Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 11, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #13,471 of 19,009
I looked over that streamer. However someone mentioned recently that it can only send 96KHz over optical out.

I have some 192KHz so I would not buy it given what I was told.

Are you not getting the same? Is there more than one version and maybe 192KHz from a newer model?
I have a node 2 and a node 2i and they’ve both been able to send 192 out to both my mojo and TT2.

Are you sure it was optical OUT and not IN? When I was buying my Node 2i (don't have it anymore so can't test) I remember reading that Toslink IN had some issues/limitations, but not about Toslink OUT, but I could be remembering it wrong.
That certainly can be. The optical in is a little wonky. I have a bluesound device on each TV in the house (Node 2i, Pulse Soundbar and Pulse Mini 2) and use optical in on two of them. First it is the 3.5mm sort and is super sentive. I had been using some of those adapters but they wear out over time and stop working so they have to be replaced. I literally thought optical was broken on the Pulse Mini 2 for a few years because it didn’t work with 3 adapters I tried, but it turns out it works fine. I just recently changed over to KabelDirekt cables (I think Rob recommended them) and they have a native 3.5 end on one side. I hope that holds up better.

For those thinking about a node. If you don’t care about Airplay 2, just find yourself a used node 2 (non-i) for a good price. That is really the only difference.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #13,472 of 19,009
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #13,473 of 19,009
Apr 11, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #13,474 of 19,009
i have one of these and it's very impressive for the money, i think you'll find it a step up from basic raspberry pi, its on par with the very good allo usb bridge signature
My only issue with RPi (so Pi2AES as well as Allo USB Bridge Signature) is that Airplay sometimes crashes. I feel like Roon (RAAT) is implemented better, where as Airplay is done with shairport-sync (open source). When I still had my Bluesound Node 2i, there I had no issues with Airplay, but I am guessing it was because they actually paid Apple licensing fees (and used Apple's proprietary libraries).

So how do you find Airplay's performance on your SMS200? If I remember correctly, it also uses shairport-sync and as far as I know micro/ultra rendu uses it as well. Or you don't use Airplay at all? I like using it for videos/movies, for music I go with Roon (RAAT) streaming.

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #13,475 of 19,009
My only issue with RPi (so Pi2AES as well as Allo USB Bridge Signature) is that Airplay sometimes crashes. I feel like Roon (RAAT) is implemented better, where as Airplay is done with shairport-sync (open source). When I still had my Bluesound Node 2i, there I had no issues with Airplay, but I am guessing it was because they actually paid Apple licensing fees (and used Apple's proprietary libraries).

So how do you find Airplay's performance on your SMS200? If I remember correctly, it also uses shairport-sync and as far as I know micro/ultra rendu uses it as well. Or you don't use Airplay at all? I like using it for videos/movies, for music I go with Roon (RAAT) streaming.

I avoid any sort of WiFi connection in favour of hardwire, if I can, so apologies I hadn’t really considered airplay. If you are using roon is it possible for you to connect to your core via network and Ethernet. If you can you’ll get better performance both sonically and in terms of connection.

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #13,476 of 19,009
I avoid any sort of WiFi connection in favour of hardwire, if I can, so apologies I hadn’t really considered airplay. If you are using roon is it possible for you to connect to your core via network and Ethernet. If you can you’ll get better performance both sonically and in terms of connection.
Airplay is Apple's protocol to transfer audio/video over network, it does not care if you connect via Ethernet (RJ45) or Wifi, as it is a digital protocol, the same way as Roon's RAAT. My RPi is connected to my switch via RJ45 ethernet, I do not use WiFi, but using WiFi for this exact example would not change anything, as Airplay is really just the way Apple devices (iOS/Mac) transfer audio/video to network attached speakers/streamers once both of your devices are connected to your local network. It differs from other technologies like Bluetooth, which are used for both radio & data transfer. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #13,477 of 19,009
Thank you for your words of encouragement, I do sometimes feel like I am rushing things, as if I was playing "audiophile speed run" game, haha.

No worries. I need to focus on my own build so will check back here in summer when I start assembling. Have fun.

You can check out Ray Dude's six years of progression (stages) here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/profile/27005-ray-dude/

He's currently at a $30,000 music server, but you can time travel his old posts to see how he has progressed.

I'm using similar features as his $30,000 music server (industrial RAM, low latency, super capacitors, etc.), but on a shoestring budget.

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/sgm-extreme-music-server/

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #13,478 of 19,009
For a bus that’s very fast

Teslas hit 0-60 in 2.3 seconds with the same type of batteries internally I'm using in my HiFi build. It's even the same battery manufacturer, but they use the flat plates.

On top of that I'm using about 2600F of Super Capacitors as a reservoir for my NUC. I would apply 2600F to HMS if I go that route. I believe the TT2 has about 60F total of Super Capacitors. My clocks will have about 650F total.

supercaps.png

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #13,479 of 19,009
EDIT2: I'm thinking a low end NUC (even tho low-end they are highly praised) w/ optical and batteries may work because the HMS works as a kind of a reclocker thus negating a need to reclock the optical signal. The signal conversion will take place within the HMS similarly if one reclocks the signal. You can just keep your system as is and just switch back and forth between a secondary NUC optical endpoint and your current USB source.

Just PM if you still want to pursue this route. I need to focus on my own build, so won't by following any threads until the Summer.

Apr 11, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #13,480 of 19,009
I'm using a FPGA reclocker buffer similar to this, but I have the option to upgrade to military-use clock not standard hifi clocks (okay, but not state of the art):

Interesting. Is it one of the denafrips or what else?

So what I'm currently thinking is a battery-powered low latency NUC endpoint USB to HMS build might be all you need. If defeats the purpose of you wanting to experience optical, but with your nice system it may not be ideal to throw optical in the loop. Unless you are looking for a secondary source optical system?

Why do you think that adding optical to the chain might not be ideal?..is that not supposed to a good alternative to USB, considering that the goal is to prevent RFI to travel from my streamer (the MacMini) through the rest of the chain?

Thanks! :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #13,481 of 19,009
Airplay is Apple's protocol to transfer audio/video over network, it does not care if you connect via Ethernet (RJ45) or Wifi, as it is a digital protocol, the same way as . My RPi is connected to my switch via RJ45 ethernet, I do not use WiFi, but using WiFi for this exact example would not change anything, as Airplay is really just the way Apple devices (iOS/Mac) transfer audio/video to network attached speakers/streamers once both of your devices are connected to your local network. It differs from other technologies like Bluetooth, which are used for both radio & data transfer. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

i'm a lifelong mac user so I get how airplay works, but you are limited to cd resolution and i agree airplay is awesome for convenience but it doesnt sound that great compared a hardwired connection. Sorry dont worry i was just trying to understand why not having airplay was going to be an issue for you if your using ROON and pi2aes player feeding your TT2 as you'll definitely get more out of you awesome DAC and equally awesome headphones if you go with a wired connection.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #13,482 of 19,009
Interesting. Is it one of the denafrips or what else?

Why do you think that adding optical to the chain might not be ideal?..is that not supposed to a good alternative to USB, considering that the goal is to prevent RFI to travel from my streamer (the MacMini) through the rest of the chain?

Thanks! :)

It's situational. In the case with a HMS, the digital signal is going to get re-processed no matter if it's USB or optical. Also with a low latency realtime kernel build, you cannot optimise optical. If you run the NUC on battery, you should achieve similar results because you are off of mains. But you have to keep the NUC minimal. Just Industrial RAM and a USB boot drive. Some also remove the USB boot drive because having anything USB causes harm. So the realtime OS runs fine without the USB after it loads everything into RAM (ramroot). Don't install any other hardware or attach USB devices. mSATA, SATA, etc. cause harm.

To get to the HMS, you will need some type of optical USB solution.

I plan to use a PCIe Optical SFP transceiver (NUC side) and receiver to get to my USB -> I2S. On the receving end, it doesn't matter what you plug into USB. USB drives, DACs, etc. Doesn't matter you moved away the noise from the source and have fiber optic to break the loop. I too wanted optical, but since it's going to get re-processed by the reclocker, it's just more pragmatic to use an optimised optical USB battery-powered solution. But my endpoint will be optical to Hugo2.

I'm also considering something simple like this:

Monoprice SlimRun USB-A to USB-A Female 3.0 Extension Cable - Fiber Optic, Black, 32.8ft
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377

optical.png

Maybe pair with a Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter. To me, USB cables add color, with USB PCB it should be quite neutral.

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

pcb.png

Note: I haven't checked if the fiber optic USB does VBUS yet. That would be a dealbreaker with Chord DACs.

You want to move away anything that can cause noise away form the source. I'm also going to run my WIFI antenna far away from the NUC if I need WIFI. I need to check if a USB fiber optic extension cable is enough or if I need something more robust. The PCIe USB optical is low processing, non-USB but more complexity.

I don't know if a fiber optic usb extension has the same RFI rejecting properties as a fiber optic toslink yet, but crossing fingers they work in a similar capacity just different terminals.

I haven't thought about what I'm going to do yet until the summer since I have a lot of soldering of Super Capacitors until then.

But as long a you take careful minimalist steps in architecting your build, I think it should be okay. Especially since NUCs are easy to battery power for hours which is the first step.

Just PM if you decide to build. I need to hunt down parts, decide if I want to SuperCap my Hugo2 (Hugo2TT) and manual labor (soldering, wiring, etc.) so need to focus on those issues and not follow threads. If you didn't have a HMS, then I may have leaned towards recommending an optical solution as that's my preference.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #13,483 of 19,009
@Outroduction your posts are always so informational, nice to have you on the forum! I've seen your posts mention this project of yours but I never saw where you summarized what it was that you're working on. I think you're trying to build a NUC based streamer run on batteries, is that correct? If you run optical from the NUC to the MScaler, you wouldn't be passing any noise so is there a reason you're focusing so much on the NUC side? Are you trying to get a perfectly noise free USB connection from NUC to MScaler instead? Just trying to understand what you're up to...thanks!

Apr 12, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #13,484 of 19,009
Sorry dont worry i was just trying to understand why not having airplay was going to be an issue for you if your using ROON and pi2aes player feeding your TT2 as you'll definitely get more out of you awesome DAC and equally awesome headphones if you go with a wired connection.
Absolutely agree, and that's what I am doing when I can. Roon's RAAT does not limit me CD quality, and works quite reliably. My original post was more referring to having issues with Airplay when shairport sync open source implementation of Airplay is used and was wondering if anyone else has the same issue (device disconnecting) and if this issue is only on RPi or also on other products that use shairport sync (micro/ultra rendu, or sotm sms). But yes, I only use it when watching a movie or playing youtuve, so convenience only and in those situations CD quality bitrate is enough. Better than Hugo TT2 Bluetooth that's for sure, just annoying music dropouts are making it unreliable for me and then I have to plug to HTT2 directly with an USB cable form my mac/ipad, so that I can finish the movie.

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #13,485 of 19,009
AA4BF5A4-6594-44CA-AF94-0F13DC71DC5F.jpeg

I put my beloved on a pedestal (bamboo laptop stand, fits perfectly). Is this alright?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back