Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #10,996 of 18,905
This is a great idea! I honestly don't think too much about prices because I know I go through gear like crazy and will just end up selling whatever I buy for a small loss, which I consider the price of enjoyment. But, at the same time, I'm scared to actually put everything down on the spreadsheet and see exactly how much the losses add up to!
That's why I don't do this.. in order to avoid disappointment!

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #10,997 of 18,905
Hi,

I got a new pc with the Intel I9 9900K on a Gigabyte aorus z390 motherboard.

I installed the chord driver for windows 10 - And now the dac distorts regardless of what I am playing on it (windows sounds, chrome, Tidal,Spotify).

If I un-install the chord driver than the TT2 is working perfectly.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #10,999 of 18,905
I would suggest living with the stock BNC cables for a while before dropping significant money on upgraded cables If you purchase an M-Scaler. Nick’s cables have received many favorable reviews and I recall you can return them with no questions asked but I’d contact them directly to verify that’s still the case. I opted for a less expensive alternative from Moon Audio (silver dragon) and I am satisfied but I may try the Wave cables at a future point if I can preview a set.

Agreed. Another incremental step would be once you are adjusted to the MScaler with stock cables, start to add ferrites to the cables to see how that changes the sound.

I went:
-Stock BNC cables
-Other higher quality BNC cables ($40 range)
-Added ferrites to the upgraded BNC cables
-Wave storm

Each step validated the improvement in sound quality and justification in continuing to try to improve sound quality while not spending a lot until I bought the wave cables.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #11,000 of 18,905
Agreed. Another incremental step would be once you are adjusted to the MScaler with stock cables, start to add ferrites to the cables to see how that changes the sound.

I went:
-Stock BNC cables
-Other higher quality BNC cables ($40 range)
-Added ferrites to the upgraded BNC cables
-Wave storm

Each step validated the improvement in sound quality and justification in continuing to try to improve sound quality while not spending a lot until I bought the wave cables.
Or just get WAVE Storm cables and be done with it, thus saving the cost of other cables and ferrites. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sweat_smile:

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #11,002 of 18,905
@griff500 You are really pushing the Wave Storm cables, or am I wrong. I haven't been following the thread closely and I am a new HMS - TT2 owner, but have your last 4 posts or so all been about "just get these 2k euro cables"?

I am not saying you are affiliated or something, I just noticed that every post I saw in this thread for the past week basically saying just buy them has come from you. Are they really that fantastic? Does Rob Watts really use them as you said?

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #11,004 of 18,905
Probably what I will end up doing. Don’t even have an Mscaler yet.

tbh don’t even have a HTT2 yet either! Hope it arrives before Christmas.

are the WAVE storms officially 75 ohms ? I didn’t see anything on their website about that
Here is some information about 75 Ohm cables from Blue Jeans cable which may be more than you ever wanted to know!
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/75ohmrca.htm
Oops... forgot the second one. Better study—there will be a test later in the week...
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/impedance.htm

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #11,005 of 18,905
@griff500 You are really pushing the Wave Storm cables, or am I wrong. I haven't been following the thread closely and I am a new HMS - TT2 owner, but have your last 4 posts or so all been about "just get these 2k euro cables"?

I am not saying you are affiliated or something, I just noticed that every post I saw in this thread for the past week basically saying just buy them has come from you. Are they really that fantastic? Does Rob Watts really use them as you said?
Not trying to respond for @griff500 but there is (or seems to be) lots of hype about these cables among others who post here including one cable skeptic i know pretty well who is purchasing them for his DAVE (Dying to see how his significant other reacts when they show up!). As you know, these “improvements” are incredibly subjective and (I believe) reflect a change in what one may hear. It’s up to each of us to determine if it’s an actual improvement and for me, these cables are a bridge too far at least for now. I believe that Nick (Wave Cables) will take them back if someone isn’t happy though mid check with him first beforehand to see if that’s actually the case.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #11,007 of 18,905
Do you know if there is any feedback or reviews of the cheaper cables in the same range against the top ones? I’m in post 566 and haven’t seen much about them yet.
Here is the Audiobacon cable review which covers a range...spoiler alert; he likes the Wave. There is another review from the thirteenth note which first praises the Wave but then he trashes them in the comment section.
https://audiobacon.net/2018/08/11/the-audiophiles-short-list-the-best-digital-coaxial-cables/
https://www.13thnote.net/2019/05/30/wave-high-fidelity-cables-review/

Dec 10, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #11,009 of 18,905

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/watts-up.800264/post-15794400

In a further post on the next page he stated:

"To conclude: Wave cables work technically and subjectively. Only you can decide from trying them whether it's worth the cost, and represents value to you."

I don't think I am 'pushing' them any more than any other person might when in a discussion where connections have been mentioned and they are happy with their choice. I have simply responded to that part of the dialogue over recent days - I have probably commented on various other things in the forum since I joined (fairly recently, because I have upgraded the entirety of my system in the last month or so). I've yet to see anyone say that they tried them and didn't keep them and they are the most recent bit of equipment that I have purchased.

But yes, in my opinion they are that good and no, I am not affiliated with the Company - I wish I was as I would have saved some money!

They aren't 2,000 EUR - I believe that they are about 25% less than that for the ones with Oyaide connectors (I got the Furutech ones). They are not cheap of course but let's not say they are 500 EUR more than the top of the range ones.

PS: Don't get upset but I'm responding to more questions/comments about them after this... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #11,010 of 18,905
Do you know if there is any feedback or reviews of the cheaper cables in the same range against the top ones? I’m in post 566 and haven’t seen much about them yet.
I have tried Stream and Storm. If that is the comparison you are looking for then I would say that I could easily have been happy with the Stream cables but I compared directly with the Storm cables in my system and there was a difference that I liked and I could afford the extra. I obviously cannot speak for you with regard to whether the additional cost is worth the difference as that's subjective. The Stream cables made a noticeable difference for me compared with stock cables. The Storm cables gave me just a little bit more.

I believe the primary differences are in construction - connectors can be expensive and account for a decent part of the difference, plus I believe that the Storm use silver cable rather than copper in the Stream cables. For some that might make the Stream a better option - others might think it makes bugger all difference to them. They are very nicely made and it seems clear that some thought and effort has gone into them.

I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back