you to everyone who replied to me on my post about needing a file player. I think now I understand that streamers can be operated by wires, it reopens my choice of streamers. Thanks to @oniel459 , @Widell.

I am thinking again about the Node 2i, although I am not 100% sure yet.

Any streamer or file-source that I use, must have bit-perfect output. Whereas the Bluesound Node (or Node 2i) manual does not specifically use the term bit-perfect. There is a setting called fixed level output, and it bypassed the DAC or any DSP. I think that is bit-perfect but they just did not use the term. Their support mention bit-perfect in furums, but it makes me sceptical they don't mention it in literature.
Glad to help! Now that you mention it, I never checked the manual. I just went off of the nodes webpage on Bluesound. They use the term bit perfect there.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #15,708 of 18,905
I had a look over the Lumin, but it's not going to be any use I think. It doesn't have onboard storage which I wuld hope for at that price. It's also lots more expensive than I considered. I think given any streamer with bit-perfect output across optical should be identical to any other. Then the Lumin makes no sense for me, unless there is a strongly compelling argument. I suppose the upsampling is that argument, but I always figured on using the M-Scaler one day. ... (I am drooling over the Lumin though, even if it's not for me.)

I'll take a look at the remote control.

I don't use Roon or HQPlayer.

I always dismissed the Pi options, because I don't really want to have to make boxes to put them in. I would like whatever player I have to need an optical output too. Not sure the Pi has that, or even much about what the Pi is. I figured it was a cheap small, basic PC.
@GreenBow Lumin isn't cheap definitively. Actually the lack of onboard storage is a advantage for me considering this could be one element that can fail and you do not need to send the whole device to a service center. Adding $20-$200 to device price to add external usb memory stick or SSD drive isn't such a big issue IMHO and this is expense that is also needed with other cheaper solutions like RPi or ifi zen stream for example unless you have music collection in TB.

As far as Lumin upsampling is concerned I have never turned it on - and for this particular feature you can say I overpaid :wink: - since I had M Scaler already for TT2 and Rockna WaveLight does not like external upsampled sources from my experience (looking forward to check out Rockna Server upsampling when it will be eventually available). Still just because Lumin M1 fits my bill perfectly well doesn't mean it will fit yours or any other person.

As far as sound of transports I agree with you that unless there is something very wrong with the streamer they sound the same. Heck, they even may use exactly the same software and hardware components.

A side note about M Scaler - it will free you from all the constant tweaking and trying to setup software like HQP or Audirvana right. That is is why I prefer hardware based upsamplers from software ones. They just work since moment you turn them on.

Good luck with finding you next best streamer mate :)

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #15,709 of 18,905
@alekc, I tried messing around with PGGB, Audirvana, and HQPlayer, and I found them to be a monumental waste of time, and a tremendous pain in the arse, though some folks really swear by the technology and the sound that they’re getting. For me because I had fallen in love with the form and function of the TT2, getting the MScaler was a no brainer.

Feb 1, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #15,710 of 18,905
@alekc, I tried messing around with PGGB, Audirvana, and HQPlayer, and I found them to be a monumental waste of time, and a tremendous pain in the arse, though some folks really swear by the technology and the sound that they’re getting. For me because I had fallen in love with the form and function of the TT2, getting the MScaler was a no brainer.
@bpcans I haven't tried PGGB since it produces enormous audio files, classical Audirvana had very simple upsampler, not on par with M Scaler or even Nuprime in their CD transports and players, Audirvana Studio has unacceptable subscription model for me, has been full of bugs and up to December 2021 has been missing some of classic Audirvana features, yet the upgraded upsampler again has been far behind any hardware solution I have heard so far and it required a lot of experimenting. HQP is probably a great upsampling lab if one has all the time to fiddle with all the settings and do listening tests, even setting up for simple config isn't trivial task IMHO and I just want to setup my system and enjoy music. It is so simple. So far Nuprime and M Scaler has beaten all above solutions either in usage ergonomy or in SQ or both.

So long story short: I confirm every your word, M Scaler with TT2 just works out of box and let you enjoy music.

Feb 3, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #15,712 of 18,905
Hi all, I just purchased the TT2. Love the dac but somehow I can’t feel the difference between the Filters 1 - 4 and can’t feel the difference in XFHD either.
Is this due to my ears or any of you have the same feel as me?
I use it with Susvara and also my speakers system ie : Hegel H390 and Dynaudio Heritage Special.
Streamer is Buesound Node N130

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #15,713 of 18,905
Hi all, I just purchased the TT2. Love the dac but somehow I can’t feel the difference between the Filters 1 - 4 and can’t feel the difference in XFHD either.
I use it with Susvara and also my speakers system ie : Hegel H390 and Dynaudio Heritage Special.
They are , IMO, very subtle and not really big differences. Some owners say they do hear them clearly.
Too many concerts w/o ear protection as well as father time is my excuse!

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #15,714 of 18,905
Depends a lot on the music file that you send it.
The filters are intended to demonstrate their impact with high def files, so it is difficult to detect differences with redbook CD quality files.
Read Rob Watts posts.
If you can detect differences with redbook files, be aware that it maybe expectation bias.

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #15,715 of 18,905
Difference between filters it's very subtle.
But crossfeed ? It's profound.
What kind of music do you listen ?

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #15,717 of 18,905
In my case, using high res files and M scaler. I heard little to nothing but keep it on 1 wanting the most detail.
I noticed the same too. I'm playing with it right now and can't really tell much difference either. It'll be functions i play with as i do different genres/qualities/streams/etc

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #15,718 of 18,905
Sounds like it is my ears issue!

I listen to anything if it’s in good sq.

Also auditioned the MScaler with Susvara. And again.. I wasn’t able to hear the difference between the pass through and the highest scale.
Will try the MScaler with the speaker system.

Might need to upgrade my ears component instead!!

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #15,719 of 18,905
Filters can be very hard to discern the difference. I feel you need to try each for an extended period before changing. Cross feed is easy to hear but I am not a big fan. ymmv

Feb 3, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #15,720 of 18,905
To me Filter 2 w/high-res files. 1 seems a tiny harsh. Last night I was listening to some Allman Brothers and it sounded wrong. I had it on Filter 4 and by bumping remote control. Switched it back and it was fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back