Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 19, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #10,261 of 18,905
What's the street price on a new TT2 in the US?

I'm based in AU where this unit retails for $8500 AUD ($6150 USD).

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #10,262 of 18,905
Dave is the King but he is almost Joe Biden old and so not sure good value to buy new since so expensive relative to TT2 especially given far more likely Dave 2 comes out before TT3 and despite how excellent Dave is most still buy the M Scaler to make it better. Buy used Dave or wait for Dave 3 unless you got mad Cash.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #10,263 of 18,905
listened to both on their internal headphone amps.... given that DAVE amp is not as good as TT2 amp I can only imagine that each would sound nice with a different amp.... however this does not impact the result... DAVE wins hands down EVEN with an inferior amp.... actually its better than hands down.... the spatial data simply does not exist in the TT2.... dying to try this with BACCH4MAC.... my RAIDHO diamond tweeter being repaired in the EU and I should have it back next week to test 2 chan with mDAVE BACCH.

What do you think about MS+TT2 vs solo Dave? thanks

Aug 19, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #10,264 of 18,905
stop tormenting yourselves with Dave. Be happy, iam with just tt supplied by a DX, wonderful stuff. If I wanted to drop 15 g on Dave I would in a heartbeat,

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #10,265 of 18,905
stop tormenting yourselves with Dave. Be happy, iam with just tt supplied by a DX, wonderful stuff. If I wanted to drop 15 g on Dave I would in a heartbeat,
You can get a used Dave for half that price now..... thus making it very easy to decide to go Dave vs TT2. Once you hear the diff side by side you can’t go back to tt2..... keep in mind i am also a happy tt2 owner.... and said to mySelf that unless the delta was real.... not marginal... like going from a H2 to mTT2... I was planning to sell the Dave immediately.

The difference is significant. MDave:Analog, atmospherics and life VS mTT2:flat... absence of atmospherics... feels lifeless. Was noticeable on every track.

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #10,266 of 18,905
Thats nothing new, common knowledge for 5 years already

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #10,268 of 18,905
you obviously choose to live in denial. :L3000:

however your logic is flawed... TT2 has only been out for just under 2 years.
dave and tt have been out for 5 years about now. Nothing new. I’m not in denial Dave has always been better than tt as tt has always been better than hugo which always has been better than mojo. That’s the way the line works

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #10,269 of 18,905
sure you can get a used Dave for half price for 7K even but you can also get a TT2 used for under 4K so the spread is still at least 3K. You can almost get a TT2 with a HMS for same price as the Dave. As excellent as Dave is it aint so great that the Dave users are not frequently also getting the HMS. Either way you shake it the guif is 3K. If its worth that to you awesome but some of us also listen to vinyl or even prefer vinyl (personally I do) and am only listening to digital 1/5 of the time. Sorry your Dave may not beat an excellent vinyl setup because often the vinyl mastering is better than the digital mastering of recordings and you can only a polish a turd so far. Enjoy the Dave but I am sure there is someone out there with a DCS Rossini who claims the same about the Dave.....people love to jump on or off the train. The mind loves the newest thing. a year from now the Dave 2 comes out and some of those buyer will probably say the Dave is lifeless relatively speaking.......

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #10,270 of 18,905
@Matt Bartlett

Matt, please could you put an idea forward to Chord Electronics.

For those of us who are possibly unlikely to buy a Poly or a 2Go. Could you develop a module for us.

Something like a DAP sized gadget with a screen, but no built-in DAC:
  • No internal memory needed, as SD-card playback would be fine.
  • No streaming technology at all. (No wifi, no bluetooth.)
  • Non-custom replaceable battery.
  • USB or optical out to Chord DACs, like Mojo and Hugo 2.
  • Up to 765KHz sampling rate playback.

Last night I was playing back files from a DAP (My Sony ZX300) to Hugo 2. It struck me that what we need is a DAP type gadget, without the DAC. I have Mojo also, so a device not subject to DAC build shape like Poly made to fit Mojo. Just a wire connect for using DACs about the home.

Poly and 2Go are for portable use. However many of us wanted a SD-card playback only Poly type module. It's actually what was originally envisaged by Chord. Separate modules for the Mojo, like SD-card, BT, etc. Until they came up with Poly.

However just a DAP shaped module that connects by wire to DAC would suit the rest of us.

(EDIT: Meant this for the Hugo 2 thread.)

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #10,271 of 18,905
you obviously choose to live in denial. :L3000:
@Matt Bartlett

Matt, please could you put an idea forward to Chord Electronics.

For those of us who are possibly unlikely to buy a Poly or a 2Go. Could you develop a module for us.

Something like a DAP sized gadget with a screen, but no built-in DAC:
  • No internal memory needed, as SD-card playback would be fine.
  • No streaming technology at all. (No wifi, no bluetooth.)
  • Non-custom replaceable battery.
  • USB or optical out to Chord DACs, like Mojo and Hugo 2.
  • Up to 765KHz sampling rate playback.

Last night I was playing back files from a DAP (My Sony ZX300) to Hugo 2. It struck me that what we need is a DAP type gadget, without the DAC. I have Mojo so it makes sense to have a device not subject to DAC build shape. Just a wire connect for using DACs about the home.

Poly and 2Go are for portable use. However many of us wanted a SD-card playback Poly type module. It's actually what was originally envisaged by Chord. separate modules for the Mojo, like SD-card, BT, etc. Until they came up with Poly.

However just a DAP shaped module that connects by wire to DAC would suit the rest of us.
Will never happen.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM Post #10,272 of 18,905
Will never happen.

Unfortunately I suspect you are right.
To easy and too cheap to make so Chord is most probably NOT interested in making anything like that available.
They could easily have made what was asked for, but chose to complicate things with two add ons no screen and charge a lot for all the hazzle involved instead.

The one and only reason I own any Chord products at all after Hugo 1, is for Rob's Mscaling tech, otherwise I would have chosen products from companies that care more about their customers and the environment, than Chord does.
No software updating possible is REALLY annoying with products that sell for the prices Chord 's products sell for.
They want to sell you a new big shiny metal box with fancy lights, for at least 5-10 k in a few years when software has been updated ,instead.
The only reasonably priced high SQ product in the Chord line is Qutest imho.
If one adds an Mscaler to Qutest it is imho clearly better than TT2 on its own.
And with an Mscaler added yes TT2 is a bit better than Q/HMS but what you are paying for is mainly the headphone amp.
But unfortunately you also need the Mscaler and expensive BNC cabling from others to make it sound really good.
TT2 on it own? No way as far as I am concerned.
And unlike the underpowered H2 one can use much more powerful and still transparent headphone amps with Qutest.
With H2 it is more complicated.
Luckily there seem to be quite a few DAPs that can be used with Q/HMS and the other dacs.

PS. Enjoy your DAVE/HMS but be aware that if you would want to listen to dynamically non compressed large scale hi res recorded symphonic music via some of the more demanding and most transparent highend headphones you will also need to add a very good and in some cases also almost as expensive as Dave itself or as expensive a HMS to make the combo really shine and come to life.

That apart from the price still asked for a product that's been out for quite a few years now, is the main reason I have not bought a Dave.
When Rob developed Dave I think he was only using iems and Audioquest Nighhawks?
But his current amp projects may be very interesting when they materialize, alas not soon I suspect.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #10,273 of 18,905
Who wants a DAP? Especially a non dac dap? once you are at the chord level a quality server is the only viable option to achieve sq level worthy. You can use any old dap, or iPhone as is now, if that’s what one desires. Now a dap with dac certainly would be another thing, but would canabilize hugo mojo sales.

Aug 20, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #10,274 of 18,905
Unfortunately I suspect you are right.
To easy and too cheap to make so Chord is most probably NOT interested in making anything like that available.
They could easily have made what was asked for, but chose to complicate things with two add ons no screen and charge a lot for all the hazzle involved instead.

The one and only reason I own any Chord products at all after Hugo 1, is for Rob's Mscaling tech, otherwise I would have chosen products from companies that care more about their customers and the environment, than Chord does.
No software updating possible is REALLY annoying with products that sell for the prices Chord 's products sell for.
They want to sell you a new big shiny metal box with fancy lights, for at least 5-10 k in a few years when software has been updated ,instead.
The only reasonably priced high SQ product in the Chord line is Qutest imho.
If one adds an Mscaler to Qutest it is imho clearly better than TT2 on its own.
And with an Mscaler added yes TT2 is a bit better than Q/HMS but what you are paying for is mainly the headphone amp.
But unfortunately you also need the Mscaler and expensive BNC cabling from others to make it sound really good.
TT2 on it own? No way as far as I am concerned.
And unlike the underpowered H2 one can use much more powerful and still transparent headphone amps with Qutest.
With H2 it is more complicated.
Luckily there seem to be quite a few DAPs that can be used with Q/HMS and the other dacs.

PS. Enjoy your DAVE/HMS but be aware that if you would want to listen to dynamically non compressed large scale hi res recorded symphonic music via some of the more demanding and most transparent highend headphones you will also need to add a very good and in some cases also almost as expensive as Dave itself or as expensive a HMS to make the combo really shine and come to life.

That apart from the price still asked for a product that's been out for quite a few years now, is the main reason I have not bought a Dave.
When Rob developed Dave I think he was only using iems and Audioquest Nighhawks?
But his current amp projects may be very interesting when they materialize, alas not soon I suspect.
Cheers CC

For me, I would much rather not use a DAP for file source. My Sony ZX300 will need a new battery before too long. Finding a battery replacement is not easy. Unless I send it to Sony and pay a lot, the DAP is finished - throwaway. Complete disaster. We a need a module which has easily replaceable batteries, rather than killing a DAP. Since a module like this won't be processing like the DAC, battery life would only depend on screen really.

I think for the very low cost of design, they would easily sell units. I would buy one immediately. I use Hugo 2 or Mojo about the home when sat down. Buying a Poly or 2Go for that is pointless and expensive.

Anyway, sorry yeah, I meant this for Hugo 2 and Mojo threads.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #10,275 of 18,905
Who wants a DAP? Especially a non dac dap? once you are at the chord level a quality server is the only viable option to achieve sq level worthy. You can use any old dap, or iPhone as is now, if that’s what one desires. Now a dap with dac certainly would be another thing, but would canabilize hugo mojo sales.

I would definitely want one,
With my three current different cd player/ transports all sounding a bit different feeding Mscaler, and not quite as clean as I would ideally want, internal dacs interferring? a dac-less DAP that would play the formats I need ie DSD 64/128/256 and why not DSD 512 and DSD 1024 as well, plus of course pcm from 16/44.1 up to 32/768khz could possibly be THE optimal way to feed clean signals to my Mscaler from an 2-4 tb ssd card?
And if like my macbook pro it also had a handy little remote I wouldn't need to keep moving my mbp from it's office location on a daily basis.
I could of course also spend the price of a Dave on an Innous Statement server but I won't!
"Different courses for different horses"
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back