Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 22, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #15,091 of 19,009
Remember that the TT2 has no battery to charge. It has supercapacitors which hold 20s of charge.
Exactly… I presumed they meant the JS2 as a power supply rather than to charge the TT2.

Nov 22, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #15,092 of 19,009
Exactly… I presumed they meant the JS2 as a power supply rather than to charge the TT2.
I am charing with the stock SMPS, since I have a spare non-used JS2, I was not sure whether 12v can replace the stock of 15v. Yes, I heard that since TT2 is supercap. it would not bring any SQ by replacing the stock PSU. I just want to make sure it is safe by replacing with a 12v. Thank you

Nov 23, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #15,093 of 19,009
I am charing with the stock SMPS, since I have a spare non-used JS2, I was not sure whether 12v can replace the stock of 15v. Yes, I heard that since TT2 is supercap. it would not bring any SQ by replacing the stock PSU. I just want to make sure it is safe by replacing with a 12v. Thank you
12v is a good voltage for tt2. I think the supplier psu can do 3 or 4 amps, so if the other charger can do that then, at least that’s a kind of equivalance.

Nov 23, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #15,094 of 19,009
Although repeating myself, I changed to a linear power supply and it made a bigger positive difference than the Mscaler…which I have sold subsequently.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #15,097 of 19,009
Would you mind sharing which linear supply you are using?
It’s the MCRU linear power supply for TT2 and it’s worth the money. But as always…to my ears.

Nov 23, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #15,099 of 19,009
Nov 23, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #15,100 of 19,009
Yes I do for my m scaler too

Yes I did ... its sound better with M Scaler than TT2 ...
Have sold my Mscaler, so never tried it…bugger!

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #15,101 of 19,009
It’s the MCRU linear power supply for TT2 and it’s worth the money. But as always…to my ears.
Having been reading this thread for quite some time now I'm aware of the arguments for and against supplied charger and LPS, including RW's strong dislike of them. However I am open minded when it comes to 'mains' improvements, so in that spirit, does anyone else feel the MCRU LPS made a worthwhile improvement to the TT2's sound quality?

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #15,102 of 19,009
I understand your reticence to try another TT2. Mine experienced the failure to initiate/clicking problem a couple of months ago…

The issue certainly was not the PSU; apparently (and I’m no expert for sure) it was the inrush limiter that failed which required the entire board to be replaced. I’m hopeful Chord has “solved” the problem by using a better limiter; they don’t want the bad PR generated by forums like this and don’t want to lose loyal customers who don’t want to deal with the annoyance of the repair process though I will say the US Texas repair facility was very helpful and made it as painless as possible. Unfortunately, Chord isn’t going to admit to a problem which might force a very expensive recall/potential class action litigation.

After a LOT of deliberation I’ve placed an order for a brand new TT2 from Nintronics. Really hoping the inrush limiter problem has been addressed by Chord’s QC dept. now, as it’s a good year after these issues with clicking & warm running units eventually failing to power up were being reported here.

Worries aside, really looking forward to owning a TT2 again after going round in circles & wasting money with various ‘upgrades’ and side-grades. There were/are aspects of the original TT I (subjectively) preferred to TT2 on certain recordings, but ultimately ended up missing that extra resolution of TT2 in the end plus the extra inputs, and extra info on the display screen and the potential for an upgrade with M-Scaler. I also know now to use optical to minimise any noise floor modulation possibilities (in the context of my system), and will be using a Mark Grant interconnect rather than any silver plated alternatives, as I prefer a slightly warmer/organic voicing, at the expense of a little detail. Fingers crossed, my third (!) TT2 should be arriving tomorrow :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #15,103 of 19,009
DSC_6897-1.jpg

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #15,104 of 19,009
add an M-scaler to make the TT2 slightly smoother and easier to listen to, althought to my ears its very smooth and warm already lol
Yes, a friend with a DAVE and others swear by the MS. I was upscaling with HQP to PCM 384, but really only enjoyed the TT2 when HQP upscaling to DSD128.

Anyway different strokes / folks. My DAC is back and I'm happy. 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back