Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 12, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #15,361 of 18,905
We are both using mscaled chord dacs with top quality planar headphones on that we can agree. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #15,362 of 18,905
I know the linear PSU vs stock smps debate has been discussed ad nauseam. But for those who use linear PSU (I know there’s plenty of you), does anyone use a Plixir power supply for their TT2? Would love to hear your feedback.

I am very happy with my Plixir power conditioner (my entire chain is on it) and I still have enough space in my rack for exactly one Plixis psu to stack on top of it.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #15,363 of 18,905
So a few days back I managed to do an A/B between the TT2 and Dave using my LCD-4z. Had a chance to test it out with LCD-5 and Meze Elite, but for today, I describe my impressions mostly through the lens of the 4z as this is the HP I am most familiar with. I had over an hour comparing these two chord products directly using their HP out sockets. For this test I use the Minamata OST with Qobuz (Hi-res 96 khz). Tracks "Boy and Camera" to test treble detail and "Hidden Data" for bass.

At first, I was somewhat skeptical with the Chord TT2 and Dave, owing to its clinical sound signature. But after A/B-ing with conventional Chinese chip-based DACs like your toppings, questyles and whatnot, I then realise the chord was something special, principally if you own a TOTL headphone where the chord is able to bring out what I didn't think was possible.

Normally the LCD-4z is on the claustrophobic side when it comes to soundstage, but both chord products is able to widen this and vastly improve the imaging. The Chinese DACs were good, but the soundstage is still a bit closeted, say cafe-sized and the sounds were coming from a small arc.

Transitioning to the Chord TT2 coming straight after the Chinese DACs, the soundstage becomes much larger, imaging spherical but at the same time, the dynamics are not sacrificed. I could feel the weight of percussive instruments and the heft of the bass notes. Cymbals convey a sense of texture as it hits the surface, and I felt enveloped in the the bass but I could still hear every single detail of both the bass notes and other frequencies embedded in the passage. The TT2 is the more fun-sounding of the two.

With Dave, the soundstage was an extreme version of the TT2 and I can hear more micro details, but the dynamics are sacrificed, with less 'slam' and weight on notes. Normally 4z soundstage feels like a small cafe, but for that moment I thought I was listening to HD800s. The leading-edge of notes become sharper, even from the TT2, and it felt like listening to a dynamic driver HP. I think Dave could scale even further with a TOTL amplifier like the XI Audio Formula S to add those missing dynamics.

so In conclusion, My preference is still with TT2 because I think it is the best all-rounder, no-fuss solution. I think the Dave is great too, but would further benefit from external amplification to improve the dynamics and think will scale much further.

The hype is real guys. If you own a TOTL HP, you can really get the best out of them with these. Now I understand the magic of Chord's higher-end offerings and aspire to own one in the near future :) .

dave + 4z.jpeg
tt2 + 4z.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #15,364 of 18,905
Dec 13, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #15,365 of 18,905
Another tweak for the tt2/mscaler is the SRC-DX. Take the usb output from your streamer into it and 1 or 2 coax out into your mscaler. Only one coax is necessary unless you stream files higher than 384k. Opens high end and details bass.
Interesting because I emailed Dan (Audiowise) and stated there is no benefit in using SRC-DX if using mscaler.

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #15,366 of 18,905
So a few days back I managed to do an A/B between the TT2 and Dave using my LCD-4z. Had a chance to test it out with LCD-5 and Meze Elite, but for today, I describe my impressions mostly through the lens of the 4z as this is the HP I am most familiar with. I had over an hour comparing these two chord products directly using their HP out sockets. For this test I use the Minamata OST with Qobuz (Hi-res 96 khz). Tracks "Boy and Camera" to test treble detail and "Hidden Data" for bass.

At first, I was somewhat skeptical with the Chord TT2 and Dave, owing to its clinical sound signature. But after A/B-ing with conventional Chinese chip-based DACs like your toppings, questyles and whatnot, I then realise the chord was something special, principally if you own a TOTL headphone where the chord is able to bring out what I didn't think was possible.

Normally the LCD-4z is on the claustrophobic side when it comes to soundstage, but both chord products is able to widen this and vastly improve the imaging. The Chinese DACs were good, but the soundstage is still a bit closeted, say cafe-sized and the sounds were coming from a small arc.

Transitioning to the Chord TT2 coming straight after the Chinese DACs, the soundstage becomes much larger, imaging spherical but at the same time, the dynamics are not sacrificed. I could feel the weight of percussive instruments and the heft of the bass notes. Cymbals convey a sense of texture as it hits the surface, and I felt enveloped in the the bass but I could still hear every single detail of both the bass notes and other frequencies embedded in the passage. The TT2 is the more fun-sounding of the two.

With Dave, the soundstage was an extreme version of the TT2 and I can hear more micro details, but the dynamics are sacrificed, with less 'slam' and weight on notes. Normally 4z soundstage feels like a small cafe, but for that moment I thought I was listening to HD800s. The leading-edge of notes become sharper, even from the TT2, and it felt like listening to a dynamic driver HP. I think Dave could scale even further with a TOTL amplifier like the XI Audio Formula S to add those missing dynamics.

so In conclusion, My preference is still with TT2 because I think it is the best all-rounder, no-fuss solution. I think the Dave is great too, but would further benefit from external amplification to improve the dynamics and think will scale much further.

The hype is real guys. If you own a TOTL HP, you can really get the best out of them with these. Now I understand the magic of Chord's higher-end offerings and aspire to own one in the near future :) .

dave + 4z.jpegtt2 + 4z.jpeg
The formula S/P takes the dave to another level. Imo the dave by itself is not that great and TT2's headphone section is far superior

Dec 13, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #15,367 of 18,905
Interesting because I emailed Dan (Audiowise) and stated there is no benefit in using SRC-DX if using mscaler.
@TopQuark, I use an SRC.DX to bypass the USB input of my M Scaler, and I’ve found that it works to markedly benefit the sound quality of my system.

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #15,368 of 18,905
@TopQuark, I use an SRC.DX to bypass the USB input of my M Scaler, and I’ve found that it works to markedly benefit the sound quality of my system.
So ComTrue with the addition of BNC cables works better than Amanero. This is the reason why I'm hoping Chord will come up with a TT2 compatible desktop streamer all BNC linked to complete the stack.

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #15,369 of 18,905
@senseitedj, a very nice review.

Thanks! I hope this sheds some light on the debate between TT2 and Dave. Both are great and TT2 owners should not feel that they are getting less over the Dave

The formula S/P takes the dave to another level. Imo the dave by itself is not that great and TT2's headphone section is far superior

Agreed, the HP out on Dave could be better. Hopefully, I can have a go at listening with a flagship stack someday with Dave.

So ComTrue with the addition of BNC cables works better than Amanero. This is the reason why I'm hoping Chord will come up with a TT2 compatible desktop streamer all BNC linked to complete the stack.

Yes this would be a very compelling stack. I like it when manufacturer makes a series of product that synergise with each other.

Dec 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #15,372 of 18,905
I've been contemplating the TT2 and just now I realized that through USB it can't take double dxd material. The vast majority of my music collection is remastered to double dxd via PGGB so I just want to clarify that I have read it right. Interestingly, my little Mojo can take double dxd via USB, no problem.

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #15,374 of 18,905
I've been contemplating the TT2 and just now I realized that through USB it can't take double dxd material. The vast majority of my music collection is remastered to double dxd via PGGB so I just want to clarify that I have read it right. Interestingly, my little Mojo can take double dxd via USB, no problem.
@Peti I have no experience of these files but I thought it would be odd for the Mojo to accept them and not the TT2. I googled it and found this link

They say this in that link

"The Hugo TT2 is ready to take advantage of today's advanced studio-master-quality (DXD) music files allowing music lovers to experience music in true high definition, along with the best possible reproduction of CD-quality music. Hugo TT2 supports up to 32-bit/384kHz audio via coax and USB, and 24-bit/192kHz over optical, plus DSD64 on all inputs and DSD128 via coax or USB (all via DoP). "

Might be worth having another google on "digital extreme files DXD chord tt2" to see if there's anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back