Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 22, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #13,622 of 18,907
I have compared the TT2 direct out to TT2 + my speaker amp and I would not say that the speaker amp is better on everything. Some aspect is clearly better but others not IMO. It can of course be a because of less than stellar matching between TT2 and my speaker amp. Anyway I have high hopes for the TT2 rear XLR out.
What speaker amp?

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #13,623 of 18,907
My main problem is my office is a very small space, I’m thinking of getting the scm19 active, as a kind of future proofing, for when my office is a little bigger.
But my room is so small...

If you have a small room, the ATC might work. In a small room, one thing you can't do is crank volume. It depends on how the ATC handle low volumes. Whereas music at lower volumes in smallrooms still sounds complete.

I have read a few times that actives are the way to go until budget is less contrained. Apparently you get more for your money in actives than you do with separates in mid to lower budget options. No idea what the cross-over point is.

For me both separates and actives have their merits. Separates being upgradable as you decide later.

If you're going to drive speakers from a TT2, I don't know, because you have to decide. There is a lot to look into. You want speakers that don't go thin at low volumes, if you mean to use low volumes. It means you will have to try your speaker choices by audition, or trust opinion.

Threre's the new KEF LS50 META, or the R3 to start at with passive speakers. Gonna be a lot of leg work auditioning all options though.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #13,624 of 18,907
If you have a small room, the ATC might work. In a small room, one thing you can't do is crank volume. It depends on how the ATC handle low volumes. Whereas music at lower volumes in smallrooms still sounds complete.

I have read a few times that actives are the way to go until budget is less contrained. Apparently you get more for your money in actives than you do with separates in mid to lower budget options. No idea what the cross-over point is.

For me both separates and actives have their merits. Separates being upgradable as you decide later.

If you're going to drive speakers from a TT2, I don't know, because you have to decide. There is a lot to look into. You want speakers that don't go thin at low volumes, if you mean to use low volumes. It means you will have to try your speaker choices by audition, or trust opinion.

Threre's the new KEF LS50 META, or the R3 to start at with passive speakers. Gonna be a lot of leg work auditioning all options though.
I think I’ll go the high efficiency route, as I watched a review of atc 19 active that said they lost the magic when close to walls, which is how I’d have to use them.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #13,626 of 18,907
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #13,627 of 18,907
Would it be worth putting a iFI Purifier 3 in the chain between a laptop across USB to the Hugo TT2?

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #13,628 of 18,907
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #13,629 of 18,907
I would like to give a chance to tt2 as a speaker amp. Do you guys recommend any speaker to pair with tt2 ? Small room 4 mt max distance.
I think I’ll go the high efficiency route, as I watched a review of atc 19 active that said they lost the magic when close to walls, which is how I’d have to use them.

I should receive a set of custom made XLR-3p to female-banana adapters on Monday next week. I bought those to test if/how the TT2 can drive my Diapason Adamantes. They are relatively efficient speakers yet don't have crazy high sensitivity (91dB) - will be interesting to see whether or not the TT2 is capable enough. Will let you guys know how it goes! :)

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #13,630 of 18,907
Thanks to a Head-Fi member, I am a proud owner of my first Chord, the TT2 :) I have not had the chance to settle down with it yet and hope to do so over the weekend. Looking at this beautiful bit of kit, I am wondering if my aging laptop which is supplying content from Tidal across USB is in any way a weak link? Its transmitting digital signal across to the TT2, so I cant think how it could degrade the performance, but is it likely to be an inhibiting factor?

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #13,631 of 18,907
Mine is still up for sale if any members are looking for one. 😂

I found a decent streamer improved the sound. Enjoy!

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #13,632 of 18,907
Thanks to a Head-Fi member, I am a proud owner of my first Chord, the TT2 :) I have not had the chance to settle down with it yet and hope to do so over the weekend. Looking at this beautiful bit of kit, I am wondering if my aging laptop which is supplying content from Tidal across USB is in any way a weak link? Its transmitting digital signal across to the TT2, so I cant think how it could degrade the performance, but is it likely to be an inhibiting factor?
Don’t worry about it, enjoy your new toy for a while as any tweaks will be very minor really.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #13,633 of 18,907
Marcus2704, you need to get your laptop out of your listening chain. I went to using a Roon Rev B music server, but there are many different options available to you.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #13,634 of 18,907
Would that be of benefit to me in that mainly I only stream Tidal? I do have a lot of FLAC etc, but Tidal is what I use for the vast amount of time.

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #13,635 of 18,907
Would that be of benefit to me in that mainly I only stream Tidal? I do have a lot of FLAC etc, but Tidal is what I use for the vast amount of time.
If you mainly use Tidal, it seems to me that TT2 would be doing lots of noise filtering for you. Quite an educational video and why I shy away from Tidal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back