Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #12,226 of 18,905
Oh! I have a GS-X Mini. Can you tell me a little about how the TT2 and Qutest sound while connected to it? Keep in mind that I'm very curious about how they sound with the Mini, not as stand alone units. I'm wondering how Mini gels with them.
The gsx mini is truly a great amplifier. If It matches up well with your favorite phones I think you should love it with the TT2.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #12,228 of 18,905
When looking at speaker stats, how would one know which efficient speakers the tt2 could power. And via what cables would it power them with?

Normally the sensitivity and the impedance are the guidelines.
But there are other important things to consider, normally we don’t know the curve impedance, another thing is the size and mass of the woofer, etc...

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #12,229 of 18,905
When looking at speaker stats, how would one know which efficient speakers the tt2 could power. And via what cables would it power them with?
I use active speakers, which I believe are one of the best purchases I have made, and basic XLR cables.

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #12,231 of 18,905
This may have been mentioned somewhere in this enormous thread, apologies if so... I sent a question to Chord today about being able to drive speakers directly from the TT2, and received a reply stating, whilst they are aware of Rob's comments, they don't encourage it and doing it will invalidate your warranty.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #12,232 of 18,905
This may have been mentioned somewhere in this enormous thread, apologies if so... I sent a question to Chord today about being able to drive speakers directly from the TT2, and received a reply stating, whilst they are aware of Rob's comments, they don't encourage it and doing it will invalidate your warranty.
For use with speakers I'd think of it as a pre-amp. I use it straight into active speakers and it's great.

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #12,233 of 18,905
Yes I had, my brother in law has this unit. I was visiting him both with TT2 and later with the Dave.
I don't want to tell you how to listen to music or how you like your music I respect every person and his opinion.

Just my final two cents:
Read all the information that Rob Watts is giving here on forum about noise about distortion about noise floor modulation etc.
Do listening tests, reevaluate your thinking and your assumptions. You will discover how a lot of the things can fool you that unit A is better more transparent more detailed than unit B.
I was the same going blinded in circle of constant changes in favor of balancing my system, once it was too dark once it was too hot in the treble and after changes it was again muddy in bass and piercing in highs again - causing listening fatigue after just hour of listening to the music. Constant nightmare. Not anymore.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #12,234 of 18,905
With the utopia and the Vérité closed they are certainly better through my Zana Deux tube amp. They open up substantially and have better frequency response at both ends then coming directly out of the TT2. I think that has more to do with the higher output Impedance of the tube amp. The low output impedance of the TT2’s Headphone Amplifier just crushes the sound of those headphones.

This speaks volumes, in my opinion, about the differences experienced. As previously mentioned, horses for courses...

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #12,235 of 18,905
Yes I had, my brother in law has this unit. I was visiting him both with TT2 and later with the Dave.
I don't want to tell you how to listen to music or how you like your music I respect every person and his opinion.

Just my final two cents:
Read all the information that Rob Watts is giving here on forum about noise about distortion about noise floor modulation etc.
Do listening tests, reevaluate your thinking and your assumptions. You will discover how a lot of the things can fool you that unit A is better more transparent more detailed then unit B.
I was the same going blinded in circle of constant changes in favor of balancing my system, once it was too dark once it was too hot in the treble and after changes it was again muddy in bass and piercing in highs again - causing listening fatigue after just hour of listening to the music. Constant nightmare. Not anymore.
That is a very good point. In that context I will reevaluate my opinion and I see now that it as a mistake to have stated that as a fact. I don’t use the THX789 to listen to music anymore as I find it flat and two dimensional but I still do use it to evaluate equipment as I have always found it to be transparent. Your points about distortion and noise floor modulation gives me something to think about.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #12,236 of 18,905
Oh dear oh dear. You might want to ask them why it still states you can in the manual.

Hugo-TT-2-User-Manual-V1.1.pdf

Feb 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #12,237 of 18,905
What might help provide us some context is what, if any, amplifier you've experienced does reproduce them realistically and what headphones were involved.
The most accurate high frequency reproduction I have ever heard in a headphone system was from the Holo May KTE running through the Eddie current Zane Deux super amp with the Hifiman He1000se Headphones.

I know that ball. From the Verite Closed thread. Has some, one man, bad cop good cop routine. Give it a day or two, it will come around, with burn-in' revelations.
If that is to say I am not a one dimensional sycophant. Complement taken.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #12,238 of 18,905
That’s exactly right! And that’s why I stated that this is a representation of my auditory circumstances. What I’m trying to get across is that from reading this entire thread the praise for the TT2 is almost universal and that is not my experience. To me the TT2 has substantial flaws that would eliminate it as an option for me as a standalone unit.
Audioraider, may I ask what are your music sources are, CD’s, streaming services, hard drive library of FLAC files? I use the HMS/TT2 combo with a Woo WA22 tube amp and Focal Utopia’s, and I find the sound on live classical and jazz recordings, streamed using Roon + TIDAL and Qobuz, to be very accurate and detailed. From the brushes on a snare drum, 🥁 to the attack and decay of a timpani and triangle, the sound is unflinchingly analytical and precise. If you’re hearing that some elements of your recordings are sounding recessed and less then stellar, I’d say that you should look at what kind of connecting cables that you are using. None of my interconnects are stock. That being said, everybody’s ears hear differently. Here’s my present hp system. I also have an Sbooster PSU powering my Hugo TT2.

Attachments

• CBCD5ECA-8AA1-4F2F-912A-8EEFA714A91B.jpeg
    CBCD5ECA-8AA1-4F2F-912A-8EEFA714A91B.jpeg
    930.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 09565C2A-BACE-40F2-9CE3-5520E0ED5256.jpeg
    09565C2A-BACE-40F2-9CE3-5520E0ED5256.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #12,239 of 18,905
That is a very good point. In that context I will reevaluate my opinion and I see now that it as a mistake to have stated that as a fact. I don’t use the THX789 to listen to music anymore as I find it flat and two dimensional but I still do use it to evaluate equipment as I have always found it to be transparent. Your points about distortion and noise floor modulation gives me something to think about.
If I find time I'll send you some links to Rob posts about different things like noise etc. and how it can influence your music experience. It gave me a lot in my audio journey.

edit: or I should rather say I'll do such list and give you in PM I just need some time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back