Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 29, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #13,201 of 19,009
I'm also very intrigued by TT2's BNC (DX) outs that will connect to a future Chord digital amp. Whatever it is, I know I'll want it!

I *think* it is straightforward to piece together what it will be. That would be something along the lines of a TT2 minus the 98K taps which get bypassed when the mscaler is in play. Likely the analog output will be even more robust than the TT2 and hopefully have a DAC as refined or more so than DAVE with something similar to its 20-element pulse array (a boy can dream!).

Will it have a headphone out, though??? I sure hope!

The follow up to this on my wishlist would be a Hugo-sized battery-powered mscaler. I know this will happen because it is what Rob really wants and maybe will be doable with future FPGA iterations, if they run a bit cooler.

mscaler + DX amp for main system
mscaler2go + Hugo2/3 or mojo2 for away from main system.

Start saving!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #13,202 of 19,009
I can imagine her face if she knew what my system cost. 🤣

I would definitely hear the words "well, if you can afford to buy that for yourself then you can afford to get me that Cartier bracelet that I keep dropping hints about".

Maybe I should get it for her before she figures out what this cost - get ahead of the game and occupy the high ground. Or I could upgrade my power supply instead...

Decisions, decisions... :thinking:

I probably need to earn more money. 🤣
Doesn’t she work............:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #13,203 of 19,009
I *think* it is straightforward to piece together what it will be. That would be something along the lines of a TT2 minus the 98K taps which get bypassed when the mscaler is in play. Likely the analog output will be even more robust than the TT2 and hopefully have a DAC as refined or more so than DAVE with something similar to its 20-element pulse array (a boy can dream!).

The follow up to this on my wishlist would be a Hugo-sized battery-powered mscaler. I know this will happen because it is what Rob really wants and maybe will be doable with future FPGA iterations, if they run a bit cooler.

Start saving!
This all sounds super delicious! I also thought about a mobile Mscaler - basically the current HMS/TT2 in a portable package like the current Hugo 2.

As for the "DX Amp", whatever it is, I'm sure it will be an incredible product. Chord doesn't do minor incremental upgrades. When they come out with something, it's on the verge of revolutionary.

Yes, you can bet I've earmarked a significant part of my future budget to these future Chord products!

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #13,204 of 19,009

Start saving!
aut0maticdan, what I don’t understand is why audiophiles won’t just get the HMS/TT2 paring with WAVE STORM BNC cables and be done with it? Rob Watts and Nick Bacon are not stupid people. There are limits to the available capabilities of digital music audio perception using ones and zeros thru electronic equipment. This doesn’t make any sense. 😊

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #13,205 of 19,009

Actually I'm doubting myself now. I forgot the DX outs are on the TT2. Back to the drawling board. I'm sure I'll get this figured out before Rob.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #13,206 of 19,009
aut0maticdan, what I don’t understand is why audiophiles won’t just get the HMS/TT2 paring with WAVE STORM BNC cables and be done with it? Rob Watts and Nick Bacon are not stupid people.
I must be missing a joke here! I don't get it. I'm sure it is funny, though. :dt880smile:

I think plenty of audiophiles will stop at TT2 + mscaler. It is a hell of a stopping point! I 'only' have a TT2 and mojo and don't know what my next play is. I'm def mscaler-curious, but have no interest in new DACs, not even DAVE. The minimalist in me doesn't even want to add the mscaler and wants me to get a pair of efficient monitors and hook them right up to the headphone out on the TT2. I can use my 16 watt Cayin to power the speakers for vinyl. This would be an acceptable end-game for me.

EDIT: I WOULD find a mscaler2go pretty tough to resist if it could plug into my TT2 and a portable.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #13,207 of 19,009
Yes, it was the TT2's BNC (DX) outputs I was referring to. Obviously, it's going to some sort of a "digital" power amp and I would be very interested in that to supplement or replace the TToby to drive Buchardt S400 speakers, the SR1a and the 1266 TC (and maybe even Susvara - haha - if another $7K fell from the sky!).

And I learned about the Wave Storm BNC for the first time here today. Sigh~ Another item I hadn't budgeted for and which I must now make room for... How much better do you think this would be over the MA Silver Dragon BNCs? Man, I need to stay from here! :L3000:

https://positive-feedback.com/revie...ave-high-fidelity-storm-reference-bnc-cables/

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #13,208 of 19,009
Yes, it was the TT2's BNC (DX) outputs I was referring to. Obviously, it's going to some sort of a "digital" power amp and I would be very interested in that to supplement or replace the TToby to drive Buchardt S400 speakers, the SR1a and the 1266 TC (and maybe even Susvara - haha - if another $7K fell from the sky!).

And I learned about the Wave Storm BNC for the first time here today. Sigh~ Another item I hadn't budgeted for and which I must now make room for... How much better do you think this would be over the MA Silver Dragon BNCs? Man, I need to stay from here! :L3000:

https://positive-feedback.com/revie...ave-high-fidelity-storm-reference-bnc-cables/
@bpcans just made this exact switch.

I bought mine and plugged them in day one of owning an m-scaler so can't help with comparisons lol

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #13,209 of 19,009

I bought mine and plugged them in day one of owning an m-scaler so can't help with comparisons lol
Haha. That's pretty funny. Exactly my situation. I actually have the upgraded cables arrive and ready to go before the before the big boys arrive.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #13,210 of 19,009

With my money, I'd buy 2m of 75ohm BNC from bluejeans and call it a day. Not knocking the higher end cables, but honestly, RF and finicky BNC cables are part of what makes me not want to add the 'stress' of the m-scaler. I kind of hate the m-scaler thread, well, the parts I've read which I think I left off somewhere around 2018 when @Amberlamps got his m-scaler! Didn't feel much more could be said after that! :L3000:

It is still possible this DX amp could work directly off the m-scaler, which makes more sense to me as a product. Maybe it can also utilize just the TT2 taps as an alternative and that's why it has the DX outs. I obviously don't know. However, once signal leaves the pulse array of the TT2, it is analog, right? Has anyone been crazy enough to try outputting DX from the TT2 into a mojo or Hugo to see what happens? Were you able to count the taps???

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #13,211 of 19,009
With my money, I'd buy 2m of 75ohm BNC from bluejeans and call it a day. Not knocking the higher end cables, but honestly, RF and finicky BNC cables are part of what makes me not want to add the 'stress' of the m-scaler. I kind of hate the m-scaler thread, well, the parts I've read which I think I left off somewhere around 2018 when @Amberlamps got his m-scaler! Didn't feel much more could be said after that! :L3000:

It is still possible this DX amp could work directly off the m-scaler, which makes more sense to me as a product. Maybe it can also utilize just the TT2 taps as an alternative and that's why it has the DX outs. I obviously don't know. However, once signal leaves the pulse array of the TT2, it is analog, right? Has anyone been crazy enough to try outputting DX from the TT2 into a mojo or Hugo to see what happens? Were you able to count the taps???
Yeah, I'm going to stay put on these cables. I do hear differences in cables but I don't want to spend my time analyzing things on that front.

I guess we'll see what Rob comes up with. I have heard about digital power amps and I guess this article explains the basics:

https://www.eetimes.com/the-sound-of-change-from-analog-to-digital-audio-amplifiers/#

There are digital power amplifiers out there but it seems mainly for pro audio (live sound reinforcement) usage at this point in time. Essentially, these amps pack mega amounts of power in small packages but I guess Rob is working on an audiophile version worthy of the Chord name.

And, no, I would not want to try running the DX out of the TT2 to plug into anything else. Probably won't damage anything but seems nothing will really work.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #13,212 of 19,009

So, I realize you trusted everyone on this forum who told you that those cables were essential or whatever, but you didn't even give yourself a chance to compare with any other cables before putting down a ridiculous amount of money on digital cables...I would discourage this. Buy any cable you want, but just make sure at least that there's a difference for all that cash!

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #13,213 of 19,009
So, I realize you trusted everyone on this forum who told you that those cables were essential or whatever, but you didn't even give yourself a chance to compare with any other cables before putting down a ridiculous amount of money on digital cables...I would discourage this. Buy any cable you want, but just make sure at least that there's a difference for all that cash!
Yes read this forum for months plus the chord group on Facebook and various other forums . I didn't just decide it overnight lol :relaxed:

I originally did plan to try the original cables for weeks and months before upgrading but impatience got the better of me lol

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #13,214 of 19,009

But the Mscaler is not a DAC. It's an upsampler to put in front of a DAC. My guess is that the digital domain in the TT2 will get transferred to a digital power amp before the analog conversion. That's the gist of what I'm getting from reading about how digital amps differ from analog amps. Check out the power ratings on these digital amps! Insane...

DPA 8800.png

Studiomaster HX4-1800.png

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #13,215 of 19,009
ra990, I assiduously researched and reviewed every possible high end BNC cable that was available to connect my HMS/TT2 combo to get the best sound quality. If I’m way off base please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back