Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #13,216 of 19,009
ra990, I assiduously researched and reviewed every possible high end BNC cable that was available to connect my HMS/TT2 combo to get the best sound quality. If I’m way off base please let me know.
Cool, I have nothing against buying overpriced cables if they make an audible difference. In the digital domain, I'm very skeptical about cables - as long as they're well made, have the correct impedance, good shielding, you're really getting to an extreme case of diminished returns when comparing them to anything claiming to completely transform what you hear. Maybe the WAVE cables do a much better job of RF/EMI elimination than most others but several people have made them sound like they're absolutely essential when at best all they could be doing is eliminating 100% of RF/EMI - that's it. The effects of RF/EMI might be more pronounced on some systems than others, so I'd at least consider if this is a source of any issue in your system before just buying them instead of some other well made, but reasonably priced, BNC cable.

On the other hand...if you have money to spare, do it! And send me a pair if you don't mind :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #13,217 of 19,009
But the Mscaler is not a DAC. It's an upsampler to put in front of a DAC. My guess is that the digital domain in the TT2 will get transferred to a digital power amp before the analog conversion. That's the gist of what I'm getting from reading about how digital amps differ from analog amps. Check out the power ratings on these digital amps! Insane...

DPA 8800.png

Studiomaster HX4-1800.png
My knowledge isn’t super fresh, but the pulse array handles the D to A conversation in rob’s designs.

The current devices: mojo, qutest, Hugo, tt, DAVE are all capable of upsampling via the taps and wta of their fpga and outputting analog via their pulse array.

The mscaler/blu2 are just upsamplers with 1M taps (as you say)

I figure the DX amps are just killer pulse arrays with little or no upsampling/filtering.

m-scaler + DX amp = the ultimate made up of two discreet components.

with the TT2 you have options:
- upgrade your upsampling with the mscaler and keep your pulse array for dac + amp
- upgrade the pulse array with the DX amp and keep your 98K taps for upsampling

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #13,219 of 19,009
Cool, I have nothing against buying overpriced cables if they make an audible difference. In the digital domain, I'm very skeptical about cables - as long as they're well made, have the correct impedance, good shielding, you're really getting to an extreme case of diminished returns when comparing them to anything claiming to completely transform what you hear. Maybe the WAVE cables do a much better job of RF/EMI elimination than most others but several people have made them sound like they're absolutely essential when at best all they could be doing is eliminating 100% of RF/EMI - that's it. The effects of RF/EMI might be more pronounced on some systems than others, so I'd at least consider if this is a source of any issue in your system before just buying them instead of some other well made, but reasonably priced, BNC cable.

On the other hand...if you have money to spare, do it! And send me a pair if you don't mind :)
ra990, what I did was spare no expense to get the best components for “my” listening enjoyment, and not anybody else’s. Some people like a lot of salt on their popcorn, and others would prefer more butter. Do you dip your chewy pretzels 🥨 in mustard or melted cheese 🫕? Everyone knows that blue cars are faster than white cars. 😀 When the guy who designed the M Scaler, a man who can have any cable builder on the planet make him a pair of BNC’s, decides to use one particular BNC cable to get the best sound out of his product, that to me is a very strong endorsement.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #13,220 of 19,009
ra990, I assiduously researched and reviewed every possible high end BNC cable that was available to connect my HMS/TT2 combo to get the best sound quality. If I’m way off base please let me know.
I’d suggest you are both “right”. There seems to be plenty of evidence that the WAVE cables greatly diminish RFI but they are very pricey. @ra990 is using batteries to power both the M-Scaler and TT2 and (based on my experience with the identical batteries) it greatly diminishes RFI for significantly less while also solving/mitigating any issues that may arise from Chords questionable power supply. The batteries are much cheaper but have to be recharged on a regular basis, take up room and require additional steps (minimal) to use. I purchased one of the batteries because it has other uses (frequent power outages here) but once I tried it with the M-Scaler, there was no going back. I bought a second battery and swap them out as needed since I’m only using it for the M-Scaler to mitigate RFI. I’m using Moon Audio BNC cables and am happy with them.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #13,221 of 19,009

ra990, what I did was spare no expense to get the best components for “my” listening enjoyment, and not anybody else’s. Some people like a lot of salt on their popcorn, and others would prefer more butter. Do you dip your chewy pretzels 🥨 in mustard or melted cheese 🫕? Everyone knows that blue cars are faster than white cars. 😀 When the guy who designed the M Scaler, a man who can have any cable builder on the planet make him a pair of BNC’s, decides to use one particular BNC cable to get the best sound out of his product, that to me is a very strong endorsement.
Yep...you are both still right! Red cars are the fastest however...

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #13,225 of 19,009
This is an updated version of the same review published about a year ago but the comparisons to the Bartok is good to read. I've read similar comments elsewhere about how the HMS/TT2 combo compares to the Bartok, like this one:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...ord-electronics-hugo-m-scaler-hugo-tt-2-r781/

I'm also very intrigued by TT2's BNC (DX) outs that will connect to a future Chord digital amp. Whatever it is, I know I'll want it! I also wish Chord would develop a server/streamer with BNC outs that can connect direct to the HMS's BNC inputs. If I knew something like that was coming, I'd hold off on getting the Roon Nucleus and continue using the MBP with Audirvana, which is working out just fine. And end-to-end Chord solution would be the best. I'm such a shameless Chord fanboy!
Orlok, for gods sake please get rid of your MacBook Pro 💻 as your music streamer. I asked Bill Soderholm the owner of Stereoland in Bloomington, Minnesota, a man who I have been buying audio gear from since 1976, if I needed to ditch my MBP for a dedicated streamer, and he emphatically said yes I needed to do it immediately, if not sooner. I couldn’t be happier because the ROON Nucleus is computer that does one thing exceedingly well. It’s like going from old school incandescent headlights to using halogen ones.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #13,227 of 19,009
Orlok, for gods sake please get rid of your MacBook Pro 💻 as your music streamer. I asked Bill Soderholm the owner of Stereoland in Bloomington, Minnesota, a man who I have been buying audio gear from since 1976, if I needed to ditch my MBP for a dedicated streamer, and he emphatically said yes I needed to do it immediately, if not sooner. I couldn’t be happier because the ROON Nucleus is computer that does one thing exceedingly well. It’s like going from old school incandescent headlights to using halogen ones.
There you go...you are going to cost me a fortune! Still using a 2014 MacBook Pro with Audirvana and optical out; I’ll buy a streamer when it dies which I hope isn’t anytime soon...

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #13,228 of 19,009
There you go...you are going to cost me a fortune! Still using a 2014 MacBook Pro with Audirvana and optical out; I’ll buy a streamer when it dies which I hope isn’t anytime soon...
I haven't told you how much better a dedicated streamer is?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back