Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #13,276 of 19,009
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #13,277 of 19,009
I’d really suggest a PI2AES is you want to look into streamers at a reasonable price or if you just want USB you can just go with just the PI. The nice thing about a raspberry PI is you can always find other uses for them if you end up later upgrading to a streamer but I honestly feel no need to. I did try USB vs optical and still prefer optical but haven’t gotten my TT onto battery power yet. These are really easy to put together, cheap and the software just basically copies to a SD card and the OS and all software is fully upgradeable and a lot of it is free. You can also independently power these boards off of battery easily.

I am a really big fan of this setup and did notice a good improvement and I personally know just because I was going to get rid of Roon and go back to the free software volumio until I figured out how to force Roon to let the PI generate the music. This means I was hearing the difference between the PI generating the signal on battery and my iMac and now I’m paying for Roon which is definitely not what I wanted to do lol. To me the reason for this is cables, batteries and placement can prevent noise from getting into the signal but once noise is in the signal there isn’t much you can do about it and laptops with massive processors fast IO and all of that generate a significant amount of their own noise regardless of if they are on battery or not where the PI strips down to only needed processes and doesn’t generate that noise to begin with.

The TT still sounds awesome but I did slow down and take a few days off from listening just kind of naturally happens if I’m listening a lot. At first I feel like the depth really struck me of the soundstage. Now it’s more the detail and texture of bass notes and distortion that I’m really noticing and enjoying.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #13,278 of 19,009
I've just received an offer of £1,000 for my less than 4-month old TT2 on here. Lucky me! 🤣

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #13,279 of 19,009
I have tested many different ways to play music using computers, renderers and servers. I can only share my experience and unfortunately both the hardware and the software IMO affect how good it sounds. I really wish that was not the case and that any computer would give me the same SQ. Speaking of computers, a dedicated computer / NUC with USB and LAN cards from, for example, JCAT and with dedicated PSU is basically the same as an audiophile server in how it is optimized and sounds acoustically.

I'm not trying to convert anyone, but since I know that everyone who hangs out here is looking to maximize the sound and what a SQ difference a good server/dedicated computer/renderer can make, I still want to say - why not borrow one and try at home in peace with TT2 and your favorite music. Just do not forget to arrange in advance that you will be allowed to send it back if it does not lift the sound.

Mar 31, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #13,280 of 19,009
I’d caution anybody looking into moving to a dedicated streamer to really proceed cautiously. There are what appear to be some good choices, but I’m not interested in buying a “here today, gone tomorrow” device until the marketplace takes a clearer direction. I am very happy with Audirvana from my MacBook connected to the TT2/M-Scaler using optical and powering the M-Scaler with a battery. Qobuz is likely my next move but beyond that, it’s currently wait and see for me!
I get it,
However, in my opinion, the transmission from the macbook Pro via optical (Toslink) has the limitation that the files cannot be greater than 192kbps, so what happens with my 384kbps files (which can be transferred by USB cable) So I wonder, is there a lot of difference in hearing quality between optical transmission versus usb?

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #13,282 of 19,009
I get it,
However, in my opinion, the transmission from the macbook Pro via optical (Toslink) has the limitation that the files cannot be greater than 192kbps, so what happens with my 384kbps files (which can be transferred by USB cable) So I wonder, is there a lot of difference in hearing quality between optical transmission versus usb?
I don't have anything over 192k, where are you getting those super duper hi res 384k files from? You'd have to use usb for those.

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #13,284 of 19,009
I wanted to post what @Rob Watts posted in his Watts Up thread recently:

...if you use Wave Stream it's pretty much 100% effective in that an isolated battery with the M scaler fed with optical sounds and stock BNC identical to Wave added and stock PSU.

...[MScaler] injects current into the DAC via mains/ground loops. Sever the loops [via battery], or raise the ground impedance of the BNC cables by adding 2GHz ferrites, eliminates the issue. But remember this is the top layer of icing on the cake!

If I understand him correctly, he's basically confirming that the Wave Stream cables are almost as effective in getting rid of RF/EMI as powering your system with an isolated battery and an optical connection. The optical/battery powered solution being the baseline/reference of no RF/EMI...

So, there you have it. If you want to remove any RF/EMI from your MScaler/TT2, you can go either route. The battery solution is MUCH cheaper though it has some drawbacks like charging periodically, but it is 100% effective because it breaks any ground loops.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #13,285 of 19,009
Streamers are generally plugged in which makes them more likely to introduce noise. Nothing will introduce less noise than a laptop running off battery outputting over optical.

All streamers are computers. There is input, buffers, decoding and output. Audirvana is great at all those things. Run it on a laptop, unplugged, local cache of files, Wi-Fi off, lights off, into a Chord (on a battery). You aren’t going to improve sound quality from there, I don’t think.

It isn’t the most convenient, though. I have two streamers (cheapish bluesound nodes) for dedicated listening areas and love them. I just did a trial of audirvana and found it great. All the stuff above is highly configurable to get the best quality. Thinking about dedicating one of the old macs from a stack I have and making the purchase, just to have another option.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #13,286 of 19,009
All streamers are computers. There is input, buffers, decoding and output. Audirvana is great at all those things. Run it on a laptop, unplugged, local cache of files, Wi-Fi off, lights off, into a Chord (on a battery). You aren’t going to improve sound quality from there, I don’t think.
Until the battery runs out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #13,287 of 19,009
Until the battery runs out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
My battery is VERY powerful! It lasts for 20+ hours with my M-Scaler and I have another to swap out (takes a few seconds). I’d rather listen to “noise free” content:gs1000smile:
05EBECC7-FEF9-41A2-984E-376F45ED1EF2.jpeg

Attachments

• E39A025A-8098-4B35-A9FE-E68E52ABAA81.png
    E39A025A-8098-4B35-A9FE-E68E52ABAA81.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #13,288 of 19,009
My battery is VERY powerful! It lasts for 20+ hours with my M-Scaler and I have another to swap out (takes a few seconds). I’d rather listen to “noise free” content:gs1000smile:05EBECC7-FEF9-41A2-984E-376F45ED1EF2.jpeg
What type of battery do you use? I'm looking to get this Jackery E1000 for outdoors usage (RV and camping) and it'll be good to have around the house as well. Now all this noise talk has me curious about trying some components or even the entire rig with it and see/hear if it makes a difference. Noise has not been an issue I've had to deal with.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #13,289 of 19,009
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #13,290 of 19,009
What type of battery do you use? I'm looking to get this Jackery E1000 for outdoors usage (RV and camping) and it'll be good to have around the house as well. Now all this noise talk has me curious about trying some components or even the entire rig with it and see/hear if it makes a difference. Noise has not been an issue I've had to deal with.
Here’s a link to the battery and also the connector from the battery to the M-Scaler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085PYYX2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WKB965H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@ra990 recommended this one. I really hadn’t intended to use it “full time” for the M-Scaler; there are annoying intermittent power outages so I actually intended the main use as a source for a lamp and charging for devices. Once I finally connected to the M-Scaler, there was simply no going back! I’ve since purchased a second and rotate them. One is always fully charged so it’s also ready for the inevitable power outage. Give the Jackery a try. I think you will be very surprised at the result.

Edit: I didn’t think noise could possibly be an issue. I’m in a rural area with one power line and cell towers are pretty far away. I just assumed RFI should be minimal; I was wrong!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back